Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The Small Arms Thread, Part 8: 2018; ICSR to be replaced by US Army with interim 15mm Revolver Cannon.

Khand-e

Oh believe me, if it were up to Nathaniel, Miles, Patrick, James, a few others, and myself then things would be different.

But yes, I agree with everything you said. The "look at this shit I found on facebook!" stuff irks the hell out, as does a number of other things I won't discuss.

That is why I started TFBTV. I did not want my reviews and articles to get lost in a sea of press releases and buzzfeed style firearm posts.

I've been enjoying TFB TB in general.  You guys seem to have fun with it anyway, while trying to be informative. A couple of TFB writers really have been mailing it in lately tho.

Also realize that TFBTV is meant to be a fun program rather than strictly informative. I react negatively when I watch a video with an authoritative jerk trying to instruct me, so I think the friendly banter between Patrick and I works, and James does a nice job as well with humor.

One thing we have learned is that video is hard (even ones that look simple). If you watch our early videos compared to our new ones, the difference in quality is mind blowing.

It is also funny how your personality and demeanor changes when that camera starts recording. This was bad at first but now we are pretty normal on camera.

Miles recently came down to shoot some videos with me and he revealed something pretty shocking. We have a writer that steals other peoples videos with a screen capture program, uploads them to his own channel, and posts the video on TFB.

I'm surprised that you guys haven't gotten into shit for that then. Oo

Miles recently came down to shoot some videos with me and he revealed something pretty shocking. We have a writer that steals other peoples videos with a screen capture program, uploads them to his own channel, and posts the video on TFB.

Oh wow, so he gets paid for posting the video and the views on his YT channel?

That's scummy as hell.

Oh wow, so he gets paid for posting the video and the views on his YT channel?

That's scummy as hell.

Indeed.

And unethical for, you know, stealing someone else's content.

Also, one time his title photo was a picture of him using the screen capture application. I almost died laughing... then I got sad.

The issue is blaming a firearm on obvious user error, Sturgeon. It would be like me saying the AR or some other semi is a bad weapon because you can insert a magazine into it with a wrong (but similar) caliber cartridge load, chamber a round and blow yourself up. Something slightly harder to do in a Marlin 45-70 although not impossible.

Oh, Don, I know what it's about, I was just giving you a hard time. ;) Ask Alex about the time I turned into the most valiant Mosin-Nagant defender in the TFB comments.

You forgot to mention "It's literally fucking Oshkosh ugly" under "The Ugly" in the the UZI Pro review.

STEP UP YOUR GAME NATHANIEL!

I also couldn't help but notice at least one, or, actually infact, all of your hammer fired pistol reviews don't include "Inferior to Striker fired master race" under "The Bad".

STEP UP YOUR GAME TFB!

However, being that it's nearly 5 pounds, you can at least comfort yourself in saying "Well, on the bright side, that's only a quarter of the weight required to actually pull the trigger on this affront before god."

Honestly though, a piece you could actually do on TFB for... reasons I guess. Here's my idea.

Since every company and their mom (or, in some cases, their ex wives and children) want to continue the trend of the striker fired master race, you should do a gauntlet comparing the newest/most popular ones on the market to determine who is lord of the range.

Rules and shit because why not.

All calibers will be in 9mm Luger if said model has multiple calibers for consistency reasons.

If the gun comes in multiple size models (Full, Compact, Subcompact), Also choose the same at your discretion for consistency once again.

There should be a variety of different tests for accuracy, reliability, size, durability, trigger pull and feel, weight and balance, modularity, standard magazine capacity, asking the reviewers on perceived recoil of different designs, testing ergonomics and maybe trying them with various writers with different hand sizes to test comfort, etc etc. Probably a few I forgot but, I'm sure you guys are competent enough to strip it to the core.

And I guess just list the most popular currently or some of the up and coming designs from well known and popular handgun manufacturers, sample list would be like.

Glock 17 Gen 4

Sig P320

FN FNS-9

S&W M&P9

Walther PPQ M2

Steyr M9-A1

Beretta APX (Is this fucking thing even in stores yet?)

Springfield XDm (I fucking hate myself for having to include this, but it's unfortunately popular in the market.)

Ruger SR9

H&K VP9 (I'd like to remind you, if I haven't mentioned it yet that I hate myself.)

If there's any designs I forgot.....fuck if I know, add them?

Anyways, you should totally do that now.

TFBTV has an ammo sponsor, but rounding up all those guns and condensing the test into a reasonable amount of time would be impossible.

Youtube lets you see audience retention rate, and we average about 5 minutes.

You have 32 seconds to grab a viewers attention too, or they exit. This is why I generally open with a mag dump or action shot.

You guys could try making it a multi part series or a written series or something so it's not a video people risk getting bored over (though that may imply people read, also not a very high chance.)

I wonder what the average retention time for Nutnfancy viewers is.

Depends on how long they stay upright before choking on their own mouse probably.