Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The Small Arms Thread, Part 8: 2018; ICSR to be replaced by US Army with interim 15mm Revolver Cannon.

Khand-e

I've only ever examined the constituent part of a PM-63, but not fired one.  It's a little quirky.

It's got an external, reciprocating slide like a big pistol, instead of having all the moving stuff inside a receiver like most SMGs.  It makes it a little harder to get a good sight picture, since you can clonk yourself in the face with the slide.  

A rare MKB-42(H) and... did they just take the pistol grips off of those VZ-58s to make them into parade rifles?

Ya its a good thing the fold-out stock is alittle short, becuase if i was eyeballing this things rear end while aiming i woud probably lose an eye 

Its a PM-63

nifty little Polish machine pistol, still used today, very reliable  and a blast to shoot 

Agreed, once you get past the slide running back and forth at you like a rabid fieldmouse, it's a really trick little piece.

The ROF was very manageable too, not like a Mini or Micro Uzi.

I still thought the Stechkin was higher up on the "neat" scale, but the '63 is not far below it.

PKP vs Laminated vehicle glass, bullet resistant vest /w hardened plates (unknown protection level, translation please) and unarmored sides and then ordinary building door chained to roof of car with ap/  ap-tracer rounds, you can probably guess how the last turns out.

From EE's blog today:

Interrogations of prisoners and captured documents demonstrate that the enemy forces opposing the Front have new types of armament. For example:

1. Many soldiers state that the MG-42 is impractical as it needs too much ammunition and jams often. Soldiers prefer the MG-34.

I thought it worth pointing out.  

MG-42 on a tripod is plenty accurate for anything you can see through a 4x magnifier.

Sure, an individual bullet might not hit the target, but there are plenty more where the first came from.

I wonder why the Jerries would like the MG-34 better.  From everything I can tell, it's not particularly more reliable than the -42.

Like i said, better for a HMG role past 400 or so meters for shooting at smaller groups 

that and not having to change the barrel's every 5 fucking seconds once shit gets real, and not running completely out of ammunition is always a plus 

MG-42 on a tripod is plenty accurate for anything you can see through a 4x magnifier.

Sure, an individual bullet might not hit the target, but there are plenty more where the first came from.

I wonder why the Jerries would like the MG-34 better.  From everything I can tell, it's not particularly more reliable than the -42.

The '34 was a more practical MG, and you then have the reluctance to change to the "newer, cheaper feeling" bit of kit.

They never stopped making the '34 contrary to what some may claim, as there was still a need for coax/ball mount MG's and the '42 was not practical in this application.

I can't be the only one who hates the way you swap a barrel on a 34.

Compared to a BREN or the '42, it's a bit clunky, but for it's day it was pretty damned good.

It just dosent feel natural 

You can quickly get used to it, and from a mount it's very quick and easy.

I wonder why the Jerries would like the MG-34 better. From everything I can tell, it's not particularly more reliable than the -42.

The 34 seems so much more practical as an lmg in almost every way besides barrel changes.