Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The Small Arms Thread, Part 8: 2018; ICSR to be replaced by US Army with interim 15mm Revolver Cannon.

Khand-e

Pedersen was such a unique genius that he was able to take the limitations Browning imposed on pistol design through his patents and turn them into opportunities. For example, Browning held the patent on attaching grip panels via screw. Pedersen took this as a challenge and came up with a reusable rivet system that is arguably better and certainly better looking. As another example, Browning's patent on the tilting barrel mechanism caused Pedersen to come up with hesitation locking - oh, that's right, for those folks who don't know, the above pistol, the Remington 51, operates via a completely unique mechanism. Not only is it totally unique to Pedersen so far as I know, it's arguably a better mechanism for pistols of that type than any other, provided the manufacturer can hold the tolerances they need to.

If I keep going about how unique and awesome the Remington 51 is, I wouldn't stop. Suffice it to say, Browning wasn't speaking lightly when he called Pedersen "the greatest firearms designer alive, possibly of all time", and he was right.

Always forget to include this guy, my most-used rifle:

nTJn8so.jpg

It's a Savage 4C my grandpa bought in the '50s and my dad gave to me. This is the guy I always take on my hikes and camping trips. It's the only gun I have that's actually fed me. I really like it because it's one of the few .22s I've handled that feels comfortable for a grown man to fire and I've had no problem pegging rabbits and frogs at 100 feet with it.

Always forget to include this guy, my most-used rifle:

nTJn8so.jpg

It's a Savage 4C my grandpa bought in the '50s and my dad gave to me. This is the guy I always take on my hikes and camping trips. It's the only gun I have that's actually fed me. I really like it because it's one of the few .22s I've handled that feels comfortable for a grown man to fire and I've had no problem pegging rabbits and frogs at 100 feet with it.

I'll have to snap some pics of the Stevens 416T I have.  Very similar rifle, only intended as a military trainer. It has a very long, heavy barrel and a receiver peep in lieu of the barrel mounted notch.

As for .22s, I'm looking up at my Romanian "training" rifle which I always bring up to scare seals and seagulls off the net. For an old mil surp, it is damn accurate which is important when winging a round a few inches past a seal's muzzle from 200 yards out. It has flip up iron sights for 25, 50 and 100 meters.

As we've said before here and elsewhere, with the revolution of modern ammo and self defense rounds, it just doesn't make a difference in most semi auto rounds. I'm decidedly anti 40 SW and anti .357 Sig and I am happy 10mm is seeing a renewal of interest since it lost the "cool new caliber" war to .40 S&W in the 1990s.

But until you start getting into Magnum rounds, it is all personal preference. That and mo bullitz is better... Within reason.

.357 Master Race yo ;-)

As we've said before here and elsewhere, with the revolution of modern ammo and self defense rounds, it just doesn't make a difference in most semi auto rounds. I'm decidedly anti 40 SW and anti .357 Sig and I am happy 10mm is seeing a renewal of interest since it lost the "cool new caliber" war to .40 S&W in the 1990s.

But until you start getting into Magnum rounds, it is all personal preference. That and mo bullitz is better... Within reason.

.357 Master Race yo ;-)

There's one master race and it's name is 10mm Auto.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015/08/31/zenitco-ak-furniture-review-does-the-russian-hype-measure-up/

Comments are all sorts of dumb.  :mellow:

Best part is where commentators don't understand that one of main customers of Zenit are combat officers from MVD/FSB, who don't care about US market. 

Don't know where to post, but this system in future may become launchable from underbarrel GLs, like one Israely grenade with videocamera in it.

qwrb725.jpg

New Krechet-M sight for Ratnik.

pk120-150.jpg

It looks not as shity as previous models, but still it is a brick.

d480e09830dd859db8763f4396ed7891.png

We also have magnifier for it and laser. Maybe it would have easier to pay to Zenit to finish their laser module?

It is probably one rifle from same batch as rifle from that video of operation in Gyumri village that you posted in TFB, Sturgeon. Photo from my previous post shows rifle in hands of Russian SF unit, that is equipped about as well as those on the video, actually. It might have been even the same gun,  ;)