Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

COMPETITION Steel Chariot of The Prairie: The Lone Free State's First Battle Tank (2247)

Sturgeon

27 minutes ago, A. T. Mahan said:

I'd prefer June 15 or July 1 because I may have to switch CAD packages on very short notice. 

Ok we're setting June 1 provisional which is primarily because some guys have finals. But it's accepted that there will be an extension as needed.

23 hours ago, Sturgeon said:

Ok we're setting June 1 provisional which is primarily because some guys have finals. But it's accepted that there will be an extension as needed.

I would prefer one of the later dates. I’m a little busier lately. 

20 hours ago, Sturgeon said:

OK, it's encouraged for those with finals to be done by June, but the hard deadline will be later. June 15? Or do we need a July date?

I don’t have finals; I actually started a second part-time job, recently. But June 15 sounds fine: should give enough time for the judges to announce a winner on July 4th, a Texan’s favorite holiday! :lol:

3 hours ago, Lord_James said:

I don’t have finals; I actually started a second part-time job, recently. But June 15 sounds fine: should give enough time for the judges to announce a winner on July 4th, a Texan’s favorite holiday! :lol:

Yes but several people in the competition do have finals.

1 hour ago, Sturgeon said:

Based on the tech level I've outlined they could just make them without much trouble.

That's been my argument the last two competitions :lol:

My Cascadia entry even had a long, technical discussion on how you'd do it...

Brahman continues to develop! 

Q9RpvJC.png

Spoiler

9k7RCsc.png

Not an M109, I swear :ph34r:

Updates include: 

• Added gun mantlet armor box (no array yet) 
  • Lengthened the main gun barrel by 2 calibers (now an L/34, barrel length is the same as an 120mm L/44)
  • 20x102mm coaxial autocannon
  • Combined day/night gunners sight
  • added a 2.25 yard coincidence rangefinder
  • added a pair of whip antennas for the radio 
  • cut out holes for the turret blow off panels 

@Sturgeon @N-L-M @LoooSeR

Big question: for the protection requirements, penetration is when a projectile (or fragments there of) reaches the crew compartment specifically? Or any space after the external* armor packages? 

*external, insomuch as that internal armor relates to a bulkhead or firewall separating compartments like the engine and crew spaces. 

22 minutes ago, Lord_James said:

@Sturgeon @N-L-M @LoooSeR

Big question: for the protection requirements, penetration is when a projectile (or fragments there of) reaches the crew compartment specifically? Or any space after the external* armor packages? 

*external, insomuch as that internal armor relates to a bulkhead or firewall separating compartments like the engine and crew spaces. 

"Protection" means that at least one atom of formerly-tank vapor must survive.

On 5/25/2021 at 8:15 PM, N-L-M said:

What parts of your tank are protected against what threat is up to you to decide, but typically accepted definitions are either that the combat capability of the tank is protected or that the crew are.

I'm actually interested in this.

For example, if a round penetrates the crew comptartment, but to immediately get absorbed by something non essential, do we consider that simply entering the crew compartment generate enough spall? And if so, what kind of spall cone can we expect?