Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The Leopard 2 Thread

Militarysta

On 4/14/2023 at 7:27 AM, SH_MM said:

Germany wants to order 18 Leopard 2A8 tanks with the options for more ("a middle three-digit number").

Don’t know how I missed this, but what’s been changed over the 2A7? Just the trophy (and APU), or some other systems? 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/2/2023 at 8:59 PM, AtomSez said:

Hi, i have a question regarding the 40mm upper glacis: it seem to me a vulnerable point, and in the A7 upgrade has been somewhat resolved. also the Strd 122 has a similar applique armour. How much this plate can protect against modern russian APFSDS? is the 7° slope effective enough?

The upper glacis is most likely a 45mm plate @ 82 deg, which is equivalent to ~350mm of RHA. An additional atleast 45mm of plating has then been added on top of that for the 2A7V bumping protection there up to above 700mm RHAe. That said this protection value is taken from a Swedish leak regarding Strv122 protection levels whilst using 90's D-tech external addon armour. It's rather likely that the 2A7V uses newer (E, F, G-Tech etc) external armour packages which provide even better protection.

On 5/24/2023 at 6:47 AM, Pardus said:

The upper glacis is most likely a 45mm plate @ 82 deg, which is equivalent to ~350mm of RHA. An additional atleast 45mm of plating has then been added on top of that for the 2A7V bumping protection there up to above 700mm RHAe

The add-on armor is not homogenous steel.

On 5/24/2023 at 6:47 AM, Pardus said:

That said this protection value is taken from a Swedish leak regarding Strv122 protection levels whilst using 90's D-tech external addon armour. It's rather likely that the 2A7V uses newer (E, F, G-Tech etc) external armour packages which provide even better protection.

There are no "F-Technology" and "G-Technology" armor systems. The add-on armor for the Leopard 2 PSO, 2A4M CAN and Leopard 2A7 models is the "E-Technology".

However the name does not refer to a specific armor solution, i.e. there are multiple types of armor systems based on "D-Technology" with different protection levels - with newer ones being developed and fielded after the original one. E.g. the Leopardo 2E is better protected than the Stridsvagn 122, despite both of them using armor in "D-Technology".

On 5/26/2023 at 1:50 PM, SH_MM said:

The add-on armor is not homogenous steel.

No it's one of the "x"-tech NERA/NxRA external addon types. I don't know which letter they use today, you claim E, which might be right.

IIRC the combined thickness of the addon armour, i.e. a steel + mystery layer + steel sandwhich bolted together, is 65mm based on pictorial evidence, 45mm of that consisting of what is believed to be high hardness steel. 

16 hours ago, Wiedzmin said:

ghX9l59_hWU.jpg?size=2560x1226&quality=9

some strange testbed with cuted roof

unXHUPeq66E.jpg?size=700x393&quality=96&

addons look like RI

leopard_2_revolution.jpg

This is the tank (or at least the hull), shown at Eurosatory 2014. AFAIK it was a proposed variant for either an upgrade offer made to Chile or a sales offer made to Peru.

The turret seems to be taken from a different tank, might have been a testbed used for the ADS. Not only the roof was removed, but also the optics (EMES 15 and PERI R17) and there are marks near the turret bustle from an impact.

ds07YiK.jpeg

Leo 2A8 for Norway too  it seems. Main difference will be integration of Kongsberg ICS/CORTEX, and probably few other changes, earning the tank the designation Leo 2A8 NOR, but it's essentially the same tank as the one that will be delivered to the BW (with more countries likely to follow).

https://www.shephardmedia.com/news/landwarfareintl/configuration-is-finalised-for-norways-leopard-2a8-tank-order/

1 hour ago, Laser Shark said:

Leo 2A8 for Norway too  it seems. Main difference will be integration of Kongsberg ICS/CORTEX, and probably few other changes, earning the tank the designation Leo 2A8 NOR, but it's essentially the same tank as the one that will be delivered to the BW (with more countries likely to follow).

https://www.shephardmedia.com/news/landwarfareintl/configuration-is-finalised-for-norways-leopard-2a8-tank-order/

Wasn't all of that planed before like trophy and co. and only i think the roof armor would be new ? I mean the diffrence of A7NO and A8NO

That’s a very difficult question to answer since the 2A7 NOR is surrounded in speculation more so than facts. It might be that it was going to be something else before the Norwegian Army changed up its mind (for one reason or the other), or it could be that the 2A7NOR was finalised as the 2A8NOR because the Norwegian and German armies were of a similar mind about what their future tank should be like.

• 2 weeks later...

A third batch of 11 Wisent 2s was just confirmed for Norway. 8 will be in the AEV role, and the remaining 3 in the ARV role. FMA also makes a point to mention that some of these were needed to replace the 3 NM189 AEVs and the single NM217 ARV that were donated to Ukraine earlier this year.

https://www.fma.no/aktuelt-og-media/2020/forsvaret-far-flere-ingenior-og-bergingspanservogner

Another 2 LEGUAN Leo 2 AVLBs are also in the pipeline, but there's been no news of any contract just yet.

And finally, the option to purchase the additional 18 Leo 2A8NOR apparently runs out today, so unless we see some kind of announcement on this today, even just an extension of the deadline, I don't have much hope for any additional MBTs for Norway.