Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

IRM Zhuk/"Beetle"

YIrHn.jpg

The ИРМ Жук (Transliteration: IRM Zhuk) is an all-terrain Engineer Reconnaissance Vehicle (ERV) for combat engineers. It is used for land and engineer reconnaissance vehicle, developed in the 1970s. ИРМ stands for Инженерная Разведывательная Машина (Transliteration: Inzhenernaya Razvedyvatel'naya Mashina), which means engineering reconnaissance vehicle.

Production started in 1980 with the use of components from both the BMP-1 and BMP-2. However, the suspension had a new hull, one extra road wheel and one additional hydraulic shock-absorber. It has four pressurized compartments, with the engine located at the rear. There are three hatches on the top of the hull and one emergency hatch in the bottom. 

The IRM is equipped with two retractable propellers in ring covers for swimming and steering and two cases with 16 9M39 solid engines (each has a thrust of 312 kg and weights 6.3 kg), for getting out of mud. Special reconnaissance equipment consists of two R-147 radios; one PIR-451 periscope; TNPO-160, TNP-370 and TNV-25M periscopic observation devices; an AGI-1s horizon indicator; a DSP-30 portable periscopic rangefinder, a PAB-2M portable aiming circle, one TNA-3 gyroscopic navigational device, an EIR echo depth finder with automatic recorder and three sonar transducers, a RShM-2 river-type wide-span mine detector, RVM-2M and IMP-2 portable mine detectors, a PR-1 portable penetrometer used to analyze soil for crossability and an ice drill with ice stake. 

The vehicle has two arms for detecting metallic mines which are mounted on the front of the hull. They can be retracted when not in use. The mine detector arms can be hydraulically articulated to their operating position in under three minutes. The mine detector brings the vehicle to a full stop upon encountering an obstacle or detecting a metallic object. The PIR-451 periscope is mounted on the right hand side of the front of the vehicle, at the commander's station. It can be extended to 1.5 m and can move vertically up to 750 mm. It also has an air revitalization system, automatic fire extinguishers, a water pump with a capacity of 1,000 l/min, an automatic NBC protection system and an engine thermal smoke generator.

The vehicle weighs 17.2 tonnes and has a crew of 6. It is 8.22 m long, 3.15 m wide and 2.40 m high. Ground clearance is 420 mm. It has a maximum road speed of 52 km/h and it can swim at up to 12 km/h. It is armed with a PKT machine gun fitted in a small turret for which it carries 1,000 rounds.

T-72B3.

iHDSQm3X31Y.jpg

I am working on a guide how to ID T-64/72/80/90. Will need small help from Mike E and others, as a "outside" member that can point at some mistakes/unclear parts of guide. 

- I will cover only major models of Soviet/Russian MBTs like "A", "B", "BV" etc.

- Guide will help to ID T-64/72/80/90 from each other by pointing at obvious and easy-to-see details, from the side, rear and front.

- It will be picture heavy. I have around 120 pics to work with, but will also provide description. 

- Engine sounds as was pointed in T-80 thread will be also included here for easier identification of tanks.

- There will be 3 posts - 1st covering T-64 from A until BV (do we need Ukrainian modifications?), 2nd - T-72 (from Ural to B3) and T-90 (Do we need M/MS/SM/AM versions?), 3rd - GLORIOUS T-80 SUPERIOR LENINGRAD MBT.  

"Prototypes" of pics:

MHsJtf1.jpg

m9o1Xck.jpg

ndwY8Ow.jpg

2eaTNiW.jpg

I dunno, at least all the major identifying parts are there, the only complaint I have is the early style driver's hatch with late style periscopes and late style hull MG mantlet, as well as additional armour (or early A-34 two-piece turret side) on the turret. Although technically you could put all those parts on one tank if you really wanted.