Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Kimchi armoured vehicles: K1, K2, K21 and other AFVs from Worse Korea

Zadlo

Just like how Leo 2A7NO is going to differ from the Leo 2A7V that are currently in Norway, the two K2s are also not identical to what they're actually proposing:

tu7oui0lpue81.jpg

This looks like the same enchanced armour package that we've seen on K2PL & K2M models, but unlike those two, there's a standard K2 under it (6 vs 7 roadwheels).

41 minutes ago, Laviduce said:

How about an Egyptian version of the K2 ? Are there still negotiations going on ?

I honestly have no idea. It was a footnote during EDEX 2021 when the news was made about a supposed deal for the K2, very much overshadowed by the K9 deal. But I haven't seen any follow up on it from official sources or secondary sources since. I guess time will tell.

6 hours ago, Gun Ready said:

Any news from the Norwegian trial?

Nope, sorry, but it’s only been a couple of days since the trials began, and they will last until the end of the month. If nothing else, I expect that we'll at least get some more footage once the firepower and mobility tests are underway, so there's that to look forward to!

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, Laviduce said:

What are the actual differences between the K1E1, K1A1 and K1A2?

Just to keep it simple with the base K1 and K1A1 the whole family is:

K1: Base model, 105mm KM68A1 

K1A1: Base model, 120mm KM256, improved commander's sight the KCPS

K1E1: Upgraded K1, retains the KM68A1, "digital battlefield control system", improved IFF system with an IFF interrogator above the gun (though not always mounted), driver's front and rear cameras, driver's thermal camera (though not always mounted), GPS

K1A2: Upgraded K1A1, retains the KM256, "digital battlefield control system", improved IFF system with an IFF interrogator above the gun (though not always mounted), driver's front and rear cameras, driver's thermal camera (though not always mounted), GPS

There might be more I am missing but most of these features are visually identifiable. 

(https://kookbang.dema.mil.kr/newsWeb/20190104/1/BBSMSTR_000000010263/view.do 

https://post.naver.com/viewer/postView.nhn?volumeNo=17495759)

Hnlv4EK.jpg

(https://kookbang.dema.mil.kr/newsWeb/20190201/2/BBSMSTR_000000010263/view.do

https://www.hyundai-rotem.co.kr/Eng/Business/Machine/Business_Record_View.asp?brid=33)

pfoeMsI.jpg

Here’s another source with a bit more info. I can't read Korean so please correct me if the following info is incorrect, but from the google translation, it seems the SK MoD was informed about the status of the ongoing tank trials, and also got to observe one of the firepower tests where multiple targets had to be identified and engaged at the same time. Here the K2 was able to hit all of its targets with the minimal amount of shots fired. It also says that the K2 has shown excellent performance during the mobility and firepower tests that have been carried out so far (60% done).

A few more photos from the winter trials:

• The first two are definitely from the opening event, but they're nice shots that haven't been posted here before, so why not?
  • The third is probably the most interesting shot. At first I thought it was from ADEX, but then I noticed that the RWS is not a Protector Nordic as was displayed there, but a CROWS-LP. In other words, it's probably a more recent shot, and it might also be an indicator that Norway is interested in keeping the profile as low as possible. Well, I don't see any other benefits since it's behind the commander anyway unlike on the Abrams where the normal CROWS got in the way of his vision.
Spoiler

xaIXGVA.jpg

Iy6ipQc.jpg

fMVN0DU.jpg

19 hours ago, Laser Shark said:

A few more photos from the winter trials:

• The first two are definitely from the opening event, but they're nice shots that haven't been posted here before, so why not?
  • The third is probably the most interesting shot. At first I thought it was from ADEX, but then I noticed that the RWS is not a Protector Nordic as was displayed there, but a CROWS-LP. In other words, it's probably a more recent shot, and it might also be an indicator that Norway is interested in keeping the profile as low as possible. Well, I don't see any other benefits since it's behind the commander anyway unlike on the Abrams where the normal CROWS got in the way of his vision.
  Hide contents

xaIXGVA.jpg

Iy6ipQc.jpg

fMVN0DU.jpg

Very nice photo witch shows also the autoloader filled with APFSDS rounds.