Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The Small Arms Thread, Part 8: 2018; ICSR to be replaced by US Army with interim 15mm Revolver Cannon.

Khand-e

Contrary to my usual MO of liking alot of hot loaded "combat" pistols (I hate the term alot, but it unfortunately works I guess), I actually do want to justify buying a SCHV pistol like the FiveSeven, only just something that's not actually a FiveSeven but a newer design that 1. is a newer design that's a good alternative and 2. doesn't suck, it would also help if they found a way to make such rounds not have the sound and flash report of your average tank cannon when fired from a pistol length barrel, maybe by somehow using elf magic or some shit.

TLDR: SCHV pistols, the future?

Also, on that note, Triple Base propellants for specialized small arms applications such as this or maybe for MGs (which should increase the barrel life using it for suppressive fire constantly in theory.), Thoughts on this being viable? I see no reason it wouldn't work and I'm kind of a proponent of more research being done on the applications of Triple base propellants in small arms as opposed to their usual use in things such as tanks, artillery, and naval guns.

I don't know man. I've got zero interest in those things. I mean, how much stopping powah does a little 5.7mm pistol have?

No. Seriously, I know there is a great deal of good stuff that can come from a SCHV pistol. But I know I'm the weird guy who gets excited at the thought of a new .32 caliber revolver.

The entire backstrap of the Remington 51 is a grip safety, like the Colt 1903 Pocket Hammerless. There is a small thumb safety, which was not intended to be used most of the time, but gave those who wanted it the option. Removing the magazine locks the trigger.

Many have claimed the 51 does not have a slide lock. While it's true the gun does not have a last round slide lock, if you retract the slide, which you must depress the grip safety to do, and then release the grip safety when the slide is at the rear, it locks the slide back for ease of loading. Then, to return the gun to battery, just grip it firmly, depressing the grip safety, and you're good to go.

Also the best tools you can get for an emergency high.

I guess if suffocation is a "high".  Mineral spirits is not at all like the more aeromatic solvents you're thinking of.  This is the stuff that is about as flammable as used crankcase oil, and pours like really cheap vodka.  That's why you have to let it soak.

Plus side, it's cheap. Downside? It's slow.  You want that thing cleaned yesterday, you need shit like 1,1,1 trichor or MEK. And a full face supplied air respirator, and really really good chem gloves.

OK, fellas, over in the comments section at TFB, the subject of 1911s was brought up. A lot of folks are butthurt about something something Colt's prices are too high. I don't really know why people feel Colt's prices are astronomical, but whatever. The point is, I mentioned that Colt's 1911s weren't made in Brazil, and they're still listed at pretty competitive prices, even from a retailer. I was referencing Springfeld Aromry, and some dude piped up that SAI's guns are no longer forged in Brazil (no mention of where they are forged, however). 

I have been able to turn up no evidence besides unsourced forum posts to confirm this. SAI appears to have, a couple of times, gotten Imbel to move their marks around so they're less obvious (wouldn't want the plebs to know where their guns come from, you see). This rumor appears to have been started by an SAI 1911 owner who noticed the "lack" of Imbel marks on his gun and then went onto a forum to proclaim that SAI 1911s are now MADE IN THE USA.

The only even remote shred of evidence I've seen to support this comes courtesy of Daniel, from Imbel's website:

A Fábrica de Itajubá - FI foi inaugurada em 1934, com a denominação de Fábrica de Canos e Sabres para Armamento Portátil. A FI dispõe de um centro de desenvolvimento de engenharia industrial totalmente informatizado, o que garante à UP excelentes condições de produção. Até recentemente, a FI foi parceira da Springfield Armory, IL EUA, empresa que supria o mercado norte americano de competição e a tradicional agência de segurança, o Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), com as consagradas pistolas 1911-A1 calibre .45. Dentre os produtos da UP de Itajubá destacam-se: os fuzis .308 AGLC (Sniper); a linha de fuzis e carabinas 5,56 IA2; pistolas .45, .40, 9mm; e .380; e as facas IA2 e Amazônica.

Machine translated it says this:

The Itajubá Factory - FI was inaugurated in 1934, with the Pipes Factory name and Sabres for Portable Arms. The FI has an industrial engineering development center fully computerized, which ensures the UP excellent production conditions. Until recently, the FI was a partner of the Springfield Armory, IL USA, company that supplied the North American market competition and the traditional security agency, the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), with consecrated in 1911-A1 pistols .45 caliber. Among the UP's product Itajubá are: the .308 rifles AGLC (Sniper); the line of rifles and carbines 5.56 IA2; pistols .45, .40, 9mm; and .380; and IA2 Amazon and knives.

Note that this is just the Itajubá Factory, not Imbel as a whole. Still, it does seem to indicate that SAI is no longer dealing with Imbel.

So, gun sleuths on my forum, can we figure out where SAI is getting their forgings from? 

Awww. I thought we were going to talk about why Colt sucks and the need for them to bring back their Snake revolvers, Colt Woodsman, Colt pocket pistols, a wide selection of cowboy guns.

And the Colt-Burgess lever action rifle.

As for 1911s? Who cares? The market is over-saturated.

Furthermore, 1911 fanbois have no idea what they realistically want in their favorite handgun. They've built the .45 Government semi-automatic into this Holy Grail where it was a rugged and reliable pistol that was available for a relatively affordable price. The reason this was so was because the military subsidized Colt with its contract plus the market was saturated by WW2 bring-backs and whatnot.

They got pissed when this stopped being the case after the M9 and Colt went away from their classic 1911 design to the piles of yuck they produced in the 1990s. At the same time guys like Kimber and whoever started producing "high-end" 1911s geared toward divorced middle-aged men with "small hands" and too much money.

In short? These guys want Colt to produce $1,500-$2,000 quality guns and sell them for $750.

Awww. I thought we were going to talk about why Colt sucks and the need for them to bring back their Snake revolvers, Colt Woodsman, Colt pocket pistols, a wide selection of cowboy guns.

And the Colt-Burgess lever action rifle.

As for 1911s? Who cares? The market is over-saturated.

Furthermore, 1911 fanbois have no idea what they realistically want in their favorite handgun. They've built the .45 Government semi-automatic into this Holy Grail where it was a rugged and reliable pistol that was available for a relatively affordable price. The reason this was so was because the military subsidized Colt with its contract plus the market was saturated by WW2 bring-backs and whatnot.

They got pissed when this stopped being the case after the M9 and Colt went away from their classic 1911 design to the piles of yuck they produced in the 1990s. At the same time guys like Kimber and whoever started producing "high-end" 1911s geared toward divorced middle-aged men with "small hands" and too much money.

In short? These guys want Colt to produce $1,500-$2,000 quality guns and sell them for $750.

Trust me, Colt was making piles of yuck as early as the mid 1960's...

The Washington Post has a story about nine handguns recovered in crimes committed in Washington DC. Hi-Point and Taurus were highly represented along with Ruger and Charter Arms.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/how-dc-police-seized-nine-illegal-guns-on-one-of-the-citys-most-violent-nights/2015/09/05/e9078ff0-5269-11e5-8c19-0b6825aa4a3a_story.html

While I have nothing against the concept behind the 6.5x25mm round, I do find that test in particular rather intellectually dishonest, I mean yes, I'd fully expect a Tungsten alloy APDS penetrator to outperform M80 and M855 ball rounds (which aren't even "full bore" AP or AP/Enhanced penetration rounds at all for that matter) vs armor steel plate and.... quite a lot of other things actually despite being fired from a smaller cartridge. That test doesn't really say anything.