Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The M4 Sherman Tank Epic Information Thread.. (work in progress)

Can you tell me what model this one is Walt? :lol:

It's identified as an M4A4.  From the Dutch AFV Registry:

According to a plate fixed on the tank, “This tank served with the 5th Canadian Armoured Division under the command of Major General B. M. Hoffmeister and was part of the 2nd Tank Regiment, Lord Strathcona's Horse Royal Canadians. Together with its sister regiments The Royal Canadian 8th Princess Louise Hussars and The Royal Canadian British Columbian Dragoons, it took part in Operation Dutch Cleanser, planned to liberate the western Veluwe area from Arnhem. The operation started on April 14th, 1945 and followed the route Deelen Airfield – the Hoge Veluwe – Otterlo. From there they liberated Wekerom, Barneveld, Voorthuizen, Nijkerk and finally Harderwijk on April 18th, 1945. Eight tanks were lost during this operation. ARGYLE belonged to the 4th troop of the A-Squadron of the 2nd Tank Regiment (the figure 4 in a triangle, colour yellow). The maroon-coloured rectangle with the Maple Leaf indicates it belonged to the 5th Canadian Armoured Division. The black number 30 in the yellow circle stands for the weight classification.” Factory SN 3057774 The true tory behind this ARGYLE is not clear, because “ARGYLE” of the 4th troop A-squadron was a Sherman Firefly.

It's identified as an M4A4.  From the Dutch AFV Registry:

According to a plate fixed on the tank, “This tank served with the 5th Canadian Armoured Division under the command of Major General B. M. Hoffmeister and was part of the 2nd Tank Regiment, Lord Strathcona's Horse Royal Canadians. Together with its sister regiments The Royal Canadian 8th Princess Louise Hussars and The Royal Canadian British Columbian Dragoons, it took part in Operation Dutch Cleanser, planned to liberate the western Veluwe area from Arnhem. The operation started on April 14th, 1945 and followed the route Deelen Airfield – the Hoge Veluwe – Otterlo. From there they liberated Wekerom, Barneveld, Voorthuizen, Nijkerk and finally Harderwijk on April 18th, 1945. Eight tanks were lost during this operation. ARGYLE belonged to the 4th troop of the A-Squadron of the 2nd Tank Regiment (the figure 4 in a triangle, colour yellow). The maroon-coloured rectangle with the Maple Leaf indicates it belonged to the 5th Canadian Armoured Division. The black number 30 in the yellow circle stands for the weight classification.” Factory SN 3057774 The true tory behind this ARGYLE is not clear, because “ARGYLE” of the 4th troop A-squadron was a Sherman Firefly.

Cool, well they got the model right for sure, it's hard to miss an M4A4 once you know to look at bogie spacing.  Many M4A4 or Sherman V tanks were converted to Fireflys that one probably ones one of them since it still has the bow machine gun. 

Hmm, good or bad? 

Anyway, can I steel all your vacation pics?   :)

Honestly, there are only a few responses in the thread.  Most of the people seem to think its an interesting looking site although someone thought you were being a bit harsh concerning the quality of German tanks.  

If you would like to use any of my photos, feel free to do so.   

Honestly, there are only a few responses in the thread.  Most of the people seem to think its an interesting looking site although someone thought you were being a bit harsh concerning the quality of German tanks.  

Cool, thanks!

What's weird is my browser freaks out everytime I try and go to the site, saying it's not secure, but I have gotten a big spike in activity from there. 

Cool, thanks!

What's weird is my browser freaks out everytime I try and go to the site, saying it's not secure, but I have gotten a big spike in activity from there. 

Its not just you, for some reason Tank-net got on the bad side of the virus-protection gods.  I had to make an exception for it in my virus protection program as well as my browser. 

Having worked on WW2 German armor, vehicles and many postwar German vehicles, I offer that "The people claiming he was too harsh on Kraut armor need to get some skinned knuckes on them, before being too gentle on them".

I've even owned my share of German contrivances. 

Had a fifties era 180D. Pretty car, and it rode nice, but- it'd do zero to sixty in "never".

Still, flooring it to selections from the "Das Boot" soundtrack never failed to elicit smiles and laughter.

Had a "toaster" BMW bike for a time, but it was absurdly expensive to keep running, and chased me to the far saner (relatively) British bikes.  When it ran it was rather nice, but when it broke it was a shitheap.

The Limey bikes were pretty funky from the start, and hence could only get better. And usually did.  My last one was absurdly reliable and would pull from a dead stop in fourth.  God bless Triumph.

Drove loads of "MOG's". Wonderful, if you did not need to get anywhere in anything resembling a hurry, and had an infinite maintenance budget.  A Haflinger would do anything they did at a fraction of the cost, and a M-37 would actually do a skosh more if you did not give a damn.

Once saw a very tweaked U-406 UNIMOG towed all over a pasture by a mildly reworked M-715, a vehicle not known for it's towing or durability.

So yea. The only difference between German shit, and regular Shit, is the engineering costs.

Sherman recovered from Thomas Donaldson, which sank in 1945.

0_110f04_b2e8b740_orig.jpg

"Hello bud, welcome home. "

Now we just have to worry about some group of invertebrates turning it into an art project, instead of another group of invertebrates using it as a home.

13782203_940881696041623_388793435090985

An M4A3 Sherman flame-throwing tank, 4th Tank Battalion, Fourth Marine Division goes into action, along with US Marine snipers, as the battle for the possession of Iwo Jima rages on, March 1945.

The new M4 Sherman flame thrower tank, designated POA-CWS "75" H-1 or POA-CWS-H1 (POA for Pacific Ocean Areas, CWS for Chemical Warfare Service, H for Hawaii), used the US Navy Mark 1 flamethrower system, based on the Q design E14-7R2. It was demonstrated to the Tenth Army about 1 November 1944. The weapon used compressed carbon dioxide gas to propel the fuel, had a fuel capacity of 290 gallons, a range of 40 yards with oily fuel and 60 to 80 yards with thickened fuel. Eight M4A3 Shermans modified with the POA-CWS-H1 were sent to the Fleet Marine Force, Pacific, for the Iwo Jima operation and 54 were supplied to the 713th Provisional Flame Thrower Tank Battalion for the Ryukyus operation (Okinawa).- WWII Colorized Photos.