Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

True, it's a good guide to telling T-64, T-72 and T-80 apart, which is something the internet badly needs, but I was thinking of a guide that would tell the differences between different versions of those tanks, and also T-54/55 and T-62.  And how in the fuck you tell late model T-72s from early T-90s.  Maybe even throw in weird foreign variants like PT-91, post-Soviet Ukrainian designs and those weird Hungarian stretched T-55 thingies.

So far as I can tell, nobody has done this on the English-speaking internet.

I'm not like, committed to the idea or anything.  I don't think I could do it myself; the T-72 variants trip me up.

By failing to deliver tanks in appreciable quantities, nobody will ever be able to prove that the T-90 is better than the Oplot BM!  Kharkov tank design superiority is undisputable!

Seriously though, is there any sector of the Ukrainian defense industry that wasn't completely obliterated by looting in the 1990s?  They can't make tanks in meaningful numbers, Antonov doesn't seem to be making aircraft anymore, and hell, I've even heard that a lot of the Fort products shown at trade shows are just marked "Made in Ukraine" when they were actually made elsewhere.  They may not even be able to make large volumes of small arms!

V-46-6 specifically, and 'service life' as the time between services. Don't rush, it's not 'that' important :P

Completely forgot about this one - from numbers i can find engine was constantly improved, starting from 350 hours of Guarantee period (as i understand between services) to 500+ hours.

By failing to deliver tanks in appreciable quantities, nobody will ever be able to prove that the T-90 is better than the Oplot BM!  Kharkov tank design superiority is undisputable!

Seriously though, is there any sector of the Ukrainian defense industry that wasn't completely obliterated by looting in the 1990s?  They can't make tanks in meaningful numbers, Antonov doesn't seem to be making aircraft anymore, and hell, I've even heard that a lot of the Fort products shown at trade shows are just marked "Made in Ukraine" when they were actually made elsewhere.  They may not even be able to make large volumes of small arms!

Ah, but they sure can port 1920s fire support solutions to T-64 hulls! 

As part of my recent sperging over the Russian assault guns, I present these numbers:

Tiger I production by the end of 1943: 727

SU-152 production by the end of 1943: 704

Tiger I production during WWII: 1,347

SU-152/ISU-152 production during WWII: 2,589

So the Tiger I is roughly half as significant as the Soviet assault gun series, numbers-wise. And, keep in mind that while the Tiger I was a totally unique tank with a totally unique supply chain, the SU-152 and ISU-152 used existing heavy tank components, meaning I'd be willing to bed good money that the Soviet assault guns had a much higher readiness rate.

Not that anyone on this board needs telling, but the Tigers really were just an insignificant drop in the bucket.

How many tigger 2s did the krauts manage to bang out? I think if you compare the production rates, the claim that the b was better suited to mass production, despite needing more steel may be true. Still poor, but a better design.

I actually like the B quite a bit. The French did, too. With some refinement and a better general-purpose gun, it could have been a real siegebreaker. Of course, in just a year or two it would be technically obsolesced by far more efficient Soviet designs, but it wasn't a bad effort at all in 1943-44.

Just extremely wasteful given the circumstances the Germans were in at the time, and not at all well-suited to the kind of warfare they were conducting at the time.

1. Shturm-S ATGM vehicle on MT-LB chassis.

E09Svkb.jpg

2. 2S23 Nona-SVK, a SPG on BTR-80 chassis, armed with 120 mm 2A60 mortar/cannon/howitzer

4oqadzC.jpg

3. 2S9 Nona-S air-droppable SPG, armed with 2A51 mortar/cannon.

wYXm0Jk.jpg

4. 152 mm 2S3 Akatsiya Self-propelled howitzer/SPH

2CyIOW8.jpg

5. 2S19 Msta-S 152 mm SPH

0owhLPQ.jpg

6. 2S5 Giatsint-S 152 mm SPG and 2S4 Tulpan self-propelled high-caliber mortar

o0gEoiQ.jpg

7. 2S4 Tulpan closer view

qNNg49j.jpg

I actually like the B quite a bit. The French did, too. With some refinement and a better general-purpose gun, it could have been a real siegebreaker. Of course, in just a year or two it would be technically obsolesced by far more efficient Soviet designs, but it wasn't a bad effort at all in 1943-44.

Just extremely wasteful given the circumstances the Germans were in at the time, and not at all well-suited to the kind of warfare they were conducting at the time.

You'd think that at 70 tons the Germans would start looking into creative ways to save weight like the Soviets did instead of just slamming armour on it all willy nilly.

You'd think that at 70 tons the Germans would start looking into creative ways to save weight like the Soviets did instead of just slamming armour on it all willy nilly.

Typical jews looking for a deal over power to weight nice enough to rub hands for