Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The Small Arms Thread, Part 8: 2018; ICSR to be replaced by US Army with interim 15mm Revolver Cannon.

Khand-e

Oh hey. I was expecting a different result with my tantrum. This was better!

Alex. Thanks for that. I'll be catching up on the TFB YouTubery once I get back to civilization and have more data to spare. And of course Sturgeon does a good job. I might not always agree with the conclusions. But I appreciate the fact that you actually give a shit about what your name is attached to.

Having been in the newspaper business, I realize the limitations writers and editors have in filling the news hole each day. And sometimes you have to find any old thing to fill up space. On the other hand, TFB is on the damn Internet and you have the luxury to explore issues and topics at length without having to worry about space constraints that gun magazine writers had to contend with in the past where you only had room for 600-800 words tops.

And that's the difference. Having grown up reading old gun magazines, Shooters Bibles and whatnot, there is something missing. The old timers might have got things wrong, had quaint notions of ballistics or what a good gun was. But they wrote with a Voice that was entertaining and unique often to that writer.

I have heard an anecdote that when Stoner and Kalashnikov met they were quite friendly with one another talking about all sorts of things when Kalashnikov said, "My design earned me respect and military honors. In fact I became a Hero of the Soviet Union. Did you receive any such honors?".

Stoner replied, "No, they just pay me lots of money". Apparently this confused Kalashnikov.

Capitalism FTW.

giphy.gif

TFBTV has an ammo sponsor, but rounding up all those guns and condensing the test into a reasonable amount of time would be impossible.

Youtube lets you see audience retention rate, and we average about 5 minutes.

You have 32 seconds to grab a viewers attention too, or they exit. This is why I generally open with a mag dump or action shot.

I got to admit, the reasons above are why I don't really get into most gun channels. The amount of times I've clicked away as some shaky video with a mush-mouthed hick in an iron lung starts with

"Uhhhhhh this is uhhh the uh Sturm-Gyooer 44 and uhh fun fact actually it was uhhh actually Adolf Hitler himself actually who actually uhhh."

It's not really always action that grabs me. What usually grabs me by your videos is clear, un-obscured views of the guns, occasional action, and good conversation between you and Patrick. Likewise, for Forgotten Weapons, I know he's going to give me good views of the interesting and moving parts, and a massive dump of information without any sort of politics or hyperbole. Setting a tone of what's to come instead of just mumbling with no direction can help at least someone like me pay attention.

I got to admit, the reasons above are why I don't really get into most gun channels. The amount of times I've clicked away as some shaky video with a mush-mouthed hick in an iron lung starts with

"Uhhhhhh this is uhhh the uh Sturm-Gyooer 44 and uhh fun fact actually it was uhhh actually Adolf Hitler himself actually who actually uhhh."

It's not really always action that grabs me. What usually grabs me by your videos is clear, un-obscured views of the guns, occasional action, and good conversation between you and Patrick. Likewise, for Forgotten Weapons, I know he's going to give me good views of the interesting and moving parts, and a massive dump of information without any sort of politics or hyperbole. Setting a tone of what's to come instead of just mumbling with no direction can help at least someone like me pay attention.

There was a video, "Machine guns of Germany", that I still hold in high regard because it never said a thing.

Just some period music, and some very good images of the more common German MG's.

I've tried getting people interested in a similar effort to post on Youtube, back when I was staff at the Big Sandy.  Lots of people interested, but the logistics just were not there.

Add to this that many collectors of these weapons are becoming more and more "private" for the most part, as the guns themselves increase in monetary value, and it's going to be increasingly difficult to pull something like this off without financial backing.

People would be all up for it til I actually began trying to set up a date to do the filming. then it'd be "welll,"...

There was a video, "Machine guns of Germany", that I still hold in high regard because it never said a thing.

Just some period music, and some very good images of the more common German MG's.

I've tried getting people interested in a similar effort to post on Youtube, back when I was staff at the Big Sandy.  Lots of people interested, but the logistics just were not there.

Add to this that many collectors of these weapons are becoming more and more "private" for the most part, as the guns themselves increase in monetary value, and it's going to be increasingly difficult to pull something like this off without financial backing.

People would be all up for it til I actually began trying to set up a date to do the filming. then it'd be "welll,"...

Can we go film right now Meplat? Lets go!

Since it's totally OK these days to steal a fellow's work and not attribute the information, I found a new website that has these totally awesome photos of rifles looking down the sights...

My favorite is the Ethiopian Mauser.

Ethiopian-Mauser-FN-M30.jpg

Keep in mind, the Ethiopians had SEVERAL of these fearsome weapons.

Well gee

Its almost like 5.56 and other smaller Assault Rifle cartridges are designed for combat under 300 meters becuase thats the range that most combat toke place in during a little known conflict known as the 2nd world war, and that many nations based on said experience in that narrow field of operations that included North Africa to Stalingrad to Manchuria decided that it was best to trade a heavier round for more recoil management and full/semi auto fire below 300 meters

LOL some retards are saying Germany should go back to the G3

You know, the battle rifle that every 1st world nation who received them has been working their asses off pouring millions into programs to replace them 

LOL some retards are saying Germany should go back to the G3

You know, the battle rifle that every 1st world nation who received them has been working their asses off pouring millions into programs to replace them 

But, but, GREECE uses them! clearly a shining example of a modern, active military funded by a country with a massive budget behind it.