Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

COMPETITION Steel Chariot of The Prairie: The Lone Free State's First Battle Tank (2247)

Sturgeon

3 hours ago, N-L-M said:

As I recall that armor array left much to be desired in terms of coverage, as the cassettes weren't properly overlapped.

There were coverage gaps due to the NERA cassette being poorly angled from an error in the optimization script. I was going to fix that for this competition, but I don't think it will cut the protection offered by all that much. Additionally, the weight with ERA was about 55 tons, which I think is pretty reasonable compared to its contemporaries. I also would like to point out that for this competition, I dramatically reduced the size of the underlying turret structure to reduce protected volume and thereby save weight, since the previous turret was almost comically over-large as a result of my relative lack of experience designing armored vehicles. I think the reduced mass efficiency of the fixed armor package design will likely soak up some of those weight savings, but I would need to actually go model it to check my weight budget, and as I previously stated, I no longer have an NX seat as of when I initially posted. I therefore am unable to actually submit an entry to this competition, so I'm rambling about what my plans were.

30 minutes ago, A. T. Mahan said:

There were coverage gaps due to the NERA cassette being poorly angled from an error in the optimization script. I was going to fix that for this competition, but I don't think it will cut the protection offered by all that much. Additionally, the weight with ERA was about 55 tons, which I think is pretty reasonable compared to its contemporaries. I also would like to point out that for this competition, I dramatically reduced the size of the underlying turret structure to reduce protected volume and thereby save weight, since the previous turret was almost comically over-large as a result of my relative lack of experience designing armored vehicles. I think the reduced mass efficiency of the fixed armor package design will likely soak up some of those weight savings, but I would need to actually go model it to check my weight budget, and as I previously stated, I no longer have an NX seat as of when I initially posted. I therefore am unable to actually submit an entry to this competition, so I'm rambling about what my plans were.

Would you be willing to post your armor mass?

41 minutes ago, delete013 said:

@Sturgeon Can I include fitments as pauschal of the steel construction? And what percentage?

No. Fitments are separate. I highly recommend doing the math as I showed, the judges will be checking your work that way. "Cheating" can only get you a worse grade (which I found out the hard way).

21 hours ago, delete013 said:

How accurate are the armour formulas? I chain one after another, according to my armour modules and the stats appear overly optimistic.

Second, have heavy ERA and NERA any specific definition?

The armor formulas are considered accurate according to the reality in the universe. However, the formulas can be a little tricky to use, so it's a good idea to post your math for others to double-check. I'm getting, for example, ~300mm with a single HNERA layer at 70 degrees from vertical.

HNERA is defined in the California solicitation. I omitted it from the Texas solicitation for reasons that aren't important right now.

On 6/18/2021 at 12:15 AM, Sturgeon said:

The armor formulas are considered accurate according to the reality in the universe. However, the formulas can be a little tricky to use, so it's a good idea to post your math for others to double-check. I'm getting, for example, ~300mm with a single HNERA layer at 70 degrees from vertical.

HNERA is defined in the California solicitation. I omitted it from the Texas solicitation for reasons that aren't important right now.

Ok, thanks.

4 hours ago, Dominus Dolorem said:

I would be careful if I were you my tanke ended up having an armor mass of over 70 tons prompting a redesign.

Why is 70 a limit?

The full name of this combat vehicle is: TCV-47 "Brahman" (Tracked Combat Vehicle)

muCmWNB.png

No, it's not done, i took a very long break; burned myself out. But since then, I have added commander's and loaders cupolas', vision slits, drivers hatch, turret roof applique, 12.4 tons of hull armor, and 7 tons of turret armor plus a 4.6 ton turret wedge a la Leopard 2A5. Still needs turret storage boxes, hull roof applique, and side skirts. Ammunition and velocity is going to be similar to that used on the M551 of yore, including a gun launched ATGM based on the BGM-71.