Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

StuG III Thread (and also other German vehicles I guess)

EnsignExpendable

Just like a universal carrier, only without any armour, less load capacity, has a useless front wheel (it's totally pointless - the handlebars connect to the tracks transmission with linkages for turns) and has 30 parts per track link.

It also makes the "coolness" of smoking vanish because it looks so goofy. 

It's professional if - at times - optimistic stuff. The Tellermines seemed to be a favorite of the Krauts at the early stages of the Eastern Front.

I find it interesting that they advocate using captured enemy automatic weapons which seems a rather blatant admission of the inadequate nature of German weaponry, particularly small arms.

"incendiary bottles and Tellermines, TNT, automatic weapons (our own or captured), submachine guns, Very pistols, hand grenades, smoke bottles, and camouflage material, as well as hatchets, crowbars, etc."

The bit with "Very pistols" which I'm guessing to be flare guns is also innovative.

Also they are advocating using and redistributing any large number of captured Soviet Molotov cocktails with the self-igniting fuse which seem superior to the German variants.

Which, if the plan is "Alright lads, make sure you capture enough enemy kit because it is better than ours", I'm not sure how enthusiastic that would make me feel as a grunt shivering in the mud and snow in some miserable huddle of huts in a town I can't pronounce.

Don't know if anyone here reads German/is interested, but as far as I can tell this is the original manual for the Leichttraktor: http://tanks.mod16.org/pdf/leichttraktor.pdf

Found in the national archives by accident while poking around a few of gigantic boxes of photonegatives on glass plates from the 20's and 30's. I think it's Heigl's (of Taschenbuch der Tanks fame) photo collection, at least most of the boxes are marked with his name. Don't know what to do with it, there's thousands of photos of interwar tanks, mostly from Britain and France, and I have no idea if they're rare or not.

Don't know if anyone here reads German/is interested, but as far as I can tell this is the original manual for the Leichttraktor: http://tanks.mod16.org/pdf/leichttraktor.pdf

Found in the national archives by accident while poking around a few of gigantic boxes of photonegatives on glass plates from the 20's and 30's. I think it's Heigl's (of Taschenbuch der Tanks fame) photo collection, at least most of the boxes are marked with his name. Don't know what to do with it, there's thousands of photos of interwar tanks, mostly from Britain and France, and I have no idea if they're rare or not.

That's really interesting stuff.  Renhanxue, are you the owner of the Swedish Tank Archives blog?  

That's a seriously cool find.

• 1 month later...

I really think the stug is overated, sure it was probably the best tank the Germans could offer but most early Soviet 76s had no problem penning them

Dont be fooled by the 5 to 1 stug myths comrades 

no, probably the BEST tank the germans had to offer was one of these 

kv1-beute-pzkw7561-1.jpg

Captured-T34-KV1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...