Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The Small Arms Thread, Part 8: 2018; ICSR to be replaced by US Army with interim 15mm Revolver Cannon.

Khand-e

The article consists simply of Nathaniel's email address, where he will personally answer every "How I CMP And Get Free 1911 And Garand????" with a thoughtful and unique 1,000 word rejoinder, individual tracking down the names and contact information from CMP clubs and their officers in each of the states along with offering a letter of introduction.

You know, I just offered to do that for that one guy, and I got like twenty emails... ;)

OH OH, is it time to reap the tears of SIG fanboys who can't possibly admit that Glock isn't the pistol Antichrist?

Let's find out!

I like Sig's in every way better than Glocks in my admittedly limited experience. In every way but one. It's tough to reconcile a Sig being something like $600-$750 more than Glocks in many incarnations. For the difference you can buy at least four M1895 Nagant revolvers which - did you know - can be suppressed!

What? Yeah I used the same Nagant revolver joke. I'll do it again too! You're not my real dad!

The comments aren't quite as whiny as I first hoped, but people bitching about the trigger of the Glock while Praising the 10 pound double action mode trigger of the P226 are a very funny breed.

Clearly only the first shot matters where the P226 wins out by all of 1 pound!

I like Sig's in every way better than Glocks in my admittedly limited experience. In every way but one. It's tough to reconcile a Sig being something like $600-$750 more than Glocks in many incarnations. For the difference you can buy at least four M1895 Nagant revolvers which - did you know - can be suppressed!

What? Yeah I used the same Nagant revolver joke. I'll do it again too! You're not my real dad!

Actually, we secretly did a paternity test, Meplat the VI is infact your real dad.

If only that joke could be suppressed.

...like an M1895 Nagant revolver.

You know, I just offered to do that for that one guy, and I got like twenty emails... ;)

With the way the comments are beginning out yet again, I'm not sure if I want someone who can't even figure out how to join the CMP owning a 1911 or a Garand. They're the type who would try to JB weld a tactical scope to the top of a Garand's bolt anyway.

Steve asked me to worth this weekend on finding out what the likely prices for the CMP M1911s will be, but the General Manager for the Alabama location is apparently out of the office until Monday. So I am hoping that I can get Light Rifle IV put up in its place for tomorrow, but it'll be a bit of a rush.

FUCK, you got the rifle Alex?

Seriously, can we talk about this down the line? the only reason I didn't bid was because my wife convinced me to 1. stop stressing out so much and 2. try not to spend so much on anything right now because my surgery is in 3 days.

It has a wooden stock.  Donward will like it.

Chey-Tac has new AP bullets for .408.

I find it kind of odd how it took anyone this long to make AP rounds for the .408 Cheytac considering what it was designed for.

Then again, I always wondered how such rounds would perform vs .50 BMG AP/API and lighter long range sniper rifle calibers such as .300 Winchester Magnum and .338 Lapua magnum, I guess I have my answer.

Seriously, can we talk about this down the line? the only reason I didn't bid was because my wife convinced me to 1. stop stressing out so much and 2. try not to spend so much on anything right now because my surgery is in 3 days.

Good luck with that.

My last surgery was when i was 11 yars old and they told me in the last moment, lol. 

Also, i don't know where to post this:

98fyft.jpg

110kqh1.jpg

wjc1fo.jpg

Oplot-MO Active Protection System. A very small amount of information about this thing can be found here, in the article about Soviet R&D in the area of tank protection. It is basically a "Gatling" gun/minigun with radar that was to be used as APS and commander's HMG.

I will post rest of it in Soviet tanks thread, as it is part of tank protection, i guess.

Absolutely. It's in good hands until you want to talk about it.

In case y'all were wondering why it's hard for me to take some Vietnam vets too seriously...

Once upon a time, I worked for a guy we'll call "Ken", because that was his name.

Ken was a real character, and I don't necessarily mean that in a good way. He had a very active fantasy life which he tried to share with the rest of the world.

In Ken's fantasy life, he was an SF sniper in Vietnam. He claimed that when "his sergeant" tried to take his beloved M-14 away and replace it with one of those cheap Mattel toys, Ken threatened to kill him, and was allowed to keep his M-14. (Which is an odd action for an eleven-year-old, that being about Ken's age when the M-14 was replaced in front line units.) Needless to say, Ken's unit was wiped out, leaving him the sole survivor, not once, but twice. And both times when he rolled all the bodies of his buddies over, they all had a jammed M-16 with a cleaning rod stuck down the barrel in their hands.

Ken's grandpa was an even bigger hero, having served in the USN during WWII, winning the Medal of Honor three times, and having three aircraft carriers sunk out from underneath him.

Needless to say, one of the most important tasks of myself and the other employees at the shop was to keep the owner from interacting in any way with the customers, lest he entertain them with his tales of imaginary derring-do in a fantasy Saigon, where he was apparently all the time stabbing pimps to death with his Gerber for vaguely-defined reasons.

Alright guys, I turned up some pretty exciting stuff on Soviet assault rifles recently (thanks in part to Daniel's guidance on what book to choose, but a lot of internet sources helped, too). But first, let's have a quick laugh at some hoch logic:

How could a young, inexperienced and marginally educated country fellow who up to the point had produced exactly zero of substance all of a sudden create one of the most awesome firearm classics of the 20th century and fine tune it into functional and technological perfection that stood the test of time? As far as Im concerned the answer is simple: he couldnt and he didnt. 

With that out of the way, I recently learned that the talented designers of the Soviet Union during or immediately after World War II produced not one, not two, not three, but NINE distinct assault rifle designs which underwent testing. An article describing to some degree these rifles will go up Wednesday morning; I cranked it out as quickly as I could. 

Here is a forum page/post thingie with some photos of prototype Russian assault rifles (some from WWII and some after). 

Here is... I dunno what it is, but it was useful.