Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

2016 Presidential Election Thread Archive

Tied

I'm a little baffled by the anti-Trump rhetoric I'm seeing.  I shouldn't be baffled, but evidently I lack pattern recognition.  Pattern recognition in this case being the realization that Trump's opponents this year are cretins who cannot construct an effective anti-Trump campaign to save their lives.  Or at least to save their jobs.

The line right now, which if I had to guess is a carefully massaged and coordinated astro-turf product, is that Trump is dire threat to world peace, the balance of the Force, and virgin puppies everywhere.

So they're conceding the idea that he's strong.  The anti-Trump rhetoric is that the guy, when elected, will somehow arrogate absolute authority and start tossing undesirables into gas chambers while he munches on the pickled hearts of orphans from atop his throne of heartless orphans.

Now, maybe I've read too much Nietzsche, but surely it would be more effective to disparage the man as a posturing, fluorescent marmoset who's way out of his depth?  Not by wrath does one kill, and all that.  In fact, if I recall that was the anti-Trump line about a year ago; that the guy was a joke.  But suddenly now he's Vlad Tepes.  Why the change?  What does that betoken?  To me, it looks like fear.  Certainly, it does not look like being the strong horse.

The problem is he can't do half the shit he wants to. The president either doesn't have the power or it would be a disastrous circus if we demanded tributes from nations or whatever. So as far as what he can actually do that's not crazy, what is there?

The problem is he can't do half the shit he wants to. The president either doesn't have the power or it would be a disastrous circus if we demanded tributes from nations or whatever. So as far as what he can actually do that's not crazy, what is there?

Definitely a feature, not a bug.  That's what makes 2016 hilarious, harmless entertainment instead of a genuinely terrifying time to be alive.

But I try not to spread that around too much.  The pants-shitting hysteria is part of the show too.  And it's a good show.

It's not crazy to talk about how much money people in Russia's government have working with Trump has no influence on him whatsoever, but saying he'll sell the US out over it just as crazy as saying Obama would surrender us to China and Sharia law at the same time. At most I'd see some sanctions quietly lifted here, a few contracts pushed through there. Anything more would piss a lot more substantial allies off.

In other news, there are Democrat party members locking themselves in sound-proof rooms and thanking Allah for Debbie Schulz getting booted out. The Wikileaks thing will likely become an election issue, but the big long-term is that she was an absolute nightmare for the party in terms of business and relations and a Goon staffer I'm friends with talked about his boss almost crying in joy at the prospect of her gone. 

So the Democrats are engaged in 1968 Cosplay at the moment?

Also having the head of the DNC resign to kick off your party's convention is a great way to start.

This is seriously the weirdest presidential race I have seen in my lifetime.  The Republicans nominate a candidate so obnoxious that most of their senior leadership refuse to attend.  The democrats nominate a candidate so disliked that most of their base prefer a guy that isn't even really a Democrat.   If this were the Stanley Cup playoffs, it would be the 2006 finals which featured the Edmonton Oilers vs the Carolina Hurricane.  That finals left hockey fans across the continent scratching there heads going "how the fuck did these two teams make the finals?"  At the end, the Hurricanes won not because they were the better team so much as because they sucked slightly less than their opponent.

Part of my job is being responsible for making sure a 100+ year old building with a 400 seat auditorium is at the proper temperature for our guests.  I have had many conversations with our heating and cooling contractor ( a very down to earth and likable guy named Kevin) about what air conditioning units can and cannot do.  One thing I know for sure is that you can't leave the doors open on a 90+ degree day for two fucking hours and expect the building to cool down.  

Trump gripes about hotel hot air, says he might not pay bill

Got one paragraph in, saw that the moron who wrote it doesn't even have enough grasp of the human language, context or a sense of humor to know that Trump was being sarcastic about wanting Russia to hack Hillary-beast's missing emails. Then I saw it was Vice news.

Typical.

New York Times coverage of #DNCleak be like: 

"Voldemort Putin wants Trump to win, vote Hillary"

Not a bad article that covers news articles narratives about Trump and Putin.

http://www.ronpaulinstitute.org/archives/featured-articles/2016/july/26/donald-trump-and-vladimir-putin-potential-partners-not-allies-or-even-friends/

Trump “can’t help but gush with praise at those who use violence to oppress their people,”

In fairness, violence is the best tool for oppressing people.

The Kremlin hates everything about America except for Donald Trump

The savages!  What about our delicious cheeseburgers?!

And really, this will only get the two countries back to where they should have been in 2008, when McCain and Putin could bond over their mutual love of ABBA.