Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Aerospace Pictures and Art Thread

LostCosmonaut

Some stuff I took pictures of in the German Museum in Munich; more to do with technology than anything explicitly German. Could not recommend against going if you want to see some neat stuff. I don't know if my cheap tablet can compete with the professional photography exhibited here, but this stuff was pretty neat all the same. It's so long ago I don't know if I can correctly accurately identify any of these pictures accurately to what they actually are.

fQv31B4.jpg

Cutaway of a 24 cylinder airplane engine, but I don't remember exactly what it was from. Vaguely recall it having military application.

Fcc4kDy.jpg

ME-262 engine; it had a little knob (visible on the right hand side of the engine) that you could use to turn the turbine blades. German museums are more interactive than American counterparts; I think in America you wouldn't be allowed to touch it at all.

9fXEJHQ.jpg

I remembered this being of a German experimental VTOL craft, or at least a German designed craft, but cursory google search tells me it's an F-104. Memory is probably in the wrong here.

MhKUBOJ.jpg

COSMONAUTS

vzCKNNE.jpg

Sikorsky S-58 (unless I'm mistaken), back from when turbines were less viable than radial engines for helicopter applications. I know as a pilot I wouldn't want a whirling pole of death sitting directly beside me.

1DlKaCD.jpg

This is an agricultural helicopter from some aircraft-focused museum from a municipality in the vicinity of Munich. The funnel at the bottom was used to distribute insecticides/herbicides etc.

I had many more pictures, but my tablet had an unfortunate and fatal fall from the upper bunk of a hostel bed in Cologne. I have now only the pictures that I had already uploaded.