Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

StuG III Thread (and also other German vehicles I guess)

EnsignExpendable

1 hour ago, EnsignExpendable said:

Yup, it took up to 35 kg of effort to turn. The Pz 38(t) was the worst out of all the ones I read about at 60 kg.

5 hours ago, EnsignExpendable said:

The Sherman and T-34 have the same amount of effort required to operate them in Soviet trials, so the effort thing isn't true.

Intriguing data. Are these reports available online anywhere? Thanks!

On 16.2.2017 at 3:56 AM, Collimatrix said:

Some day I would love to learn why the designers in Germany and the USA were convinced that they needed the drive sprocket to be in the front.  I still haven't found a good explanation for this, especially considering that British and Soviet designers never suffered any such delusion.

Probably simply had to do with weight balance.  When I read through the development of different tanks (polish I believe) in Archive Awareness blog, they mentioned that the transmission was moved to the front for better weight distribution. Considering both the Sherman and Panther evolved from lightly armored vehicles like the early Panzer IV/III and M2/3, the engineers probably just went with what they knew. 

They probably did not think about using the transmission as a counterweight for heavy front armor since earlier vehicles had so thin armor the rear was almost as thick if not as thick as the front.

12 hours ago, EnsignExpendable said:

I'd have to root around for the originals, but my data is all collected here: http://tankarchives.blogspot.ca/2014/06/lever-forces.html

No, this is perfect, and I appreciate the link; I wouldn't be able to read the originals anyway. ;) Very interesting comparison, and a nice validation of the marine Estes quoted.