Spoiler

3aGXQ4R.png

rCTG9pW.png

MD06PGL.png

L3JrHnv.png

QuFkP3b.png

aIjSjnl.png

5LKY9wG.png

I moved the driver up 750mm, which allows me to move the turret forward a little bit, or increase the thickness of the forward turret array... or maybe both. Unfortunately, this means I can no longer vent exhaust out the port sponson, so the floor exhaust opening has been widened to accommodate. The hull is 40mm wider (the sponsons and tracks will be reduced by a similar length, to keep the width requirements), and the place for the rear idler and track storage were added (each box can hold at least 4 track links). This is to increase the turret ring diameter, and comfort for the turret crew. Added the 8th road wheel back on, and other changes will be slightly reduced road wheel diameter. There is also a new grill, just above the engine, for additional air flow; it is composed of 4 layers of 25mm wide bars, with composition:

20mm RHA

20mm FHA

20mm FHA

20mm FHA

each with a 20mm air gap between them (reference picture 3 in the spoiler for details). 

the 155mm gun is giving me a little trouble, being so damn big. I might downsize to a 140, but I would prefer the 155 is I can make it work. 

Something else of note:

I checked the armour models of modern MBTs on War Thunder (so, you know, take the following with a massive grain of salt). It looks like nobody is putting NERA on the hull sides except as forward side-skirt arrays. My guess is that the armour mass just becomes too insane if you try to armour anything more than the turret and hull front.

Which seems to explain the crazy armour fractions I'm getting, but also means that we're officially in uncharted territory as far as tank design goes.

Well, a major tradeoff between engine fore and engine aft designs is that engine aft trades rear access for superior forward hull side armouring.

But 2 examples of fore engine tank designs of the 1950/60s would be S tank and T92 light tank.

7 hours ago, Toxn said:

Something else of note:

I checked the armour models of modern MBTs on War Thunder (so, you know, take the following with a massive grain of salt). It looks like nobody is putting NERA on the hull sides except as forward side-skirt arrays. My guess is that the armour mass just becomes too insane if you try to armour anything more than the turret and hull front.

Which seems to explain the crazy armour fractions I'm getting, but also means that we're officially in uncharted territory as far as tank design goes.

2ucQj.jpg

16 minutes ago, Whatismoo said:

What's this? Google tells me some post-Soviet Ukrainian development of Obj.477?

How can it be post Soviet if it is Soviet? Yes, this is Object 477 Molot. In post Soviet perioud there were projects like Nota (Object 477A1 or A2) but development as a word is too serious to describe what was happening to Soviet MBT programs in 90s.

15 hours ago, Toxn said:

Something else of note:

I think we might also be experimenting with composite side armor because we also have more than ~60 tons to work with. I’m sure if you told tank designers that they could have a 120 ton vehicle, they would armor the hell out of every possible surface. 

9 hours ago, Lord_James said:

I think we might also be experimenting with composite side armor because we also have more than ~60 tons to work with. I’m sure if you told tank designers that they could have a 120 ton vehicle, they would armor the hell out of every possible surface. 

They would, but regardless it hasn't been done.

And there's no way these things can be 120 tonnes - I seem to remember that more than 90 and you can't make the ground pressure requirements.

On 5/15/2019 at 1:27 PM, Toxn said:

You guys know that NERA is more effective, right?

Not always, when compared to dwell armour.   But for 1950s/60s only ceramics used in non military industries would be cost feasible.  And the calculations become even more mangled.

I know I've been doing this a lot this competition, but I went through another complete redesign:

HXdOUIq.jpg

I'll update as things shake out.

Edit: this is a slightly prettier shot:

3754fqK.jpg

The main features of this one are a four-man crew, front engine setup (two cut-down V-10 engines in the hull left, driving the transmission in the rear via a shaft), a 85mm/L70 high-velocity gun, and four 250mm SACLOS missiles with two guidance options (IR or radar - the equipment for each being seperately installed). The mass is about 54 tonnes.

The project's provisional name is "Stumpy".

Well, now's as good a time as any for the great announcement:

ATTENTION COMPETITORS:

@Toxn

@Collimatrix

@LostCosmonaut

@Lord_James

@DIADES

@Datengineerwill

@Whatismoo

@Kal

@Zadlo

@Xoon

And any others I may have missed:

The time of submission is approaching, and the DPRC is getting ready to evaluate your designs!

Detailed submission guidelines will be posted soon in a dedicated thread.

The date of submission is in 3 weeks from the time of posting, Tuesday the 11th of June at 23:59 GMT.

Incomplete designs may be submitted as they are and will be judged as seen fit.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been permitted to pull back the veil of secrecy, and post a picture of the 125mm fully-tracked gun-tank Object 138, along with some vital statistics.

125mm Fully-tracked gun-tank Object 138

unknown.png

Heavy Tank of Novel Type

Mass: <47,500kg

Length: 6.76 m (hull) 15.42 m (gun forward)

Width: 2.30 m

Height: 2.41 m

Crew: Three (Commander, Gunner, Driver)

Armor: Novel composite armor in excess of objective requirements as stated in the RFP

Main Armament: 125mm 2A35 high-velocity smoothbore gun with autoloader

- APCBC performance in excess of M-62T2 and in excess of requirements and with engagement

- 45 rounds, with 30 in autoloader.

- Equipped with a gun-launched antitank guided missile of novel type "Armor Piercing Solid Fuel RamJet" 3UBM1 and 3UBM2 providing lethality against all known vehicles between 450 and 7,500m.

Secondary Armament:

- 7.62mm coaxial Machine Gun PKT, 3000 rounds;

- 14.5mm commander’s Machine Gun KPVT

Powerpack: VPK-3 Powerpack with Engine VDS-2330 and Transmission CD-1750; >1,500 horsepower; eight speeds.

Power to Weight Ratio: >30hp/ton (2000kg per ton)

Top Speed: 75 kph (governed)

Suspension: Torsion bar, six per side; shock absorbers on all.

Ground Clearance: 490mm

Fuel Capacity: 1,200 liters internal, 416 liters aux. drums

Operational Range: 460 km internal; 720km w/drums

The vehicle is also equipped with advanced digital computer systems for fire control and 1,200-1,600 FOM image intensifying tubes, details of the manufacturing processes of which will be discussed in our proper submission paper. 

The vehicle is also equipped with advanced encrypted radio equipment using the novel TSEC/KY-57 FEINSTEIN  unit, details of which will be discussed in the submission paper. 

Here is a larger version of the above image. 

unknown.png

3UBM2

unknown.png