Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

General PC games master race thread. Everything about games. EVERYTHING.

LoooSeR

An almost hour-long, but very good presentation on Doom:

I highly recommend it.  Did you know that at one point there were more installs of Doom than there were installs of Windows operating system?  I don't think any video game will ever be able to claim that again ever.

I think some people would take your bet, but that's more about being very bullish about mobile than anything else.

Don't try to tell Division fans this to their faces, but I feel like the game should have shipped without PvP. As it stands, anyone jumping into PvP has either completely decked-out gear and/or is glitching/cheating and can instantly down you by dumping a 40-round Vector mag in under a second. Up to that point, it was one of my favorite co-op games of all time, and I've had much more fun just making new characters and playing all missions on Hard while just exploring the city.

Oh do tell me this. It's a total fucking abrogation of the designers' responsibility to have no way to prevent cheating, only hand out two day bans for cheating, and to force anyone who wants any of a wide spectrum of end game gear to go into PvPvE. It wouldn't be okay even if blue on blue weren't possible simply because as soon as you're competing over drops, cheating and power gaps between you and minmaxers are very serious problems that absolutely ruin fun.

I think some people would take your bet, but that's more about being very bullish about mobile than anything else.

Oh do tell me this. It's a total fucking abrogation of the designers' responsibility to have no way to prevent cheating, only hand out two day bans for cheating, and to force anyone who wants any of a wide spectrum of end game gear to go into PvPvE. It wouldn't be okay even if blue on blue weren't possible simply because as soon as you're competing over drops, cheating and power gaps between you and minmaxers are very serious problems that absolutely ruin fun.

There are some caveats. There's a patch coming Tuesday that increases quality drops from special enemies and de-emphasizes the crafting. There's also going to be special "loot drop" events in Dark Zone where a randomized drops will hit, and if you pick it up, it's yours (no extraction needed). I'm cautiously optimistic.

My main problem is how the gameplay changes once you hit level cap and start doing The Hard Stuff. I think they had a lot of QA playing the game the way the devs wanted it to be played, because they seem completely unaware that Challenge Mode is now an easy pile of shit and most players are going in hip-fire circles through the Dark Zone to level up their DZ rank, which just results in lots of empty areas with no enemies. The Dark Zone as it stands right now mainly exists for players to get special blueprints and crafting tech in order to better grind the Dark Zone.

I'm just twinked out enough that I'm not great at PvP, but PvE is a joke and I rarely use cover anymore, and it's become very unfun. When a challenge does present itself, it's usually in the form of grenadiers who are unfun purely because I spend most of the time somersaulting away from a grenade, pecking them, somersaulting away from a grenade...

Remember when good games with single player campaigns were coming out, and it was obvious that the campaigns suffered because of shoe-horned multiplayer and we all said "Hey you could do multiplayer or single, it doesn't have to be both!" I feel like devs/publishers took the wrong lesson from that. Because now all of a sudden we're inundated with action multiplayer games.

Overwatch, Battleborn, The Division, Garden Warfare 2, Escape From Tarkov, and Umbrella Corps, among others, are lined up for 2016 in a world where multiplayer games are dying on release or in Early Access. It's also gotten to the point where playing any action game is pointless due to the sheer amount of hackers. The Division is a serious shitshow as of this post because of a large amount of hackers and a glitch that created a cascade in stats that allowed people to get infinite materials and damage stacks in addition to other exploits.

I've been going back to play the Brothers in Arms games, Wolfenstein: New Order, Resistance 1&3, and classic Doom just to be free of always-on shooty action that instead focused on creating fun single-player experiences. Hell, I'm actually even getting back into R6: Siege because it's just tinkered well enough that I feel like I bought it and the devs are leaving me alone, only to pop in to fix bugs and provide occasional content.

Remember when good games with single player campaigns were coming out, and it was obvious that the campaigns suffered because of shoe-horned multiplayer and we all said "Hey you could do multiplayer or single, it doesn't have to be both!" I feel like devs/publishers took the wrong lesson from that. Because now all of a sudden we're inundated with action multiplayer games.

Overwatch, Battleborn, The Division, Garden Warfare 2, Escape From Tarkov, and Umbrella Corps, among others, are lined up for 2016 in a world where multiplayer games are dying on release or in Early Access. It's also gotten to the point where playing any action game is pointless due to the sheer amount of hackers. The Division is a serious shitshow as of this post because of a large amount of hackers and a glitch that created a cascade in stats that allowed people to get infinite materials and damage stacks in addition to other exploits.

I've been going back to play the Brothers in Arms games, Wolfenstein: New Order, Resistance 1&3, and classic Doom just to be free of always-on shooty action that instead focused on creating fun single-player experiences. Hell, I'm actually even getting back into R6: Siege because it's just tinkered well enough that I feel like I bought it and the devs are leaving me alone, only to pop in to fix bugs and provide occasional content.

Part of the problem for me is that all of these games seem to be made under the assumption that the playerbase will all have a ping of under 100ms (with no sudden spikes) from any of the servers and that they have the wherewithall to download multi-gig updates for all of their installed games once every few weeks. It also seems to be an assumption that the average user has 10 hours a week to invest, sometimes per game, to remain competitive.