Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

2016 Presidential Election Thread Archive

Tied

I'm... I'm kinda sad. I remember when Libertarians used to be about the Constitution, auditing the Fed and getting the US outta the UN. Now they're nothing but a bunch of Bernie Sanders wannabes.

Unfortunately, it makes political sense. If you get a quarter of the Sanders people and lose every single person that voted for the Libertarians in 2012, you still come out way ahead.

Might end up voting for him anyway since Clinton and Trump are both shitty people, Stein is a lunatic, and random not-Trump Mormon dude's candidacy has no reason for existing besides not-Trump.

So I saw a couple weeks ago Gary Johnson endorsed Black Lives Matter. Now his running mate is calling AR-15s and handguns weapons of mass destruction.

http://www.guns.com/2016/08/12/libertarian-vp-nominee-william-weld-is-kinda-anti-gun-video/

And I guess he said you can take a standard military rifle that holds five shots, remove the pin, add a clip and it becomes fully automatic.

I'm... I'm kinda sad. I remember when Libertarians used to be about the Constitution, auditing the Fed and getting the US outta the UN. Now they're nothing but a bunch of Bernie Sanders wannabes.

"Libertarian" has always been a nebulous ideal. Libertarians largely stand for "liberty, I guess" though what that means is whatever they translate "liberty" to. The basic ideas of libertarianism allow for a lot of extrapolation to the point where "I believe in liberty" can mean "therefore I think we should strictly follow the constitution" or " The Constitution does not grant enough liberties therefore I don't believe large parts of it should be followed and should be changed, added to, or ignored." Two people on either side of the gun debate could claim to be libertarian and if they used personal liberties as reasoning for debate they could be right. Popular Libertarianism these days largely translates to pure contrarianism. A decent-sized portion of Bernie's supporters in reality being pretty far right-wing contrarians or that spat of media figures who went from being conservative, to neo-conservative to now being Libertarian are two prominent examples. 

A few examples of what I mean, though there are a lot more that go down to very specific political beliefs: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libertarianism#Prominent_currents

General rule of thumb is if you think there's a politician or movement out there that's perfect for you, you're most likely wrong. Bernouts are learning this lesson hard. We weren't trying to keep you from voting for him when we said he couldn't give you all he was promising, folks. We were telling you that it was literally impossible to get everything he promised and we wanted you to come to grips with what you'd get out of his presidency. Figure out what you want and find the movement people that can make that happen and understand what you have to compromise for it.

General rule of thumb is if you think there's a politician or movement out there that's perfect for you, you're most likely wrong. Figure out what you want and find the movement people that can make that happen and understand what you have to compromise for it.

Unfortunately, most people view politics more as a means of personal expression rather than a process of debate, deliberation and compromise aimed at achieving some sort of practical policy. Hence the replacement of rational thought with emotional attachments to labels and ideals.  Therefore, politics becomes a process of personal "purity", rather than any meaningful exercise in compromise for the greater good.  Tea Party activists complaining of "Rhinos" and Leftist SJWs posturing over identity politics both irritate the hell out of me.  

Certain people were predicting that at some point a health/wellness bomb would be dropped on Hillary, maybe this is it: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/aug/18/dr-drew-pinsky-gravely-concerned-about-hillary-cli/

So Clinton could die right after she's elected and Kaine becomes president? Not the worst outcome. 

There's been criticism of Clinton's speech about how it might legitimize and galvanize the alt right into an actual movement instead of just animea Nazis.

Yeah. I don't understand the strategy of trying to (David) Duke it out with a bunch of Internet trolls with sock puppet accounts.

I mean yes, it is a standard tactic to accuse any Republican of being a Nazi/KKK supporter whether they're Bob Dole, George W. Bush, John McCain or Mitt Romney.

But just like Trump has been faulted for going off message by debating campaign surrogates like Elizabeth Warren or that Khan guy, I don't see how it helps Hillary to take swings at people whom most Americans have never heard of.

Yeah. I don't understand the strategy of trying to (David) Duke it out with a bunch of Internet trolls with sock puppet accounts.

I mean yes, it is a standard tactic to accuse any Republican of being a Nazi/KKK supporter whether they're Bob Dole, George W. Bush, John McCain or Mitt Romney.

But just like Trump has been faulted for going off message by debating campaign surrogates like Elizabeth Warren or that Khan guy, I don't see how it helps Hillary to take swings at people whom most Americans have never heard of.

Right?  Instead of a speech where she gets to name some evil scapegoat whom the audience already has a knee-jerk hatred response to (Emmanuel Goldstein), she has to name some evil scapegoat and then explain why everyone is supposed to hate them.  That's much harder to do, and frankly I doubt she has to what it takes to pull that off.

Also, she actually called it the "Alternative Right," which makes me picture a bunch of flannel-wearing grunge Nazis who sing the Deutschlandlied really quietly and morosely except for the chorus which they scream.

In other news, Russian Intelligence the Romanian hacker Guccifer 2.0 has released more documents.  These are substantially less interesting at first glance.

It's interesting how the Alt-right has become such a boogeyman for the left, despite having no coherent platform.

It's early to say if the movement that put Donald and a few Teabaggers forward is a net pro or con positive. In the numerical sense for a presidential election, it's almost all good. When it comes to a media movement, it could be a short-term bad long-term good "Fox News" situation. When it comes to things like the Freedom Caucus and less aisle-crossing in Congress, it could be definitely bad for them. There are a lot of consequences of such a condensed political opposition depending on media, political, and voting presence.

Also, she actually called it the "Alternative Right," which makes me picture a bunch of flannel-wearing grunge Nazis who sing the Deutschlandlied really quietly and morosely except for the chorus which they scream.

To be fair, they probably know this really obscure nazi writer who you've never heard of.

I haven't watched it yet, but I'm imagining that it sounded like when parents try to tell their teenage kids about some scary new fad they heard about on the news.

ARE HEELIES THE START OF A FRIGHTENING NEW TREND? FIND OUT IN OUR SPECIAL REPORT!