Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Kimchi armoured vehicles: K1, K2, K21 and other AFVs from Worse Korea

Zadlo

2 hours ago, Clan_Ghost_Bear said:

Why is there an American flag on the K9/K10 placard?

Unclear though I almost want to suspect it has to do something with the interest that Hanwha Defense USA had in participating in the ERCA program with the desire to demonstrate the K9 at Yuma Proving Grounds.

https://insidedefense.com/daily-news/hanwha-seeks-participate-army-howitzer-programs

"Hanwha Defense, a South Korean company that opened its American division in 2018, hopes to demonstrate and offer its technology to the U.S. Army for the Extended Range Cannon Artillery and other self-propelled howitzer programs, according to John Kelly, the president of Hanwha Defense USA."

https://www.defensenews.com/industry/2021/12/13/australia-buys-k9-howitzers-from-south-koreas-hanwha-defense/

"With the advanced K9 technologies, including an autoloader, Hanwha Defense is also looking to participate in the U.S. Army’s Extended Range Cannon Artillery program. The company plans to take the K9 artillery to Yuma Proving Ground, Arizona, to demonstrate its performance and compatibility with American munitions."

Some more stuff from MSPO 2022. Nothing new but it's good to get more angles of what we've already seen in the past.

Hanwha Defense 

Spoiler

Biho II

zekoeVw.jpg

uDB9hRo.jpg

AS21 Redback

CYEuXg4.jpg

oXbWpu4.jpg

K9 and K10

LDypauq.jpg

ZLZSnmT.jpg

Mw9f9lJ.jpg

xo9O5PR.jpg

Hyundai Rotem

Spoiler

Next Generation Wheeled Armored Vehicle

exbR50f.jpg

Next Generation Main Battle Tank

84cATV0.jpg

K2NO

ys1Cnf8.jpg

11 hours ago, Cleb said:

Some more stuff from MSPO 2022. Nothing new but it's good to get more angles of what we've already seen in the past.

Hanwha Defense 

Reveal hidden contents

Biho II

zekoeVw.jpg

uDB9hRo.jpg

AS21 Redback

CYEuXg4.jpg

oXbWpu4.jpg

K9 and K10

LDypauq.jpg

ZLZSnmT.jpg

Mw9f9lJ.jpg

xo9O5PR.jpg

Hyundai Rotem

Reveal hidden contents

Next Generation Wheeled Armored Vehicle

exbR50f.jpg

Next Generation Main Battle Tank

84cATV0.jpg

K2NO

ys1Cnf8.jpg

That's a large drone launcher

DX Korea 2022 is currently happening here are some photos.

K2 and variants

Spoiler

SmiFoI3.jpg

R5NRgQa.jpg

K2NO minus APS and RWS

Spoiler

H3Mq8Ju.jpg

XBSisd3.jpg

A new K2 model based off of the K2NO which seems to be aimed at the ME market given the choice of paint

Spoiler

ix0s7l3.jpg

dItHV3t.jpg

K2PL model

Spoiler

3Qt8SLM.jpg

lx4cQmz.jpg

AS21 and variants

Spoiler

j5t0t4L.jpg

Te6r8WC.jpg

K-NIFV 

Spoiler

U5p8Wiq.jpg

QcjaTuT.jpg

OV3hP27.jpg

Other AS21 based AFVs

Spoiler

m8h85Ki.jpg

rV81Sxa.jpg

K808 and variant

Spoiler

K808 with RWS and Iron Fist

Spoiler

kBsubUS.jpg

FKxSyJL.jpg

EEYmN1Y.jpg

K808 FSV

Spoiler

ls2ujDG.jpg

v4KNo7j.jpg

KLTV with 120mm mortar system

Spoiler

SPVsTcc.jpg

1AASmqB.jpg

JgpDyPr.jpg

3uVHK9G.jpg

The K9A1 and K10 have made their way to Yuma.

In mid-September a K9A1 & K10 were demonstrated at Yuma Proving Grounds for interoperability and ammunition testing which this demonstration had the K9A1 fire the M795 as well as the XM1113. The K10 also was used to demonstrate the compatibility of loading US ammunition.

More can be read here: https://www.army.mil/article/260877

OGoaq09.jpg

Spoiler

XMbH1xN.jpg

LJAhtPv.jpg

OOJDZtM.jpg

dEHb2mJ.jpg

Another update re the Norwegian MBT project:

Apparently, South Korea is also offering to divert 24 tanks from their own production line, which means that the deliveries can start as early as 6-8 months after the contract is signed. Not sure if those would be K2NOs or more or less standard South Korean Army K2s that will have be converted at a later stage.

https://forsvaretsforum.no/haeren-materiell-sor-korea/sor-korea-tilbyr-a-sende-egne-stridsvogner-til-norge/287778

Kind of sort of a Korean tank but also not really. The Chieftain posted a few pictures this past weekend of an interesting proposal by AAI to the South Koreans for the ROKIT program. As with everything AAI there's nothing online that I could find outside of what The Chieftain posted so I'm not sure of any details beyond what his Facebook post says. I'll keep looking for info but I'm doubtful I'll find anything online.

Facebook post text:

Spoiler

"As is well known, in the late 1970s, Hyundai of Korea sought outside assistance in the development of what would become the Type-88 tank, now commonly known as K1. Back then, it was ROKIT: Republic of Korea Indigenous Tank. Germany chucked a Leopard-derived design at the requirement, and Chrysler a sort of mini-Abrams which of course ended up getting selected. Less well known is the proposal that AAI threw at it in 1978 (with the stipulation that Hyundai not release the plans for three years).
The end result was a 36-ton vehicle, four-man crew, 800hp Detroit Diesel 12V71TA engine coupled with an Allison transmission (compartment also sized for Leopard's ZF transmission) to give 60km/h. Though an AVCO 750 800hp turbine was considered as the second choice engine, the auxiliary power generator was going to be a 10kW gas turbine. 
105mm M68 gun with 60 rounds of which 48 was in compartmentalised bustle stowage, 12 elsewhere in the vehicle. Armor protection was to be against then-known steel 115mm APFSDS rounds (with an option, at a ton, of upgrading against future 115mm steel rounds). Terrain required 15 degrees depression. Torsion bar suspension. Note the IR spotlight, not thermals. In common with the M1 of the time, the TC's gun was an M85. Acknowledging that it was a cramped turret, AAI developed a semi-autoloader and case ejector, claiming 3-seconds to load. Ammo would be loaded into the rack through doors in the rear of the turret.
Unit cost was to be about $700,000, which is interesting when one realises that Abrams unit cost was mandated by Congress to be just $507,000 of the dollars at the time. Score one for economies of scale.
If anyone has better photos than got sent to me, I'd be very curious to see them."

mFIYNqP.jpg

Spoiler

Yf0K7Rh.jpg

jHxhLNP.jpg

vCPgX2L.jpg

aQQ85zr.jpg

5V8FY0h.jpg

ecybWJq.png

YBo226b.png

kmzTYRK.png

7s6GBXi.png

Lo4DFSE.jpg