Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Competition: A modern medium AFV

Toxn

So, I found out that you can do collision detection upon movement in assemblies. Decided to test the gun depression;

Kw6pfks.png

Lookin' good, might even be able to shrink the roof a bit. It can also elevate to about 40 degrees.

(there's an 800mm long rod+plate attached to the back of the mantlet to simulate the maximum recoil length)

What's with all the really deep hulls? You and Bronez both. Bronez said he's going for a an autoloading mortar in the hull, what about yours?

The test suspension now has 6 roadwheels like it should:

AVmd5gT.png

I'm hoping to modify this suspension element with mounting points for my roadhweel models, so I can achieve the more detailed look with tracks, too. I also moved the suspension forward (it was too far to the rear), and that means I'll need to modify the front swing arms. Not a big deal, the Abrams has front swing arms that are at a different angle than the rest, too. Although note that the holes for the torsion bars in this model are 220mm to the rear of where they need to be.

Base tower added:

QBEA2RK.png

The turret was changed around to a unmanned cleft turret. Instead of a 30mm autocannon, a 40mm autocannon was added.

For simplicity I named the gun AK-40 L82

General gun info:

Caliber: 40mm L82

Breech design: Rotating breech

RPM: 330

Gun depression/elevation: -10/+90

Ammuniton:

Cartridge: 40x356mm

Design: Caseless, telescopic

Types: APFSDS-T (DU) and GPR.

How about NBC protection? 

I am skeptical about the supposed impossibility of NBC protection in oscillating turrets.

You often see AMX-13s with a rubber/plastic fob around the turret joint:

AMX-13_(SM-1).jpg

And there's no reason this seal couldn't be inside the turret to protect it against damage from arty fragments and small arms fire.

Besides, you don't need to perfectly seal all the holes in an AFV for NBC protection; that's what overpressure systems are for.  If the oscillating turret leaks more air it's not a show-stopper.  You just get bigger fan motors on your overpressure system.

I strongly suspect that most oscillating turret designs lack NBC protection simply because NATO tanks didn't have NBC protection during the time that oscillating turrets were popular.  By the mid to late 1950s the oscillating turret fad was over, and that's about when NATO vehicles start sporting NBC protection.

What's more, plenty of notional NATO tanks were designed in the 1960s and after with cleft turrets including the STRV-2000 and some early Chieftain concepts.  Cleft turrets have a huge hole in the turret where the gun sits.  Were they just planning on having no NBC protection on these vehicles or what?

I guess here's the start of a newer thing of mine.  This one isn't going to be the most serious if that's OK, but I'll still try to keep it in the theme of the thread.  I'm basically making something that I like how it looks, then refining it from there.  The T-34-85 I posted earlier today was actually something I already had on hand.

I don't even know what gun it has other than "big autocannon".  Didn't have a coaxial MG at first, but I think I may keep it.  Probably would be able to upgrade to a 105mm or a low pressure 120mm if you really wanted.  Hull floor is sloped up near the edges to help with things going boom under it, with the front hull relying a lot on slopes.  Probably going to change the flat bit near the turret.

Crew is near the rear, with the turret either being unmanned or low profile.  Things that make the tank go will be more towards the front.  Dunno if the spot on the other side of the driver will be for more of that stuff or ammo or communications stuff or what.

Depression and elevation is -12.5°/+30°.  Depression I know works since that's what the bump on the roof is for, but the elevation I'm less sure of.

LB8WJW5.png

FhyKA4B.png

And yes, the cameras/optics are actually a smiley face in disguise. 

How small is that hatch? Or rather, how huge is that turret?

The turret is pretty much Abrams-sized (a little shorter front to back, and a little shallower, but otherwise the same). The hatches are the same (guesstimated) size as an Abrams', and dimensioned so that I could fit in them comfortably.

The hatches look small because A.) perspective isn't on, and B.) the hatches are way further apart than the Abrams's hatches, because there's a fucking 75mm autocannon between the commander and gunner.

The turret is pretty much Abrams-sized (a little shorter front to back, and a little shallower, but otherwise the same). The hatches are the same (guesstimated) size as an Abrams', and dimensioned so that I could fit in them comfortably.

The hatches look small because A.) perspective isn't on, and B.) the hatches are way further apart than the Abrams's hatches, because there's a fucking 75mm autocannon between the commander and gunner.

How does the feeding mechanism work on the autocannon?

Actually, I had in mind something like the IS-7's feed mechanism on cocaine, but you could probably do it like a CV90, too.

There is no loader in the Baberams, so everything's gotta be automated with the gun.

I should note that I haven't worked out the gun's exact mechanism, and don't plan to. That would be a lot of effort.

Actually, I had in mind something like the IS-7's feed mechanism on cocaine, but you could probably do it like a CV90, too.

There is no loader in the Baberams, so everything's gotta be automated with the gun.

I should note that I haven't worked out the gun's exact mechanism, and don't plan to. That would be a lot of effort.

You may just work on general layout. Turret basket autoloader like in Leclerc, or T-72-like autoloader under the turret (on hull floor), or T-64/80 type of loading mechanism (attached to turret, under it), may be something more unusual.