Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Syrian conflict.

LoooSeR

I found an interesting, peripherally related article at Asia Times here.  I hope LoooSeR does not mind if I make this slight detour in his thread.

The Syrian war is complicated, but a large part of the current fiasco was caused by the emergence of a power vacuum in Iraq.  Gary Brecher's War Nerd articles had long wondered out loud if Dick Cheney is actually some sort of Iranian mole; warping American foreign policy in such a way to further Iranian regional ambition.

The article is very suggestive that the Iranians (or their agents) had their fingers in the Iraq pie from a very early period, with the complete approval and support of substantial portions of the US government.  It would have been unthinkable ten years ago, but now much of the Middle East is caught in proxy wars between the Sunni Gulf Arabs and the Shiite Iranians.  Scott Locklin suggested that Georgian interests had completely undue influence in Washington DC, with nearly disastrous results in 2008 (nearly disastrous for the USA; obviously it was am unmitigated disaster for the Georgians).

And now in Syria we see US policy being pulled in a dozen different directions at once.  How much pull does the FSA have in Washington DC?  Who are their lobbyists?  Ditto Turkey, the Gulf Arabs, et plurima cetera.  If the NSA and FBI don't have lists of names, then the entire situation is hopelessly far gone.

Some years ago, during the height of the Arab Spring uprisings and demonstrations, I was working with a start-up firearms company in the USA.  The owner mentioned that he was pursuing a contract from an undisclosed US government agency for a large number of AR-15 type rifles, assembled from commercial-off-the-shelf components at as low a price as possible, to be assembled on receivers with no serial numbers.

I wonder sometimes who ended up getting that contract, and where all those rifles ended up going.

Militant rebel Muhammed Abd Al Hameed Akush from Hella village was killed in Southern Aleppo clashes 

NSFW

CT8sO1OWcAAqWYQ.png

Militant rebel of 'Fatah Halab group' Alaa Al Halabi was killed in Aleppo attack on Family House Amusements 

NSFW

CT8l-AMWEAAQnkX.png

Militant rebel of 'Fatah Halab group' Fuwaz Ahmed Al Musa was killed in Aleppo

NSFW

CT8j0MdWUAASsw4.png

Colli, i did a translation of Mikhail Leontiev commentary about Iranian influence in Iraq about 2 or 3 years ago in previous reincarnation of T110 thread. He basically said that US politicians left Iraq to be sort-of managed by Iran and everything US done in Iraq was to Iran benefit. He think that it was done so Iran will be left as a regional "supervisor" after US will get out of ME. 

Well, because this was touched in this thread, here is news from Iraq about Iraqis and Kurdish clashes.

A truce has been declared between Kurds & Shia Militias in Tuz Khurmato, after officials met. Though situation is tense & skirmishes occur.
#Iraq A new agreement has been reached to end conflict between #Peshmerga and #HashdShaabi in #TuzKhormato

CT93XSLUAAAhlNR.jpg

Colli, i did a translation of Mikhail Leontiev commentary about Iranian influence in Iraq about 2 or 3 years ago in previous reincarnation of T110 thread. He basically said that US politicians left Iraq to be sort-of managed by Iran and everything US done in Iraq was to Iran benefit. He think that it was done so Iran will be left as a regional "supervisor" after US will get out of ME. 

That may well be what ends up happening.  His critical mistake is assuming that US politicians have any sort of plan.

http://www.almasdarnews.com/article/hezbollah-determined-to-reach-al-fouaa-and-kafraya-in-idlib-17km-to-go/

Hezbollah Determined to Reach Al-Fou’aa and Kafraya in Idlib: 17km to go

Two months ago, Hezbollah was engaged in a violent offensive to capture the imperative resort-city of Al-Zabadani; however, an abrupt 6 month long ceasefire agreement between all of the parties involved put an end to the Lebanese Resistance’s offensive in rural Damascus.

Instead of sitting idly, Hezbollah answered the call to assist the Syrian Arab Army (SAA) and the National Defense Forces (NDF) that were combatting the Islamist rebels and the Islamic State of Iraq and Al-Sham (ISIS) all over the Aleppo Governorate’s rugged terrain.

In early October, Hezbollah – in coordination with the Syrian Arab Army’s 4th Mechanized Division, Harakat Al-Nujaba (Iraqi paramilitary), Kata’eb Hezbollah (Iraqi paramilitary), the Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC), and several other groups – launched an offensive in southern Aleppo, capturing a significant amount of ground in only 40 days.

Hezbollah has proven to be extremely effective against the Islamist rebel groups in southern Aleppo, seizing the strategic towns of Tal Al-Eiss, Abtayn, and Al-Hadher in such an impressive manner that most pro-government sources even doubted the news of their success because it seemed too good to be true.

However, most underestimate Hezbollah’s military capabilities and their overall effectiveness against the groups like the Syrian Al-Qaeda group “Jabhat Al-Nusra” and ISIS; these two Islamist groups have been a thorn in the Syrian Government’s side.

So, why have they chosen to fight in southern Aleppo? It is the same answer across the board for the other pro-government groups participating in this offensive: Al-Fou’aa and Kafraya in the Idlib Governorate.

The ultimate goal for Hezbollah and their allies is to capture the territory leading to the predominately Shi’i towns of Kafraya and Al-Fou’aa; and by doing so, they will no longer be at the mercy of the Islamist rebels that use these two towns to threaten the pro-government forces with an attack on the civilian populous.

As of now, Hezbollah and their allies are approximately 17km away from Al-Fou’aa and only 11km from the Islamist rebel stronghold of Taftanaz; if the aforementioned town is captured, the Islamist rebel groups will be in serious trouble.

If the Islamist groups like Jabhat Al-Nusra, Harakat Ahrar Al-Sham, and Harakat Nouriddeen Al-Zinki continue to underestimare Hezbollah’s fighting prowess – they will be in for a surprise if they are unable to stop the Lebanese Resistance’s rapid progress.