Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Kazakhstan signed a contract for the supply of T-72KZ "Shygys" for Jordan Army

_GZZMJPzF6M.jpg

It's like somebody stuck a M60 upgrade package on a T-72.

http://www.kampfpanzer.de/vehicles/t-72

Kazakhstan is operating a larger fleet of T-72 tanks. While other countries started upgrading the tanks, Kazakhstan did not do anything over the last 20 years. Therefore it is understandable that an upgrade was sooner or later to be expected. But instead of turning towards Russia or even the Ukraine or Poland, Kazakhstan to decided to ask Israel for help. This decision must have been somewhat influenced by parallel projects running in Georgia and Azerbaijan.

A first version of the T-72KZ was presented in public back in 2010. The tank was improved fully using technology developed in Israel and somewhat similar to the T-72 Aslan. Instead of the T-72AV style ERA, the prototype was using the passive armour developed for the Sabra tank on turret and hull front. The fire control system used seems to be the Drawa-T including the TISAS thermal sight. It must be noted that the army was actively pushing for passive armour and knowingly decided against ERA. Tests of the tank showed little impressive results and resulted in a relaunch of the project.

Oh, no wonder.

Here is the full video for the above

Of particular interest to me was the mine-clearing/assault-breacher rocket at 2:51.  Don't think I have seen or heard of the Norks possessing something like that.

stuff like that is alot more vital to any offensive action into the south than assloads of tricked out T-62s will ever be, alot of South Korean defensive action is basically "block the fuck out of any roads and stall them here". A Korean campaign, in any case will be won who lost politically by who can isolate the largest forces strategically. The North Koreans have a pretty massive artillery advantage to drain moral and push through inital defenses hoping to grap enough land to force a political stalemate or involvement of their allies, and the South Koreans and their capitalist Allies have a rather decisive lead in the field of aerospace and sea control. Not that both cant be negated by counter battery and air defense and what ever the fuck China would do in a continuation of the Korean War.

And such rockets arent exactly expensive to make or too terribly complicated to produce and have been around for a long time. Not that my eyes can tell too good through a 480p video but it looks like its based on the Chinese type 63 armored personal chassis, as alot of things in North Korea are. As china handed them out like party favors during the cold war. The norks use them (predicatbly) as APC's but also SPAAG, motar carries IFV's, and command vehicles

Ry6NOc3.jpg

But random anti US fanboys who don't know what theyre talking about told me the Abrams is like, the worstest tank ever because it has a turbine engine!

Put them next to a Leopard 2/PzH2000/Kodiak, rev the engine for a bit and ask them how quiet it was.

...not that they're going to hear the question because they're deaf.

I'm starting to appreciate how quite the Abrams' turbine actually is.

I was privileged to attend the USMC Tiger Comp gunnery competition in 2002 at Ft. Knox with other members of the TankNet forum. The M1A1s were assembled out of sight behind a hill, and as we were waiting for the first one to appear, we heard a sound quite similar to a multi-blade helicopter. As we were scanning the sky, the first tank emerged from behind the hill to take up its position; the sound we heard was the sprocket engaging the tracks. The group even contained former Abrams crewmen who didn't recognize that the sound was coming from a tank.