Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The Small Arms Thread, Part 8: 2018; ICSR to be replaced by US Army with interim 15mm Revolver Cannon.

Khand-e

There were (are) a lot of really awful Mausers, Enfields and '03's out there.

I know this as I've owned some of them. 

I'd be willing to guess that once you got past the ammo issue, a '36 would actually have a better chance of shooting well off the rack than many of the more common surplus rifles out there, just because not many of them have been monkeyed with and fewer overall were made.

(ETA) Oh, and that rampside Corvair pickup was a damn cool idea. An uncle had one til the michigan winters chewed it up.

I guess the test is to see which one shoots Michael Buble CDs better...

Edit: I have a soft spot in my heart for Corvairs since one of the crazy guys in my neighborhood where I grew up "collected" them and had just under 100 in various stages of disrepair parked and stacked on top of each other on two city blocks.

"The rifle is not fine"

0_1366a4_1663f961_orig.jpg

http://twower.livejournal.com/1761540.html

SF guy small rant about Russian Forces (Army, Police, Internal troops, etc) don't have clear rules about weapon mods, and he rant about some situation when it is a problem.

Its not a bad article

Buy you cant just slap around standards for all branches

espically the military, why added so many rails to guns when Russia's main arm (motorized infrantry) is still feed mostly by conscription

I tell ya

My generation didnt have any rails on our Ak-74's and we still managed to keep the Great Satan west from pouring into West Germany by sheer fear  :lol:

9y3592r.gif

When searching for "Surplus 7.62x54mmR" in image search, this was like 3rd row on the list of results.

Oh, you can't see what's so shocking about it because the site auto loads youtube links? ALLOW ME TO ENLIGHTEN YOU COMRADE TIED!

555facc9604ed08234443a3d06952fba.jpg

He truly does conspire and connive in all things!

Hey. I'm not trying to bash Sturgeon for digging a French rifle. Far from it. But if we find out that he has been listening to Michael Buble while sipping a Napa Valley red wine and submitting articles to Oprah's magazine, don't say I didn't warn ya!

Whatever turns people's bolts. Hell, I'm the guy that unironically tries to make the case that there are niche roles still for lever action rifles in modern shooting.

Literally every MAS I've cycled over the years felt that way. Maybe Century Arms sent a shittier batch up to the Big 5 stores 12 years back and the result has been sitting on gun shelves since.

Which is always the trouble with comparing these mil surp rifles because so many of them vary in quality.

As per the MAS, there is great value to pointing out that it isn't a complete pile and was (and is if you can find the right one) a perfectly adequate gun.

But it's not a Springfield, Enfield, Mauser, etc. Now I get the need for people to want to shake up same boring "Best Military Bolt Gun" list by throwing in something made by the Swiss or Norwegians. And with the collectibles market being out of whack, who wants to pay $800 for a Speingfield that has been rotting in some warehouse for 7 decades or a Mauser that Mitchell butchered?

You see the same with classic cars now that 99 percent of all GTOs and Corvettes and whatnot are restored, you'll have guys glomming onto the Corvair for instance as being a great classic.

Now comparing a MAS to a Corvair is unfair to the former. But it's a fair example of hipster ism that I was referring to where folks take a little known thing (in this case relatively speaking) and pretend that it's better than the societal norm. In the case of Internet gun wankery, the difference with mil surp bolt guns isn't that much even.

Yeah, except no, the MAS is quite an excellent design, and I'd take it over any Mauser any day of the week. Enfield, well, I'm partial especially if it's an Enfield in .308 that can't get rimlock, but the MAS has things going for it over the service Enfield types.

1903 Springfields are OK, but I've never been particularly partial to them. The A3 is the best of the lot, but it's a soulless rifle with almost zip for service history. If you like it you like it, and it's a good rifle in a lot of ways, but even service record aside I prefer the MAS. The 1917 is a boat oar and while it was great for WWI, if we're taking all surplus bolt guns together you can do a lot better (like a MAS!).

And for the record Alex, I never claimed the MAS sucks. It's just not as good a weapon as many of the more well known (and lesser known) bolt guns.

What I have been taking umbrage at is the notion that the MAS is suddenly the best bolt gun ever and is the best French innovation since the blow job.

And for the record Alex, I never claimed the MAS sucks. It's just not as good a weapon as many of the more well known (and lesser known) bolt guns.

What I have been taking umbrage at is the notion that the MAS is suddenly the best bolt gun ever and is the best French innovation since the blow job.

It's one of the best. It's as good as the Enfield, better than the Mauser in a lot of ways, and at least as good as the Springfield. All given that you accept French doctrinal requirements regarding rear sight windage adjustment and safeties. If you don't, then fine, yeah, the MAS 36 is probably not for you, but then you probably weren't going to use it for hunting, were you?

So then, do you care about the historical context? In which case, the French cared for neither of those things and the MAS was perfectly suited to their needs. Export customers, had their been any, would have requested safeties and windage adjustable rear sights, and the factories would have been happy to oblige them. We know this is the case because commercial MAS 36s have... Safeties and windage-adjustable sights.

In the context within which the rifle was developed, the MAS 36 is an excellent design. Evaluated these rifles any other way, and you'll quickly conclude that the Winchester Model 70 is the best surplus bolt gun there is, so I don't see the point of that.

I wish there was a way to put this whole "THE MAS SUCKS", "NO IT DOESNT" to rest.

I mean I have the equipment, but no method.

You need someone unbiased.  In the firearms world, that is akin to finding an honest politician.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015/08/25/wal-mart-abandons-ar-15-shooters-good/

I can actually see this being a straight up business model decision.  The profit margin might not be high enough to keep them happy given the way that their business model works. AR market is... pretty big and varied.

The bolt action that was too late. Had this come out 15 years earlier, the Danish would have had something here. Very light and handy rifle with a nice rubber butt pad and muzzle brake. 30-06 that accepts 1903 stripper clips and is a joy to shoot. The sights are also excellent and very Arisaka like:

51dpok.jpg