Sturgeon's House
LostCosmonaut

I Learned Something Today

5 hours ago, Meplat said:

(I can still lift absurd amounts, even with half a bicep on my left arm,and outwork the swarm of 19 year olds here.  Growing up heating with wood, I choose you!).

I really feel like I'm gonna be the last man in America who grew up chopping wood for the stove.

I mean, I know I'm not, but I feel like that. 

On 8/23/2017 at 11:23 PM, Sturgeon said:

I really feel like I'm gonna be the last man in America who grew up chopping wood for the stove.

I mean, I know I'm not, but I feel like that. 

I still have hatchets and axes I can shave with. And chainsaws? Most of mine, or the ones I work on are at most, two pulls.

I used to have a huge old Tecumseh (? ben a while) powered felling saw, that had a cast aluminum megaphone exhaust.  Had a bar almost four feet long.  It NEVER failed to start,and you could horse it as hard as you wanted into the Maple where I grew up, and it just got louder. 

One guy I knew tried to "bind it up" felling, and it had so much torque it dragged him hard into the trunk,and began eating clearance, as the whole three and some foot diameter maple tried to stall it. 

I was laughing as he then just fed it more throttle, and it was shitting blue flame from the stack as it macerated it'sway through the trunk.

Now I have a Stilh and Husquvarna, which are good, but I miss having a really obnoxious chainsaw. 

I get to scrounge old dock wood and use it to heat our cabin up in Alaska during fishing. There is a certain amount of satisfaction heating coffee and cooking breakfast from a fire that you built yourself out of wood you chopped.

26 minutes ago, Donward said:

I get to scrounge old dock wood and use it to heat our cabin up in Alaska during fishing. There is a certain amount of satisfaction heating coffee and cooking breakfast from a fire that you built yourself out of wood you chopped.

Having lived in Arizona for so long (~30 years), I am discovering Hickory.

Hickory smoke in a warm house in midwinter is about as welcoming a smell as one could want. Other than some not mentionable in a polite forum...

24 minutes ago, Meplat said:

Having lived in Arizona for so long (~30 years), I am discovering Hickory.

Hickory smoke in a warm house in midwinter is about as welcoming a smell as one could want. Other than some not mentionable in a polite forum...

Out here we basically have softwoods (fir, pine, alder) so being able to use hardwood as a fuel is pretty handy in many ways I'd imagine.