Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Britons are in trouble

Mighty_Zuk

On 7/16/2021 at 9:16 PM, Korvette said:

I would like some feedback but imo this gives a pretty good insight to the tanks turret, I will be maybe working on a full analysis of the turret mantlet soon if I feel like it to see an accurate representation of its armor

unknown-6.png

there not much to "analyze" LOS without backplate us 700-ish so... mantlet is simple weakspot without any magic

13 hours ago, Wiedzmin said:

unknown-6.png

there not much to "analyze" LOS without backplate us 700-ish so... mantlet is simple weakspot without any magic

It's definitely sub 700 no matter what.

The air gap far exceeds the LOS of the front mantlet piece of the set up with some basic measuring, and consider that you can see the diameter of the trunnion in the turret shell photos it's very mediocre, so sub 600mm effective LOS down to 550. The trunnion is probably cast too considering the shape...

9 hours ago, Sturgeon said:

Watching the mythology of Challenger 2 collapse finally after all these years has been deeply satisfying to me.

Won't collapse yet for a fair bit. So many are still holding onto that mantlet, the suspension making the tank mobile, the 'dorchester', the L27 being a mythical round, the LFP not being an existent target. A tank failing in trials is somehow okay but a tank 'failing' in combat is indicative of bad design.

3 hours ago, Korvette said:

Won't collapse yet for a fair bit. So many are still holding onto that mantlet, the suspension making the tank mobile, the 'dorchester', the L27 being a mythical round, the LFP not being an existent target. A tank failing in trials is somehow okay but a tank 'failing' in combat is indicative of bad design.

Idk man it seems to be largely falling apart to me.

2 hours ago, Sturgeon said:

Idk man it seems to be largely falling apart to me.

To anyone that's got even a remotely trained eye the CR2 was already atrocious, at least that's what I assumed, I was thinking more about the regular person still has that image probably.

8 hours ago, Korvette said:

To anyone that's got even a remotely trained eye the CR2 was already atrocious, at least that's what I assumed, I was thinking more about the regular person still has that image probably.

Yeah you're right about that. Maybe I just hang out too much here.

7 hours ago, Wiedzmin said:

i'm only about turret, mantlet is simple 50mm RHA(or even less) + rotor(cradle) which can't be much thciker than 200-250mm

img_0047.jpg

img_0048.jpg

img_0052.jpg

hbqkyAPaOIY.jpg?size=2326x2160&quality=9

those "v" shaped weldments on mantlet also strange...

c98LIkdWDdg.jpg?size=1814x1361&quality=9

LnmK5Pnk9qs.jpg?size=1814x1361&quality=9

IKS-XXcl77M.jpg?size=1100x618&quality=96

Oh I get it now. 

Very nice photos

4 hours ago, Sturgeon said:

Yeah you're right about that. Maybe I just hang out too much here.

Though I still do see what you mean, I've noticed a lot of people sometimes realizing some of the infinite disadvantages the CR2 has on its belt compared to any other MBT, but not many people.

12 minutes ago, Sturgeon said:

Not sure I'm seeing it.

Spoiler

unknown.png?width=1153&height=670

360mm cast armor + the front piece which is 2/3rds hollow so around -50-100mm RHA (hopefully RHA) sloped based on the photos wiedz posted, you get not enough armor to stop any soviet/russian round after the 90's into the 2000s and beyond. And a jammed elevation drive.

This isn't including that it basically takes up 1/3rd of the total turret face of the tank.

4 minutes ago, Sturgeon said:

Oh sure I thought there was something else illuminating in those photos we hadn't established.

No it was just the mantlet he was outlining, I assume.

But in general what hasn't been established to be bad about the tank, it's quite hard to jeer the tank now sometimes since its all already known stuff.