Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The Small Arms Thread, Part 8: 2018; ICSR to be replaced by US Army with interim 15mm Revolver Cannon.

Khand-e

So Nathaniel has pissed off 52,000 Kel-Tec fanboys (which is apparently a thing):

f20xgk.jpg

Also, the most frustrating thing about youtube is that if I sit on camera and just talk about nonsense, it gets exponentially more views than a well done, labor intensive video like the FNC one. The "Guns We Don't Like" launched few days back and its views in realtime are still greater than the FNC video from yesterday. I have no idea why this is (and it isn't the presence of special guests, as it happens for every commentary video):

2i6f8g5.jpg

Speaking from personal experience, but if a video is about just seeing a gun fire, I'm just gonna watch a gun fire until I don't want to see it fire any more. I don't think I've watched a Hickock45 video where I didn't just skip to him shooting the thing, then closing it when he was done shooting the thing. In your sit and chat videos, I'm watching to hear you guys sit and chat. The whole "list" thing is also a draw-in because I can see the video is ten minutes long, and a "top 5" or something is going to mean around two minutes per gun and I won't see it fire. This means I have an idea of what I'm getting into and when I'm going to get out of it. That's at least how I see it, anyway.

Finally, Ian debunks some of the crap that people parrot about the Chauchat:

https://www.full30.com/video/5933a44c278a66269fcdf19cde11261c

Does he gaze in the camera with his glasses off at any point and feast on fragments of your soul at any point in the video?

....I'm just curious.

IWp8LH4.jpg

lets do it

post em

Why does he store his shotguns in used elephant condoms?

Also, since I have to be the naysayer here, is there a comparable light machinegun that the Chauchat is demonstrably better than? Say, the Hotchkiss M1909 (Hotchkiss Portative LMG, etc)? If yes, then the Chauchat isn't the worst by definition.

Was a "better" design available at the time? Or is the argument, "Hey, it's one of the first of its kind and better than nothing."

Also, since I have to be the naysayer here, is there a comparable light machinegun that the Chauchat is demonstrably better than? Say, the Hotchkiss M1909 (Hotchkiss Portative LMG, etc)? If yes, then the Chauchat isn't the worst by definition.

Was a "better" design available at the time? Or is the argument, "Hey, it's one of the first of its kind and better than nothing."

I would argue that the Breda 30 is worse based on what I have seen and read.

I have seen one in action, and it was comical. It was as if the gun was designed to piss off the operator in every possible way. While I didn't fire it, even the owner was laughing about how terrible it is.

When it fired it sprayed the owner with oil too, and his shooting glasses made it look like he took a damn paintball to the face.

But also I do in fact give the Chauchat some points for simply being there early, and in massive quantities. Although it is strange that the French would not have looked at guns like the Madsen and thought "hey, that might be the way to go".

Finally, Ian debunks some of the crap that people parrot about the Chauchat:

https://www.full30.com/video/5933a44c278a66269fcdf19cde11261c

We'll see how well it takes.

Considering that there are people who still think the AK never needs maintenance,  that the M-14 could chamber and fire 7,62X54, or that the standard U.S. service cartridge in WW2 was the .30-30, I'm not going to hold my breath.

"Honour Bound" is the book to get on the CSRG.

Why does he store his shotguns in used elephant condoms?

Did the quality of infantry weapons even matter much in WWI?  Heavy machine guns and artillery did most of the killing.  Just give the poor infantrymen a rifle of some sort and order them toward the trenches to get slaughtered.   Good lord, perhaps I have gone cynical since recently watching Kubrick's Paths of Glory. 

Did the quality of infantry weapons even matter much in WWI?  Heavy machine guns and artillery did most of the killing.  Just give the poor infantrymen a rifle of some sort and order them toward the trenches to get slaughtered.   Good lord, perhaps I have gone cynical since recently watching Kubrick's Paths of Glory. 

Well you see, it is important because... Now when you're discussing quality of small arms in a conflict like World War 1... Ummm... It matters a lot because you see the qualitative difference between... umm...

God damnit, Walter, it just MATTERS, OK?

I hear <allied country> feared <comparable weapon with cooler appearance> so much that they <unbelievable story, seriously it was war, they just shot at each other>

Particularly long nicknames have also been kind of suspicious to me. to me. Just imagine soldiers going:

"There's a Hitler's Buzzsaw set up across that field!"

"There was a Grave for Seven Brothers that provided support. Unfortunately the Grave For Seven Brothers hit a land mine and..."

And so forth. Maybe some of these were joke names they'd come up with and use offhand, but I usually smell bullshit when an author implies that it was some kind of common, widespread usage. Given militaries' propensities for shortening language for easier identification and sake of brevity, I don't think soldiers "commonly referred to these weapons as..." whatever.

The joke is that the first and second world wars are almost guaranteed to have million-to-one events happen, for the simple reason that millions of people participated.

There was a verified case of a US pilot downing a Japanese plane with a pistol, for crying out loud. So of course you can find anecdotes where an otherwise-mediocre piece of equipment performed spectacularly (see also: Britain in WWII)

Man, all dem boys wit dem Garand clips would always have an empty clip on them to trick all the Nazis/Tojos.

-Every youtube comment if I mention the M1 Garand

We've had that fight more than once on another board, and it's one of my favorite myths (and one of the most common ones when I give museum tours). It's just such an impressive gap in deduction on the part of the believer:

"Clip goes ping. Ping means reload. Reload means open to attack. Can use ping to trick."

It assumes so much on the part of the opposing soldier's lack of intelligence, or assumes that so many engagements were one-on-one close-range battles enough for these people to believe that it was a commonplace sight. I guess I should be thankful that some of these people break the mold of the "Aryan Superman Soldier" that they believe a German would genuinely be that dumb.