Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Post Election Thread: Democracy Dies In Darkness And You Can Help

T___A

People are mad and lashing out. I'm not saying my memory is faultless or anything, but I don't remember the Republican reaction being like this in '08.

Most of the super Trump supporting "Blue collar sort" (Read: Redneck as SHIT) people in my family and back home saw the '08 election and went, "Well, shit, this is gonna suck." 

They didn't protest like this, that's for sure. 

People are mad and lashing out. I'm not saying my memory is faultless or anything, but I don't remember the Republican reaction being like this in '08.

I remember the old Glenn Beck

I think the Republican response to 2008 was more accepting because they admitted that the 2008 economic collapse and the Iraq debacle was on their hands.  

Most democrats have always painted the Obama administration as pure and it has done no wrong, so I think there's a mental disconnect that's happened. They can't believe Clinton lost because Obama was "perfect" and Clinton is Obama. If that makes any sense. 

I remember the old Glenn Beck

I think the Republican response to 2008 was more accepting because they admitted that the 2008 economic collapse and the Iraq debacle was on their hands.  

Most democrats have always painted the Obama administration as pure and it has done no wrong, so I think there's a mental disconnect that's happened. They can't believe Clinton lost because Obama was "perfect" and Clinton is Obama. If that makes any sense. 

Makes perfect meat-sense.

It started out innocently enough, a Texas Republican elector stated he would not be voting for Trump.  Fair enough; faithless electors are allowed in many states.

Then he said that he would not vote for Trump because of Pence.  OK.

Then a right-wing trollmedia did a hit piece on the guy... and whoah boy.  At first glance, their evidence is convincing.  So this news item has been upgraded to the standards of complete insanity that we've come to expect out of 2016.

It started out innocently enough, a Texas Republican elector stated he would not be voting for Trump.  Fair enough; faithless electors are allowed in many states.

Then he said that he would not vote for Trump because of Pence.  OK.

Then a right-wing trollmedia did a hit piece on the guy... and whoah boy.  At first glance, their evidence is convincing.  So this news item has been upgraded to the standards of complete insanity that we've come to expect out of 2016.

He sounds like one of the standard low-level political remoras that you can find all over the place at either GOP or Democrat party at the local, county or state functions. God I hate them.

Assuming that troll site is accurate of course. Which is an if...

He sounds like one of the standard low-level political remoras that you can find all over the place at either GOP or Democrat party at the local, county or state functions. God I hate them.

Assuming that troll site is accurate of course. Which is an if...

Some day someone will have to do a taxonomy of all the fascinating parasites of the American political system.  It will be a colorful bestiary for sure.

In unrelated news:

nJLlVCl.jpg

I'm not understanding why everyone is so upset with Russia apparently putting their hands into the election somehow. 

Didn't Saudi Arabia give a ton of money to the Clinton campaign? How is that any different? 

Because Russia is Bad. Duh.

Because BAAAEEEYYYEEERRR NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

No. Seriously.

According to the New York Times, the fact that the Russkies have been trying to hack and influence the US election has been known since September of 2015.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/13/us/politics/russia-hack-election-dnc.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=a-lede-package-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=0

The FBI knew it. And they tried to talk to the DNC and got shuffled along to some flunky in the IT department who didn't believe they were the FBI.

So you'd think that - I don't know - the President of the most powerful country with the most powerful military in the world would tell the Russkies to back off if this was such a terrible issue. Except this didn't happen. 

I believe that the Democrats and Obama didn't think the Russkie involvement was that big of a deal. Or if they did, they didn't think it was worth the diplomatic effort to get Putin to back off. Furthermore, by their actions, I believe the Democrats thought they had this election in the bag and it wasn't even worth bringing the subject up. It was only after they lost that the lot of over-paid, incompetent idjits are in search of finding and excuse as to why their candidate lost to Trump.

And again.

Maybe if the Democrats weren't actively trying to rig the primary against Bernie Sanders, then they wouldn't have been caught by the Russians (if it was the Russkies) doing this.

Or maybe if they hadn't nominated the worst, most corrupt and most unlikable human beings in America as their candidate, this wouldn't have happened either.

Another question is whether the Russkies were "helping" Trump. Personally, I don't think so either and my hunch is that they were doing these hacking shenanigans to discredit the future Hillary Administration. I'm not convinced that the Russkies thought Trump was going to win. They were just trying to leverage themselves further when the Hildabeast was in office. 

