Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The Small Arms Thread, Part 8: 2018; ICSR to be replaced by US Army with interim 15mm Revolver Cannon.

Khand-e

One of the things Ian mentions is that the guns were well-regarded by the US troops that faced them... I mean, yeah, they shoot bullets, so I'd hope so. I guess given this forum's history of staring down Panther-worshipping Wehraboos, that statement just kinda rubbed me the wrong way.

Now, I'm being unreasonably hard on Ian here. I think he's right when he talks about how the 96 and 99 are quite good LMGs, and they've got some interesting features that I like. Are they "the best"? Well, they're not the worst, and they're a heckuva lot better than the BAR.

Where I strongly disagree with Ian is when he says that the Japanese actually had one of the best suites of small arms in WWII. This is more true than many people believe, but it's not all that true. The Arisaka is a decent bolt gun, but it's not the best (though it may be the strongest). Many of their MGs are just weird, and the Japanese placed emphasis on the sword of all things as a legitimate small arm. So, nah, I think overall the Americans had the best small arms suite, especially late-war. The BAR sucked (but not that bad), basically everything else they had was great.

In the BARs defense, you didn't have to deploy it to fire accurately. So if your had to lay down fire quickly you had a very heavy Garand, which is better than nothing in a hurry

The type 96/99 are fine guns by they ain't perfect.

They cant be fired as easily as the Bren when undeployed and they have shitty perphiral vision. Not really the fualt of the gun being bad but its a sacrifice you have to take into account

yg4Shte.png

Great.. That idiotic piece also described the terminal ballistics of the .303" MkVII ball. Better let the author know that the British Army is in violation, and that the volume of hot air between his ears is dangerously high.