Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

StuG III Thread (and also other German vehicles I guess)

EnsignExpendable

ECgedo8.gif

Russ Heath art is pretty great.  When I was a kid, one of my favorite Sgt. Rock stories was illustrated by Russ Heath.  The story itself was quite ridiculous, but it had some really nice artwork of tiger tanks.  He had a much more realistic style than the more well known Sgt Rock artist Joe Kubert.

HeathSgtRockOurArmyatWar246EasysFirstTig

There's an old Russian saying: "War is war, but dinner is still on schedule"

Tied: was out getting burgers

Tied: and holy shit

Tied: talk about a elemntary understanding of friearms

KhandE: let me guess

KhandE: jack in the box

Tied: "its not 7.62 it must be a GPC"

Tied: nope, local place

KhandE: COMRADE ENSIGNS JEW KOSHER BURGERS AND EMPORIUM

Tied: you bet

KhandE: I'd eat there

KhandE: to be fair

There's an old Russian saying: "War is war, but dinner is still on schedule"

you can fry it on the buttstock and eat it with strapped on spoon, then return strap to keep charred wood in place to fill wood quota

true innovation 

Tied: was out getting burgers

Tied: and holy shit

Tied: talk about a elemntary understanding of friearms

KhandE: let me guess

KhandE: jack in the box

Tied: "its not 7.62 it must be a GPC"

Tied: nope, local place

KhandE: COMRADE ENSIGNS JEW KOSHER BURGERS AND EMPORIUM

Tied: you bet

KhandE: I'd eat there

KhandE: to be fair

I discussed a business idea with a friend a few months ago, a deli called Crazy Uncle Ivan's Cold War Cold Cuts with an American and a Soviet themed menu, with the most expensive comedy gimmick item called "Mutually Assured Destruction".

This is getting silly. More Kraut tanks plz.

How about... silly Kraut tanks?

0BLpzJ2l.jpg

Yes, let's triple the weight of a PzI tank, this is A Good Idea.

I discussed a business idea with a friend a few months ago, a deli called Crazy Uncle Ivan's Cold War Cold Cuts with an American and a Soviet themed menu, with the most expensive comedy gimmick item called "Mutually Assured Destruction".

Would it come in the shape of an overloaded Ferdinand engine about to explode?

It was a pretty mundane conversation, I just found it amusing because that convo was only like a few hours before that convo and he went afk right in the middle of it to go get burgers without saying.

DINNER IS STILL ON SCHEDULE

It was a pretty mundane conversation, I just found it amusing because that convo was only like a few hours before that convo and he went afk right in the middle of it to go get burgers without saying.

DINNER IS STILL ON SCHEDULE

I was posting on the forums on my phone, so didnt have access to steam

but ya, basically people assuming that because 5.8 replaces 7.62 arms, that 5.8 is some new revolutionary GPC

Funnily enough, even though Tony Williams fanclub was the first (that I'm aware of at least) to start the myth that the 5.8x42mm is a "wannabe gerpersherr", doesn't Tony Williams himself start the gerpersherr cutoff at like 6.25mm or 6.3mm as of his "updated" ideals for some fucking reason he's never explained?

That one guy in the weapons development office with the fetish for interleved roadwheels was really on a roll.

Does the leo 1 or leo 2 have any provisions for starting the engine in the cold?

Good question.  I would think these engines have passed the NATO test which requires that they be able to run in very low temp environments.  I have a brochure for the MT883 (newer engine than what is in the Leo 1 and Leo 2) which states:

"Engines can be operated under ambient temperature conditions of -46 C to +52 C in accordance with NATO standards.  At temperatures below -20 C, oil has to be preheated."

Just for fun, here are the excerpts from "Inside the Third Reich" by Albert Speer regarding tanks.

Very often, directly after one of these conferences Hitler would lecture his military advisers on the technical knowledge he had just acquired. He loved to present such pieces of information with a casual air, as if the Knowledge were his own.

When the Russian T -34 appeared, Hitler was triumphant, for he could then point out that he had earlier demanded the kind of longbarreled gun it had. Even before my appointment as Minister of Armaments, I heard Hitler in the Chancellery garden, after a demonstration of the Panzer IV, inveighing against the obstinacy of the Army Ordnance OfBce which had turned down his idea for increasing the velocity of the missile by lengthening the barrel. The Ordnance OfBce had at the time presented counterarguments: The long barrel would overload the tank in front, since it was not built with such a gun in view. If so major a change were introduced, the whole design would be thrown out of balance.

