Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Vehicles of the PLA: Now with refreshing new topic title!

Khand-e

1 hour ago, Scolopax said:

These are all export vehicles, yes?  I am assuming V is what the Chinese use for such designation.

VT"X" generally designates an export vehicle yes (there are a few other export codes, VT is the most common though.)

Also, note the mostly tan with light brown/green blotches camo patterns, this is almost always used exclusively on export vehicle demos, the PLA doesn't actually use this color scheme.

4 hours ago, LoooSeR said:

Didn't noticed that RCWS have both MG and GL

http://andrei-bt.livejournal.com/581716.html

DCCbHJCUIAAuX7m.jpg

Yeah It's hard to see at a distance but it does.

A few of the later Chinese HMGs are relatively small for their caliber so it gives space to fit other things in a compact area.

9 minutes ago, LoooSeR said:

For some extra cash you will get your thermal imager :D 

Majority those vics are for export.

Yeah I don't think so. For example that type 59 heavy IFV and VN-12 IFV both use similar turrets like some of the PLA's ifv's with the same non-thermal sights and weapons lay-out. 

Why not equip your product with all the bells and whistles to show it's full capability? Also that HJ-73 ATGM on top of that modern looking RCWS looks off.

The ZTQ-5 light tank and the IFV based on the ZTQ-5 chassis have modern sights with thermals. The VN-12 and the type-59 based IFV not. The latter are prolly advertised at cash strapped armies while the former for more wealthy countries. Bear in mind that thermal imagers are quite expensive, especially military grade ones. I recall that the sights and FCS on the original bradley IFV accounted for 25% of the total cost of the vehicle.

Even the PLA hasn't fielded IFV's with thermals until recently with the ZBD-04A. Thermals were present at mbt, tank destroyers/assault guns and specialized recon vehicles.

Really? I wake up to this, for christ's sake? After the ID shit I am really not in the mood for this, so lets do this fast.

17 hours ago, barbaria said:

Yeah I don't think so. For example that type 59 heavy IFV and VN-12 IFV both use similar turrets like some of the PLA's ifv's with the same non-thermal sights and weapons lay-out. 

Why not equip your product with all the bells and whistles to show it's full capability? Also that HJ-73 ATGM on top of that modern looking RCWS looks off.

Probably because as LoooSeR just said, these are export vehicles, and "all the bells and whistles" puts it out of the price range of any potential buyers, and anyone who can do it themselves almost certainly wouldn't need to export in the first place.

China's primary buyers are located mostly, in order by region in, 1. Southeast and Central Asia 2. Africa 3. the Middle East 4. South America and 5. Far Eastern Europe.

Do these sound like regions with countries loaded with cash for the most part to spend on the cutting edge assuming were not talking about the nations where the USA and Russia already has a firm foothold? maybe theres a reason for the past 4 years China has been the 3rd most successful arms exporter, they know how to play the game.

16 hours ago, barbaria said:

The ZTQ-5 light tank and the IFV based on the ZTQ-5 chassis have modern sights with thermals. The VN-12 and the type-59 based IFV not. The latter are prolly advertised at cash strapped armies while the former for more wealthy countries. Bear in mind that thermal imagers are quite expensive, especially military grade ones. I recall that the sights and FCS on the original bradley IFV accounted for 25% of the total cost of the vehicle.

So, here you admit that said gear is expensive which would've answered your previous questions of why said gear is optional if you weren't being argumentive, because It's targeted at large sales to poorer nations, this is called "how to make money." No one cares how good your export vehicle is if no one actually on the export market can even afford it in significant quantities.

Also, what exactly is the "ZTQ-5"? is this some new super weapon we haven't heard of?

Even the PLA hasn't fielded IFV's with thermals until recently with the ZBD-04A. Thermals were present at mbt, tank destroyers/assault guns and specialized recon vehicles.

So a literal decade ago = recent? because that's when the ZBD04A actually entered service as the designation was initially confused by most sources as the ZBD08, even I initially wrote it as this years ago along with a few other mistakes I learned to fix in my writings because I was taught the hard way how to put effort into it, this is because Chinese designations are really complicated and change often due to the fact they're rarely correctly identified in the first place. (and even though it entered full production on 2008, it was approved in 2007)

6 hours ago, barbaria said:

That ZTQ-5 light tank has a bustle autoloader which is quite nice and a good solution. I wonder how much rounds it can store.

Again with this mysterious ZTQ-5 vehicle, what is this exactly?