Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The Small Arms Thread, Part 8: 2018; ICSR to be replaced by US Army with interim 15mm Revolver Cannon.

Khand-e

So we have a pretty extensive Mauser Vs. Mosin challenge video coming up soon and this is just one section of it. The Mosin is an M91/30 and the Mauser is a 1901 production Gewehr 98 made by Mauser in Oberndorf and bears an Ulm proof mark. This is just a simple rapid fire test.

Keep in mind, Miles is a Marine infantryman and professional firearms instructor (who owns and likes Mosins).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GN_F3XiCPo

I will say that we gave each gun a fair go.

The most interesting part of the test (and most eye opening) was running across a field to cover while trying to hit a steel silhouette 100 meters away. Moving and shooting with a bolt action rifle is hard, but doing it while trying to be accurate is much harder.

So we have a pretty extensive Mauser Vs. Mosin challenge video coming up soon and this is just one section of it. The Mosin is an M91/30 and the Mauser is a 1901 production Gewehr 98 made by Mauser in Oberndorf and bears an Ulm proof mark. This is just a simple rapid fire test.

Keep in mind, Miles is a Marine infantryman and professional firearms instructor (who owns and likes Mosins).

well shit, the G-98 seemed easy to shoot, but i had no idea it was THAT easy

Still a member of the mosin master race, for whatever reason i seem to be more accurate with them than any bolt 

I knew you were biased Alex, but this is blatant even for you. Miles is clearly not using the Mosin correctly; he doesn't even have a commissar behind him yelling at him about killing fascists!

For shame.

Genuine questions about it

1. Was that Miles' Mosin or yours?

2. I can't see his hands well, is he using the same speed shooting technique you are?

3. Looks like Miles had trouble with the clip. Do you think he just wasn't as used to stripper clip reloading or are the clips that finicky?

Keep in mind, I'm only a pro-Mosin guy when it's funny. I don't even own one at this time and I probably never will again because I really don't like them that much - I do own a Mauser.

Keep in mind, I'm only a pro-Mosin guy when it's funny. I don't even own one at this time and I probably never will again because I really don't like them that much - I do own a Mauser.

Im just more confortable with the mosin

being that im close to 7 American feet tall and 300ish American pounds, the Mosin dosent feel uncomfortable at all, and i find them alot easier to land shots with than Mausers

that and the whole Russian bias thing

Genuine questions about it

1. Was that Miles' Mosin or yours?

2. I can't see his hands well, is he using the same speed shooting technique you are?

3. Looks like Miles had trouble with the clip. Do you think he just wasn't as used to stripper clip reloading or are the clips that finicky?

It was my Mosin, and is a rather unremarkable M91/30.

The technique I was using was not possible with the Mosin as the bolt requires significantly more leverage/strength to work. Both rifles may be cock-on-open, but the Mosins need more force to move that cocking piece.

The clips on Mosins are always tricky it seems. Rimmed cartridges never seem to be as conducive to stripping as rimless ones.

Miles is well acquainted with stripped clips, but I imagine the pressure of being in a little competition resulted in some careless haste.

Rimmed rounds are a major obstacle, that's for sure. Every nation with a rimmed round in service tried very hard to replace it, except the Russians until WWII. Or at least, the Russian sources I have read are much less transparent about their dissatisfaction about rimmed ammunition.

Hm, good point about the technique. I've never tried the ol' middle finger trick with a Mosin, come to think of it. I've done a little speed shooting with M44s before, and I usually karate chop/knife hand the bolt open and punch it closed. OK, now that I mention that it makes the Mosin sound really bad, but there's something fun about operating a bolt action entirely with your major muscle groups (except the trigger).

You can find "slick" MN's, they just tend to be uncommon in the U.S., at least in their unmolested forms.

A lot of the ones imported here are pretty mediocre examples. Just like how most of the early SKS's imported were often force matched hashups.

If you can accept a rifle with ergonomics that feels like it was made by a seventh grader with a scrap 2x4 and a dull saber saw then sure. Sights are meh. Bolt feels sand papery as metal rasps against metal. No safety. It is very utilitarian. But lags behind Springfield, Enfield, Mauser, Mosin and the much maligned Arisakas IMO along with a load of other guns.

The bayonet is LOL fun.

Again, we are talking military bolt guns. There isn't THAT much difference. But the recent spell of MAS 36 champ-eening amounts to a lot of gun hipster ism.