Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Post Election Thread: Democracy Dies In Darkness And You Can Help

T___A

51 minutes ago, Donward said:

So I'm guessing Texas, Arizona and Utah numbers dropping for Trump are the result of the now deceased #NEVERTRUMP movement. 

At least Utah with all them Mormons who voted McMuffin. Arizona & Texas may be due to a higher Mexican-American turnout for the dems with ID politics based messaging. 

You all know how I feel about Trump, but I have to give him credit, he managed to finally say something honest.  In fact, it's a truth that no other US president has ever had the courage to utter in public before.  

"There are a lot of killers. We've got a lot of killers. What, you think our country is so innocent?"

And now we watch as Washington all pretends to be shocked by such an obviously true statement!

Sorry Walter. Looks like Amway Queen Betsy Devos squeaked in with VP Pence casting the tie-breaking vote in the Senate for her confirmation.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/02/07/us/politics/betsy-devos-education-secretary-confirmed.html

This of course sets up a storyline where Devos is secretly part of COBRA (which Amway is portrayed as in the comics) as both Walter and I know with Devos leading a coup against the government.

46 minutes ago, Donward said:

Sorry Walter. Looks like Amway Queen Betsy Devos squeaked in with VP Pence casting the tie-breaking vote in the Senate for her confirmation.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/02/07/us/politics/betsy-devos-education-secretary-confirmed.html

This of course sets up a storyline where Devos is secretly part of COBRA (which Amway is portrayed as in the comics) as both Walter and I know with Devos leading a coup against the government.

Yes, I expected this.  One thing I was not aware of, the Dept of Ed is actually younger than me, having been formed by Carter in 1980.  Hopefully whatever damage she does to our private schools will be limited since schools are primarily a state level concern.  Her main strategy here in Michigan is to push for vouchers and charter schools.  As far as I understand it, these programs have had mixed to poor results in improving education statewide (although I am not sure I trust how they measure such things.)  Honestly, my biggest issue with her is not her policies but rather the fact that she is obscenely wealthy and uses her money to gain political power.  This is the kind of crony politics that a lot of working people on both the right and the left despise.  Drain the swamp indeed...

Perhaps we need a 21st century version of civil service reform.  Down with the spoils system! 

Davos is nowhere near my favorite Cabinet pick nor would I have shed tears if she wasn't confirmed.

Another pick which is in trouble is Neo-con and Iran-Contra henchman Elliott Abrams who might be scuttled in committee if Rand Paul has anything to say about it.

http://rare.us/rare-politics/rand-paul-do-not-let-elliott-abrams-anywhere-near-the-state-department/

Sturgeon is right in that you can't hurt Trump with facts. What he wants is attention.  Trump is not a politician.  Nor does he represent a platform.  He is a brand.  He is selling an image and a mindset.  The more attention he gets, the more he sells.  He is kind of like the Monster Energy drink of politics.  Deep down, everyone knows it's just some shitty soda pop that is bad for you, but yet everyone keeps wearing the hats and putting the stickers on their car.