Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

I'm surprised at the lack of fumes visible from the open breech in that video - normally even a vehicle with a dirty fume extractor will have noticeable amounts of smoke coming back into the tank

Mild overpressure generated by NBC system is my guess.

Conscripts can break anything. Even a bulldozer blade on T-15. 

That's like the people I knew who'd mount a snowplow on their truck, then think it's also a 'dozer.

No. It's not. A snowplow does not magically grant your truck with the power of a D9 Cat..

That's why your frame is now bent..

Ooh, a hexagonal radar array?

Actually, it also might be IR light projector/spotlight/light, as some comrades pointed out in Otvaga forum. That photo shows product from one company, that work on lights. 

Comedy time! 

That article Walter posted in his blog.

http://nationalinterest.org/feature/russias-mighty-t-14-armata-tank-should-america-be-worried-12999

I can't read it without either facepalm hard or laughing hysterically. You also can read it, just "to uplift your mood".

I thought the article had a few interesting points but also some stuff where the author was a bit off base.  I really doubt the Merkava had any influence on the T-14 design at all.  Some days I find better stuff to post than others....

Comedy time! 

That article Walter posted in his blog.

http://nationalinterest.org/feature/russias-mighty-t-14-armata-tank-should-america-be-worried-12999

I can't read it without either facepalm hard or laughing hysterically. You also can read it, just "to uplift your mood".

Got to agree with LoooSeR; that article was pretty bad, especially considering that this was an article for a serious quarterly journal.  I could have written something better.

I counted the following bizarre mistakes:

1) T-14 is based Merkava.  WTF?  Aside from the fact that they're tanks, what exactly is supposed to be similar?  Merkava has, uniquely for a modern MBT, the engine and transmission in the front, and coil spring suspension.  T-14 has the engine and transmission in the back and torsion bar suspension like nearly every other MBT.  T-14 also has, uniquely, the entire crew in the hull and an unmanned turret.

2)  T-14 has "modern armor" whereas earlier Russian tank did not.  Again, WTF?  Is this author unaware that the flat pieces of metal on T-14's turret are just sheet metal?  The shape had been cited on various places on the internet as evidence of chobbham-esque armor, but for a serious publication the author should know better.  Also, is the author under the impression that the T-90 did not feature "modern armor?"  It clearly has NERA in the turret inserts, same as every other contemporary MBT design!  What is this, the early 1970s when we still didn't know that the T-64 and on had composite armor!?

3)  T-80 based heavily on T-72.  Kharkovites everywhere shriek with rage.

4)  Breakdowns of the T-14 indicate general poor build quality that can be achieved by Russian industry.  Riiiight.  Does this author not realize how stressed the transmission of a tank is?  Problems with the drivetrain are almost routine in tank development.  The list of MBT designs that have had issues with their transmissions that had to be ironed out either in early service or development includes:

-M1 Abrams

-Chieftain

-Arjun

-K2

-AMX-30

5)  The PAK-FA appeared to be a better, cheaper F-22?  WTF is this guy smoking?  Please tell me how the rear-quarter RCS of the PAK-FA is anywhere near that of the F-22.  Hell, tell me how the frontal RCS is anywhere near as small!  Sukhoi certainly does not claim that it is!  Please tell me how the engines in the PAK-FA are anywhere close to the P&W F119.  NPO Saturn certainly does not claim that they are!

6)  "Arsenal of Autocracy" needs to be a metal band.

I thought the article had a few interesting points but also some stuff where the author was a bit off base.  I really doubt the Merkava had any influence on the T-14 design at all.  Some days I find better stuff to post than others....

No questions to you, Walter, it is pretty hard to find good article on Armata-based vehicles even here, and i don't talk about Western medias.

jOi3Y.jpg

Bottom of the Kurganets is little bit v-shaped. Also, some side modules have bottom plates removed. 

C8ki4.jpg

Laser sensors are mounted on turret sides, behind ATGMs.

lwmrf.jpg

qKIFH.jpg

Kurganets APC with HMG removed.

FC7IK.jpg

zGTWU.jpg

Door. I think something could be placed between external and internal metal plates, like kevlar or similar. Note that no infantry seats are installed.

SPEgw.jpg

wA8ld.jpg

Kurganets B-11 chassis use 560 mm rollers.

LFSvW.jpg

5bq1g.jpg

VlNBZ.jpg

GoR7c.jpg

IFV, same stary as with APC - no seats. 

ZD7Ml.jpg