Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Post Election Thread: Democracy Dies In Darkness And You Can Help

T___A

21 minutes ago, Collimatrix said:

Sessions announces end of DACA program.

I'm surprised that this happened this quickly.  Trump doesn't stop attacking.

Edit: to be clear, the six-month window gives a fair amount of time for further developments, and Trump may use this as a bargaining chip.  We'll have to see.

Six months might be intentional due to mid term elections.

14 minutes ago, Ramlaen said:

Six months might be intentional due to mid term elections.

That's my gut feeling too.  I don't think this is about Trump trolling the Democrats by trampling on his legacy like Diogenes messing up Plato's rug.  It is that too, but the primary goal is likely to force Republican congressmen to either get on board with his agenda or face the wrath of their constituents just before an election.

For the record, this is ugly.  Trump is potentially forcing people to leave a country that is likely the only home they ever knew because their parents didn't go through the correct bureaucratic channels (which are a giant mess).  DACA was available for people under 16 only at time of arrival.  The statement from the White House even acknowledges this, albeit briefly.

Naturally, this is being couched in the language of due process and respect for the law and Constitution.  Fuck that noise; Dubya had it right.  The Constitution is just a goddamn piece of paper.  This is about slowing down or stopping immigration because most immigrants don't vote R and because the people who do vote R don't want them in the USA.  It's as simple as trying to reduce the number of new citizens who won't vote for your party.  The Democrats do it too, like when Obama abruptly changed the policy on Cuban immigrants.  I'm sure the fact that Cubans voted for Trump in unexpected numbers, and the fact that Obama was a petty manlet were both coincidences and had nothing to do with the decision.  If you go back a generation, the Democrats were against letting refugees from the Vietnam War in because they knew which side their bread was buttered on.  Also, because a lot of them were actually Communists and actually thought of the refugees as counterrevolutionary bourgeoisie scum.

So this is business as usual.  In a democracy people are just pawns, and adjusting future demographics is just part of the game.

What is surprising then, is how aggressively and how effectively Trump is playing this game.

8 minutes ago, Sturgeon said:

Yes, it is ugly, but it's been ugly. As you point out. What's new is that the Republicans Trump, wearing the skin of the Republican Party and fixing to have the rest of the party fed to lions in sports stadia across the nation, is playing hardball.

FIFY