Because BAAAEEEYYYEEERRR NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

No. Seriously.

According to the New York Times, the fact that the Russkies have been trying to hack and influence the US election has been known since September of 2015.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/13/us/politics/russia-hack-election-dnc.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=a-lede-package-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=0

The FBI knew it. And they tried to talk to the DNC and got shuffled along to some flunky in the IT department who didn't believe they were the FBI.

So you'd think that - I don't know - the President of the most powerful country with the most powerful military in the world would tell the Russkies to back off if this was such a terrible issue. Except this didn't happen. 

I believe that the Democrats and Obama didn't think the Russkie involvement was that big of a deal. Or if they did, they didn't think it was worth the diplomatic effort to get Putin to back off. Furthermore, by their actions, I believe the Democrats thought they had this election in the bag and it wasn't even worth bringing the subject up. It was only after they lost that the lot of over-paid, incompetent idjits are in search of finding and excuse as to why their candidate lost to Trump.

And again.

Maybe if the Democrats weren't actively trying to rig the primary against Bernie Sanders, then they wouldn't have been caught by the Russians (if it was the Russkies) doing this.

Or maybe if they hadn't nominated the worst, most corrupt and most unlikable human beings in America as their candidate, this wouldn't have happened either.

Another question is whether the Russkies were "helping" Trump. Personally, I don't think so either and my hunch is that they were doing these hacking shenanigans to discredit the future Hillary Administration. I'm not convinced that the Russkies thought Trump was going to win. They were just trying to leverage themselves further when the Hildabeast was in office. 

DNC managed to lose to fucking Trump of all people and this is with all the major media outlets supporting them. I think they refuse to acknowledge it because it would be acknowledging how incompetent they are.

If they don't get their heads out of their asses and reform, at this rate the next Democrat candidate might be the next Mondale if Trump gets a moderately successful term.

Weaponsman weighs in on the hacking.

According to the account from the New York Times, the FBI is apparently convinced that a group out of Russia (probably but not necessarily government-supported) hacked the DNC.

The bottom line, though, is that the DNC's security was so bad that I don't think we can rule out multiple, independent groups of hackers.  Some people say the leaks came from insiders.  Some say that the Russians broke into the servers.  They might both be right.

I guess we are led to believe that John Podesta fell for a phishing scam. And when he asked his IT guy whether it was alright to click the link in an email, we are then meant to believe that the IT guy is so incompetent that he misspelled "illegitimate" when describing the email saying it was legitimate instead.

http://thehill.com/policy/cybersecurity/310234-typo-may-have-caused-podesta-email-hack

Seriously.

These are the morons and bumbling fools who Hillary surrounded herself with and was going to bring into the White House in order to lead the free world?

You know. We give movie villains a bad time for surrounding themselves with idiots and nincompoops and dimwits who are easily duped by the hero or heroine or small dogs and cats. Ummm. Maybe this is just normal behavior afterall? 

I guess we are led to believe that John Podesta fell for a phishing scam. And when he asked his IT guy whether it was alright to click the link in an email, we are then meant to believe that the IT guy is so incompetent that he misspelled "illegitimate" when describing the email saying it was legitimate instead.

http://thehill.com/policy/cybersecurity/310234-typo-may-have-caused-podesta-email-hack

Seriously.

These are the morons and bumbling fools who Hillary surrounded herself with and was going to bring into the White House in order to lead the free world?

You know. We give movie villains a bad time for surrounding themselves with idiots and nincompoops and dimwits who are easily duped by the hero or heroine or small dogs and cats. Ummm. Maybe this is just normal behavior afterall? 

I recall seeing that email chain in the leaks and wouldn't be too surprised if this is what the leaks came from.  I know I've said it a million times by now, but I'm not even a cyber security person and I could still see them doing a bunch of stuff that you don't want to do.  Using the current year for passwords on password-protected files, sending passwords over email and then using that password everywhere, sending their SSNs over email, etc.  I was actually lucky enough to find the 4chan thread on this right as they found his password, and within a matter of minutes, they were screwing with his Apple, twitter and bus ticket stuff.  His wife's Linkedn was also broken into later  the same way.  Kinda sucks for them, but can't say I feel very sorry for our boy John.

And if all of that was done by people who don't know a thing about hacking, it's no wonder that leaks happened.  This sort of comedy really helped keep the election interesting, not that it would have been boring without it.