Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

If anything, it would be based on the ASCOD 2. Ajax is only a specialized sub-version with Lockheed-Martin-modified Lance turret.

I was referring to the Ajax family of vehicles and not the namesake.

It is true that I could have said ASCOD, but I went with the most modern iteration.

Great photos! I decided to speculate a bit on the Griffin's design, let's hope further informations will emerge soon!

Edit to prevent double-posting:

AUSA 2016: Griffin to tempt US Army

"General Dynamics has brought a new vehicle to AUSA to show the US Army its ideas for future medium weight fire support.

The Griffin tracked vehicle took five months to develop and uses existing mature technologies to demonstrate a new capability.

The vehicle employs a tracked Ajax chassis prototype borrowed from the UK, the turret from the M1 Abrams main battle tank and the XM360 120mm cannon that was earlier developed by ARDEC and Benet Laboratories for the cancelled Future Combat System programme for $160 million.

General Dynamics is using the XM360 because it is much lighter than the Abram's existing turret and the aim is to create a lighter vehicle under 32t.

Mike Peck, business development manager at GDLS, told Shephard that the army is looking for something but the requirement is not yet fully defined.

The plan is to support the Infantry Brigade Combat Teams with deployable fire support that can fit into a C-17 transport aircraft. The C-17 can carry one M1 tank but could carry two Griffin-type vehicles each weighing half the M1.

He said that the Griffin weighs about 28t, with the intention to shed another ton to get it to around 27. This has been achieved by stripping out the turret so that it is a shell, but retains all the upgrades that are in the ECP-2 tank upgrade.

The Ajax chassis has been modified with a different track skirts and was cleaned up as this model was used for turret integration tests in the UK.

Peck said that over the past five months the company had examined the integration of the gun and turret. He added that the vehicle is intended as a ‘conversation starter’ with the army, so that they can take a look, decide what they like and don’t like and then GD can come back with a new vehicle in 9-12 months’ time.

The chassis can be changed if they don’t like it or the gun can be a 105mm calibre instead so all options are open at this stage.

Peck said there could also be interest from the US Marine Corp, which has a similar issue as it can only fit one M1 Abrams tank on its LCAC amphibious landing craft. Therefore GDLS sees itself as providing a medium-weight large calibre niche capability - or a light tank.

In AUSA 2015, BAE Systems displayed its old M8 Armored Gun System as a potential offering for the US Army’s future Mobile Protected Firepower (MPF) requirement that could be met by a light tank."

Source: https://www.shephardmedia.com/news/landwarfareintl/ausa-2016-griffin-tempt-army/

Great photos! I decided to speculate a bit on the Griffin's design, let's hope further informations will emerge soon!

Edit to prevent double-posting:

Source: https://www.shephardmedia.com/news/landwarfareintl/ausa-2016-griffin-tempt-army/

I didn't realize that the "Under the Turret Ring" blog was yours.  Very cool.

So in this video the GDLS rep says that the Griffin as displayed weighs 27 tons and is armored against 7.62, with modular packages to increase armor. He also mentions the Abrams like turret weights 1/3 that of a normal Abrams.

There is also some information on anti-UAV systems tested on a Stryker.