Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The Small Arms Thread, Part 8: 2018; ICSR to be replaced by US Army with interim 15mm Revolver Cannon.

Khand-e

Sturgeon. Every army has doctrinal requirements which are balanced by technological, production and financial needs.

The sights on the MAS are terrible. Like one step up from emergency rifle bad. Now are they good enough to wing in a round to the general vicinity of the enemy? Yeah. Do they differ markedly from the fine sights on the 1903 and 1917 Enfield because American doctrine was "Every Man A Rifleman". Yes.

Do either really matter since the majority of the offensive power is going to be delivered by crew served direct and indirect weapons? You bet.

Let's take a look at other aspects of the MAS. Was the 7.5 a game changer in cartridge development? Nope. It's a 30 cal round that is a little less powerful than the 30.06 and 8mm Mauser but it performs a bit better than the .303 and isn't rimmed. So there's that.

Is the magazine really innovative? No. It holds five rounds and is fed via a stripper clip. Same as most.

And damn. I've got Alaska shit to do. Yeah I know the bolt on the MAS is what guys have been creaming themselves over.

Sturgeon. Every army has doctrinal requirements which are balanced by technological, production and financial needs.

The sights on the MAS are terrible. Like one step up from emergency rifle bad. Now are they good enough to wing in a round to the general vicinity of the enemy? Yeah. Do they differ markedly from the fine sights on the 1903 and 1917 Enfield because American doctrine was "Every Man A Rifleman". Yes.

Do either really matter since the majority of the offensive power is going to be delivered by crew served direct and indirect weapons? You bet.

Let's take a look at other aspects of the MAS. Was the 7.5 a game changer in cartridge development? Nope. It's a 30 cal round that is a little less powerful than the 30.06 and 8mm Mauser but it performs a bit better than the .303 and isn't rimmed. So there's that.

Is the magazine really innovative? No. It holds five rounds and is fed via a stripper clip. Same as most.

And damn. I've got Alaska shit to do. Yeah I know the bolt on the MAS is what guys have been creaming themselves over.

The sights are combat sights, not target sights. They're very good combat sights.

Who gives a shit that the round is unremarkable? It's a good cartridge, and does everything it needs to.

Is the magazine innovative? Who gives a shit? We're not rating them on historical significance, we want to know whether it's a good weapon. The MAS 36 is a good weapon, one of the best of its type.

Been a while, but I don't remember the rear sight on the MAS36 being that bad.  It was a lot like the one on my '49 but without the fine elevation adjustment for the rear peep.  The front sight looks absurdly huge til you actually use it.

I was told there was a fight about bolt action rifles.

From a military standpoint the MAS 36 is a strong contender for top of the list because it is:

Short and relatively light but with enough heft for recoil control

Rear aperture sighted

extremely simple construction makes it robust and easy to maintain (simplest bolt ever)

Manufactured to share tooling with a semi-auto rifle

Simple rear locking lugs mean very low machine time to produce.

massive bolt body is strong, works with rear lugs to provide mud/sand resistant mechanism

standarized short rifle for simplification of issue/inventory

two piece stock is very resistant to cracking/failing/wet weather swelling

So yeah, add all of those up and it's a great rifle from the perspective of a large military.

I mean, it's no Arisaka Type 99 though.

I was told there was a fight about bolt action rifles.

From a military standpoint the MAS 36 is a strong contender for top of the list because it is:

Short and relatively light but with enough heft for recoil control

Rear aperture sighted

extremely simple construction makes it robust and easy to maintain (simplest bolt ever)

Manufactured to share tooling with a semi-auto rifle

Simple rear locking lugs mean very low machine time to produce.

massive bolt body is strong, works with rear lugs to provide mud/sand resistant mechanism

standarized short rifle for simplification of issue/inventory

two piece stock is very resistant to cracking/failing/wet weather swelling

So yeah, add all of those up and it's a great rifle from the perspective of a large military.

I mean, it's no Arisaka Type 99 though.

Welcome to SH. :D

Is.... Is that Ian McCollum?!

*Sprints out of thread in blind terror.*

Come back Khan

this forum is a lifeboat from Tank.net, Wot forums, ah.com, and the half a dozen Firearms forums with a UI straight out of 98 you spergs read twice a day

Maybe one day this forum will gather a personality of its own other than the feeding trough for Nathan's Ego and EE's alts, probably on the day i buy this website for a shack full of mosins, but until then this is the Hospital waiting room where we all compare each others respective battle wounds 

It's really funny how e-famous Ian has gotten. I remember when his site was a glorified html web 1.0 page with nothing but info on the M1 Carbine trials guns... *sniff* Mah babeh's all growed up!

Hey remember, some of use were around when you were just a dumbass who knew a lot about guns, instead of a smartass getting paid to ramble about how much you know about guns. :P