Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Kimchi armoured vehicles: K1, K2, K21 and other AFVs from Worse Korea

Zadlo

8 hours ago, Serge said:

About the K2 ME seen at IDEX-2023.

https://blablachars.blogspot.com/2023/02/le-k2-entre-les-emirats-et-la-pologne.html?m=1

Fpe5VFWXsAQzJXa?format=jpg&name=large

in French. In a nutshell :

- everybody is talking about the Leopard-2 but K2 is doing its job ;

- Middle-East Export variant ;

- consortium between PGZ and Hyundai Rotem. 

I ask myself : did Hyundai cancel the long chassis variant ?

As far as I am aware the 7 wheeled chassis variant is still "around" but it's hard to say what the case may be for the lack of the larger, heavier version, being the K2M/PL, being absent from most of the recent marketing but could just be the case of since the design was initially intended for Poland's needs, now that it's been all but confirmed to be left to the wayside in it's "home" country it's more pertinent to market a design that is not only less radical of a change but also potentially easier to market to other countries. 

NZIZGRQ.jpg

2cowk2B.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The 28th Infantry Division participating in the Freedom Shield 2 Exercise had it's K9s, K55A1s, and K10s (along with other vehicles) traverse a shallow river near Buksam Bridge, Yeoncheon-gun, Gyeonggi-do. Other vehicles such as the K221, K1 ARV, and M48A5K were present but other than some footage showing them in the background, no photos I've seen were taken of them.

0bimTro.jpg

Spoiler

hwy8tzF.jpg

bOVAfzs.jpg

JlUx5LQ.jpg

jRW906X.jpg

jOJziIe.jpg

VHb9zBw.jpg

J3VCyV6.jpg

ROKMC and USMC joint amphibious landing training carried out along the coastline of Pohang.

These photos show the KAAV-7A1 with the manned combined 40/50 turret as well as the KAAV-7A1s with the RCWS which has become more common in recent years. You can also see the relatively rare ROKMC K1A2s unloaded from LSTs as well.

KAAV-7A1

21QfvhS.jpg

Spoiler

A15XNft.jpg

ntudlHf.jpg

TBJmM9A.jpg

lMXw12f.jpg

4WytD4T.jpg

K1A2

c1EQgG9.jpg

Spoiler

vcoNIUl.jpg

sH62wW0.jpg

EPA9mtd.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, LoooSeR said:

Rear radars intergration looks goofy.

Most likely a placeholder “design” (if I can even dare to say something like that. It’s basically just the radar face’s shapes placed along the rear aspect.). My guess is no practical design has been mocked up or prototyped, just this proof of concept.

9 hours ago, Cleb said:

Most likely a placeholder “design” (if I can even dare to say something like that. It’s basically just the radar face’s shapes placed along the rear aspect.). My guess is no practical design has been mocked up or prototyped, just this proof of concept.

Yeah, i thought that this was just "we can slap this thing on a tank". APS is a must at this point. I even can say that current models are starting to get outdated because of FPV drones.

• 3 weeks later...

A 25 minute documentary on the joint training exercise that the US and South Korea had during the Warrior Shield FTX exercises held earlier this year. 

The Korean Division shown was that of the Capital Mechanized Infantry Division and it's K1A2s of the 81st Tank Battalion and K9A1s of the 61st Artillery Battalion.

On 4/25/2023 at 3:26 AM, LoooSeR said:

Yeah, i thought that this was just "we can slap this thing on a tank". APS is a must at this point. I even can say that current models are starting to get outdated because of FPV drones.

Next gen tank protection needs HEMP and some serious electrical systems. I'd imagine that the Israelis and Koreans have some thoughts right now.