Hitler would always bring up this incident whenever his ideas encountered opposition. '1 was right at the time, and no one wanted to believe me. Now I am right againl" When the army felt the need for a tank which could outmaneuver the comparatively fast T -34 by greater speed, Hitler insisted that more would be gained by increasing the range of the guns and the weight of the armor. In this field, too, he had mastered the necessary figures and could recite penetration results and missile velocities by heart. He usually defended his theory by the example of warships:

"In a naval battle the side having the greater range can open fire at the greater distance. Even if it is only half a mile. H along with this he bas stronger armor ... he must necessarily be superior. What are you after? The faster ship has only one advantage: to utilize its greater speed for retreating. Do you mean to say a ship can possibly overcome heavier armor and superior artillery by greater speed? It's exactly the same for tanks. Your faster tank has to avoid meeting the heavier tank."

My experts from industry were not direct participants in these discussions. Our business was to build the tanks according to the requirements set by the army, whether these were decided by Hitler, by the General Staff, or by the Army Ordnance OfBce. Questions of battle tactics were not our concern; such discussions were usually conducted by the army officers. In 1942, Hitler still encouraged such discussions. He was still listening quietly to objections and offering his arguments just as quietly. Nevertheless, his arguments carried special weight. 

Since the Tiger had originally been designed to weigh fifty tons but as a result of Hitler's demands had gone up to seventy-five tons, we decided to develop a new thirty-ton tank whose very name, Panther, was to signify greater agility. Though light in weight, its motor was to be the same as the Tiger's, which meant it could develop superior speed. But in the course of a year Hitler once again insisted on clapping so much armor on it, as well as larger guns, that it ultimately reached fortyeight tons, the original weight of the Tiger.

In order to compensate for this strange transformation of a swift Panther into a slow Tiger, we made still another effort to produce a series of small, light, quick-moving tanks. By way of pleasing and reassuring Hitler, Porsche also undertook to design a superheavy tank which weighed over a hundred tons and hence could be built only in small numbers, one by one. For security purposes this new monster was assigned the code name Mouse. In any case Porsche had personally taken over Hitler's bias for superheaviness and would occasionally bring the Fuehrer reports about parallel developments on the part of the enemy. Once, Hitler sent for General Buhle and demanded: "I have just heard that an enemy tank is coming along with armor far beyond anything we have. Have you any documentation of that? If it is true a new antitank gun must be developed instantly. The force of penetration must . . . the gun must be enlarged, or lengthened-to be brief, we must begin reacting immediately. Instantly.

Thus, Hitler's decisions led to a multiplicity of parallel projects. They also led to more and more complicated problems of supply. One of his worst failings was that he simply did not understand the necessity for supplying the armies with sufficient spare parts.· General Guderian, the Inspector General of Tank Ordnance, frequently pointed out to me that if we could repair our tanks quickly, thanks to sufficient spare parts, we could have more available for battle, at a fraction of the cost, than by producing new ones. But Hitler insisted on the priority of new production, which would have had to be reduced by 20 percent if we made provision for such repairs.

( This disastrous tendency was evident as early as 1942: "Presented the Fuehrer with the monthly list of tank replacement parts and reported that despite the increase in production the demand is so high that to raise the production"of spare parts we must decrease the production of new tanks." (FiJhrerprotokoU, May 6-7, 1942, Point a8.)

--------------------------------

Hitler practiced a policy of patchwork of the pettiest sort. Moreover, he labored under the handicap that the nature of any given terrain cannot really be gathered adequately from maps. In the early summer of 1942 he personally ordered the first six of our Tiger tanks to be thrown into battle. As always, when a new weapon was ready, he expected it to turn the tide of battle. He regaled us with vivid descriptions of how the Soviet 7.7 centimeter antitank guns, which penetrated our Panzer IV front armor even at sizable distances, would fire shot after shot in vain, and how finally the Tiger would roll over the antitank gun nests. His staff remonstrated that the terrain he had chosen made tactical deployment of the tanks impossible because of the marshy subsurface on both sides of the road. Hitler dismissed these objections, not sharply, but with a superior air. And so the first Tiger assault started. Everybody was tensely awaiting the results, and I was rather anxious, wondering whether all would go well technically. There was no opportunity for a technical dress rehearsal. The Russians calmly let the tanks roll past an antitank gun position, then fired direct hits at the first and last Tiger. The remaining four thereupon could move neither forward nor backward, nor could they take evasive action to the side because of the swamps, and soon they were also finished off. Hitler silently passed over the debacle; he never referred to it again.