Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Kimchi armoured vehicles: K1, K2, K21 and other AFVs from Worse Korea

Zadlo

On 9/4/2021 at 9:23 PM, Cleb said:

Short answer: No

Slightly longer answer: There were a few different attempts to acquire M60s from the US but they never materialized. So the ROK was left to update their M48s with Korea not long after joining with the US to develop the K1. There's a bit more nuance to it all but that's the general gist.

On the topic of ROK M60s though, there is this peculiar picture which is supposedly a ROKMC M60A1 (The word printed on the side translates to "Marine Corps"). The theory is, if it isn't an edited photo, the ROKMC loaned some M60A1s from the USFK and did some cross training on them.

JruuieP.jpg

gBaFtkP.jpg

2 hours ago, Lord_James said:

Looks very much like the Chrysler XM1 proposal. Was there any technology or idea sharing between the M1 and K1?

Absolutely. Korea awarded a development contract with Chrysler (eventually became General Dynamics Land Systems hence on most pictures of the XK1s have GDLS marked on them) for a tank which would eventually become the K1. 

You can get a general overview of the development from this page scan from Janes IDR:

ccyAscf.jpg

XK1 PV-1 and PV-2:

Spoiler

iKGJZgF.jpg

wpdGUj1.jpg

Just going through some older documentaries on the ROK Army Consolidated Maintenance Depot and discovered what I would consider some neat shots of the K1.

Something that you don't get to see clearly often is the hydropneumatic suspension on the K1.

apA3FUF.jpg

Spoiler

Bare hulls of the K1 showing the indents where the suspension units are mounted.

eqzbZHz.jpg

wyZO8hW.jpg

A good view of the fuel tanks lining the flanks of the hull.

4mIt0Xy.jpg

KM68A1 gun being removed

B7MKWOg.jpg

26 minutes ago, LoooSeR said:

For different tests, i guess?

I don’t think so. Both contestant were asked to bring two tanks for the trials, and KMW has brought two identical ones without Trophy (even though it's listed as an option on their promotional site), so it doesn't look like it was necessary for the tests. Of course, there is also the possibility that the Trophy here is simply a display model and not a functional system as some have suggested.

• 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, LoooSeR said:

I probably missed that - they don't have RCWS on it?

Not sure the reason but they don't have the Protector RWS mounted on either K2s during this event. (should note that up until this point since the K2s arrived in Norway neither K2 from what I've seen has been equipped with it even though the K2NO displayed at ADEX 2021 was fitted with the Protector RWS)

WhnxulX.jpg

K2NO Display from ADEX 2021 with the Protector RWS

Spoiler

ijVWUiO.jpg

4Sxgdn8.jpg

Egq7vwN.jpg