Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Post Election Thread: Democracy Dies In Darkness And You Can Help

T___A

7 hours ago, Sturgeon said:

So the Day Without Immigrants protest apparently backfired horribly and a bunch of people got fired.

Who could have seen this coming? I ask entirely seriously and without hint of sarcasm.

Going on strike when people can't find jobs due to the labour supply being much greater than the labour demand is useless as someone else will be happy to take your job. The greater irony is that those same illegal immigrants are causing the greater labour supply, making strikes nearly impossible to successfully pull off.

And thus ended the brief fucks we were supposed to give about Milo Yackoffinasock (or however you spell his last name).

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/02/trump-cpac-milo-yiannopoulos-tape-235204

Milo Yiannopoulos disinvited from CPAC amid tape controversy

Milo Yiannopoulos lost his keynote speaking slot at the Conservative Political Action Conference after tapes surfaced of the right wing provocateur and senior Breitbart editor advocating for sexual relationships between “younger boys and older men.”

33 minutes ago, Donward said:

And thus ended the brief fucks we were supposed to give about Milo Yackoffinasock (or however you spell his last name).

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/02/trump-cpac-milo-yiannopoulos-tape-235204

Milo Yiannopoulos disinvited from CPAC amid tape controversy

Milo Yiannopoulos lost his keynote speaking slot at the Conservative Political Action Conference after tapes surfaced of the right wing provocateur and senior Breitbart editor advocating for sexual relationships between “younger boys and older men.”

Advocating for traditions of his Greek heritage I see

Nah. This is the high water mark of Milo's career. Everything else will just be the inevitable decline of a C-List political celebrity who will ratchet up his schtick of engaging in increasingly more inflammatory language and behavior in order to stay relevant. He'll become the political equivalent of Carrot Top or Chris Elliott before fading into obscurity.

As you can guess, I have always been suspicious of how this Milo character has been foisted off onto the conservative body politic. Literally NO ONE had ever heard of this moron until a couple months ago. I was speaking with a couple of my buddies who between the three of us have something like 70 years of political experience and none of us had ever read an article that Milo penned or listened to a podcast or looked at a Tweet of his until after this nonsense with the riots on college campuses started up.

And even then, the behavior of Conservatives was more curiosity and protection of free speech rather than showing any agreement with what this idiot spouted. Ultimately, he is a creature that the Left has foisted off onto the political stage. If Milo didn't exist, he'd be invented for the purpose of protesters to riot because their FEELZ have been hurt by what some irrelevant troll has said on the Internet.

McMaster is fairly settled within the norm of Washington FP, if this little piece of his in the WSJ is any indication. There's little I could find else written by him or reporting about his world views, in contrast to Flynn, so I'll be optimistic about this pick especially when it comes to military strategies. I'm just happy that Bolton and Elliot Abrams have been denied positions in Trump's administration. 

2 hours ago, Donward said:

Nah. This is the high water mark of Milo's career.

I've seen no indication of that. I think you don't like what he's selling, and so you're assuming nobody else does. Like Milo or not, people are fans of him. They want someone to get up there and say the things he says.

3 minutes ago, Sturgeon said:

I've seen no indication of that. I think you don't like what he's selling, and so you're assuming nobody else does. Like Milo or not, people are fans of him. They want someone to get up there and say the things he says.

Evidence:

C5Fcf8lUkAAma7S.jpg

In my opinion, Milo falls into a category of British (pseudo)intellectuals who come to America where they can convince people of BS because they have an accent. Very reminiscent of the Duke and Dauphin characters in Huckleberry Finn. 

1 minute ago, Priory_of_Sion said:

In my opinion, Milo falls into a category of British (pseudo)intellectuals who come to America where they can convince people of BS because they have an accent. Very reminiscent of the Duke and Dauphin characters in Huckleberry Finn. 

Yes, I agree. It's a problem, look at all the YouTubers who made their careers on their accent (Sargon is one, although he is perhaps more of an "amateur intellectual" than a true "pseudointellectual"). And then you have, like, Harmful, who takes it to ludicrous levels.

But I don't see this being the end of the Milo's career. He's said worse before.

7 minutes ago, Sturgeon said:

Yes, I agree. It's a problem, look at all the YouTubers who made their careers on their accent (Sargon is one, although he is perhaps more of an "amateur intellectual" than a true "pseudointellectual"). And then you have, like, Harmful, who takes it to ludicrous levels.

But I don't see this being the end of the Milo's career. He's said worse before.

Agreed. It also bleeds into other realms of politics outside of anti-SJW internet celebrities such as think tankers who aid in funding of Salafists in Syria. 

It's just a phenomena that really annoys me. 

28 minutes ago, Jeeps_Guns_Tanks said:

It's a shame because his message about the left no longer believing in free speach and their use of violence needs to be heard.

There's better free speech advocate groups. Like FIRE for example. 

Also this

It’s clear that existing hate speech laws are inadequate for the social media era. And if we decide, as we perhaps might, that a lifetime ban on the internet is unworkable and disproportionately punitive, given the centrality of the internet to our professional and personal lives these days, what on earth are we to do? No one has yet offered a convincing answer. In the meantime, we are all, bit by bit, growing ever more fearful of the next wave of molestation.