Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

http://armyrecognition.com/february_2016_global_defense_security_news_industry/rheinmetall_future_mbt_main_battle_tank_mgsc_main_ground_combat_system_with_130mm_cannon_11802161.html

Rheinmetall is apparently working on a new 130mm gun for the Leo 2/LeClerc replacement.

I had heard that they were working on a 140mm some time ago to upgun the Leo 2?

http://armyrecognition.com/february_2016_global_defense_security_news_industry/rheinmetall_future_mbt_main_battle_tank_mgsc_main_ground_combat_system_with_130mm_cannon_11802161.html

Rheinmetall is apparently working on a new 130mm gun for the Leo 2/LeClerc replacement.

I had heard that they were working on a 140mm some time ago to upgun the Leo 2?

it actually got test mounted on a leo 2:

leop2140.jpg

There was the 140mm gun actually mounted to the Abrams CATTB:

m1cattb1.jpg

The 140mm proposed for the STRV-2000:

jSb5JHD.jpg

And I've heard of a British 140 and a Ukrainian 140mm as well.  I think all 5 are different guns, though perhaps the Swedish and Swiss/German ones are the same weapon.

How much difference in weight of gun and/or ammunition would there be between say a 155 mm or 140 mm gun of roughly the same power?

As far as tank automotive performance is concerned it's pretty trivial.  The gun and ammo are one of the lightest things on a tank, and usually account for 3-7% of the total weight of the tank, per Ogorkiewicz.  Even if the gun were twice as heavy it would not constitute a large proportional increase in mass.

Indirectly it could make the tank a lot heavier because ammo is very bulky.  You can see how much longer the turret bustle is on CATTB.  If it's armored to any degree that's going to add much more weight than the added mass of the bigger gun.  For ammo that big and heavy an autoloader would be a good idea.  But then again human loaders did manage in the SU-152 firing brass cased ammo and full caliber AP, so I don't think an autoloader would be absolutely necessary.

Speaking about size - just look at T-95 or Nota tanks to see how much tanks become bigger when designers put 152 mm high-power gun and autoloader in their MBTs. Even Object 299 was still bigger than any previous T-XX tanks, although it was most "dense" in sense of layout.

As far as tank automotive performance is concerned it's pretty trivial.  The gun and ammo are one of the lightest things on a tank, and usually account for 3-7% of the total weight of the tank, per Ogorkiewicz.  Even if the gun were twice as heavy it would not constitute a large proportional increase in mass.

Indirectly it could make the tank a lot heavier because ammo is very bulky.  You can see how much longer the turret bustle is on CATTB.  If it's armored to any degree that's going to add much more weight than the added mass of the bigger gun.  For ammo that big and heavy an autoloader would be a good idea.  But then again human loaders did manage in the SU-152 firing brass cased ammo and full caliber AP, so I don't think an autoloader would be absolutely necessary.

The reason I'm asking is that maybe it might be possible to have commonality with say a regular 155 mm howitzer on SP Guns, at least for non armour-piercing rounds if the weight penalty is not too high?

The reason I'm asking is that maybe it might be possible to have commonality with say a regular 155 mm howitzer on SP Guns, at least for non armour-piercing rounds if the weight penalty is not too high?

Getting the rifling twist rates to play nice with both types of round could be interesting, but I think you could reasonably re-use the 155mm projectiles if not the propellant charges.