Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Vehicles of the PLA: Now with refreshing new topic title!

Khand-e

6 hours ago, Zach9889 said:

While it is silly to use Wart chunder as a reference, it's not to farfetched to state that the ZTZ-96/99 series are protected over a smaller frontal arc than their Western and Russian counterparts, based on geometry.

Smaller arc than Russian tanks for sure considering the lack of side ERA on the hull, but not much different than western tanks, better in the sense that at least the turret sides have ERA.

The LFP is somewhat problematic but it's still statistically unlikely to be hit so not a big deal.

Also I really like how the Chinese (finally) fixed the old cleavage weakspot that the original ZTZ99 inhereted from the T-72 (and goes all the way back to the T-64). You can tell if you look at a ZTZ99A without ERA that it doesn't have as much of a weakened zone for the drivers periscope.

https://preview.redd.it/ynittghu7ye31.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=8599c8087bb7efe063287480b50451f78bfa7969

I think they might have reclined the drivers position like in a Chieftain to do this but I'm not sure.

12 hours ago, Lord_James said:

Ah yes, the most credible source for top secret and complex armor details, wart chunder. 

Of course,War thunder is incredible.In real world,the weak area in 99As turret maybe even bigger.:D

Spoiler

FY-W_05aUAApN4m?format=jpg&name=large

Spoiler

FY-aGskakAEcbyV?format=jpg&name=small

Spoiler

FY-W_z2akAExYaO?format=jpg&name=small

5 hours ago, watch_your_fire said:

Smaller arc than Russian tanks for sure considering the lack of side ERA on the hull, but not much different than western tanks, better in the sense that at least the turret sides have ERA.

The LFP is somewhat problematic but it's still statistically unlikely to be hit so not a big deal.

Also I really like how the Chinese (finally) fixed the old cleavage weakspot that the original ZTZ99 inhereted from the T-72 (and goes all the way back to the T-64). You can tell if you look at a ZTZ99A without ERA that it doesn't have as much of a weakened zone for the drivers periscope.

https://preview.redd.it/ynittghu7ye31.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=8599c8087bb7efe063287480b50451f78bfa7969

I think they might have reclined the drivers position like in a Chieftain to do this but I'm not sure.

They didn't fix the weakspot at all.

FY-W_z5acAEZ_iL?format=jpg&name=small

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...