Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The Leopard 2 Thread

Militarysta

• 2 weeks later...

Regarding the current Leopard 2 upgrade programs of the German Army:

• Leopard 2A6 -> Leopard 2A6A3
  • Leopard 2A6M -> Leopard 2A6(M)A4
  • Leopard 2A7(V) + Trophy -> Leopard 2A7A1 (one platoon only for the VJTF 2023)

Currently 123 tanks are not planned for direct upgrades. They are likely to be upgraded to the Leopard 2A7 follow-up standard (currently only known as Leopard 2AX) after 2025. This has been suggested by the Amt für Heeresentwicklung of the Bundeswehr.

1 hour ago, SH_MM said:

Currently 123 tanks are not planned for direct upgrades. They are likely to be upgraded to the Leopard 2A7 follow-up standard (currently only known as Leopard 2AX) after 2025. This has been suggested by the Amt für Heeresentwicklung of the Bundeswehr.

Dachs AEV to Leopard 2 AEV.

Buffel ARV to Buffel A1.

Biber AVLB to Leguan.

2 hours ago, SH_MM said:

To put the upgrades into perspective, right now there are two major contracts signed for Leo upgrades:

1. Contract

The first contract was signed in 2017. Back then the MoD bought back 104 old tanks from industry stocks (party old swiss and other "export" Leos). 68 of these old Leopards will be converted to the A7V standard (which has been described here in detail already), together with all 20 Leopard 2A7 that Germany owns. The remaining 16 dutch tanks (leased from Germany) will also be upgraded. The first tank of this program have already been delivered. The next 10 tanks will be delivered by December for tactical trials, with the last ones expected to come in in 2022.

2. Contract

An announcement about a second upgrade contract was made in March of 2019. The new contract included the upgrade of 101 A6 and A6M tanks to a standard "similar to A7V".

From the public documents we know that at least the thermal imagers and communications systems will be changed. The last delivery is expected for 2026.

The "Trophy Upgrade" for 17 Leopard 2 tanks is an interim solution to equip some tanks with an APS for the VJTF(L) 2023 (as previously mentioned).

Leopard 2AX

Not much is known about the next ugprade program (AX or A8) apart from some comments Frank Lobitz (Leopard 2 Development manager for BAAINBw) made.

The expected changes include a RCWS, possibly an engine upgrade to 1650hp, improved FCS and a larger scale deployment of an APS (Possibly Rheinmetall ADS).

Leopard+2+roadmap.jpg

Earlier this year there were also reports from german "SPIEGEL" newspaper about an additional order of 80 Leopard 2 tanks, but i haven't of anything regarding this topic again, also not from MoD people. I strongly suspect that the pandemic and subsequent budget strains didn't particularly help these plans.

Overview

Fleet in 2020:

- 19 Leopard 2A5 (GÜZ exercise tanks)

- 155 Leopard 2A6

- 50 Leopard 2A6M (Different configurations)

- 20 Leopard 2A7

Fleet in 2025:

- 19 Leopard 2A5

- 124 Leopard 2A6

- 101 Leopard 2A6MA3 (or whatever it will be called by then)

- 104 Leopard 2A7(V)

1 hour ago, Voodoo said:

What upgrades are the A6A3 and A6(M)A4?

It has not been officially announced, but gathering from different German defence news publications, the following should be part of the upgrade:

• control panels/operating concept from Leopard 2A7
  • upgraded fire control system with third generation thermal imager (for the commander at least, as reportedly not all spare parts are being made for the OPHELIOS thermal imager anymore)
  • hull brought up to Leopard 2A7 standards - whatever this means, it has not been stated by a reliable source. Might include the upgraded NBC protection system, improved hull side armor, APU, reinforced torsion bars etc. or not.

13 minutes ago, Willy Brandt said:

How are you getting another 51 A6M? the 48 A6M will be turned into A6MA3 and stay with PzBtl414

I believe he is listing the Leopard 2A6A3 and the Leopard 2A6MA4 together as one type, because they are both resulting from the same contract - but as far as I know they remain two different configurations.

20 minutes ago, Willy Brandt said:

How are you getting another 51 A6M? the 48 A6M will be turned into A6MA3 and stay with PzBtl414

5 minutes ago, SH_MM said:

I believe he is listing the Leopard 2A6A3 and the Leopard 2A6MA4 together as one type, because they are both resulting from the same contract - but as far as I know they remain two different configurations.

Exactly, it's unsure if they will be the same or different configurations. Mainly comes down to the mine protection kit regarding designation.

21 minutes ago, Willy Brandt said:

And the maximum in 2030 will be still just 320 unless they buy another 44 for the 7th tank Bataillon.

Possibly. Also possible for the concept of "Umlaufreserve" becoming a thing again. But as i already said COVID probably put an end to that - for the near future at least.

Original source: https://www.spiegel.de/politik/deutschland/bundeswehr-soll-neue-leopard-panzer-bekommen-a-1295567.html

10 minutes ago, Willy Brandt said:

Yeah the proposed umlaufreserve would be 49 Tanks. 44 for a bataillon and 5 more for the School.

Haven't seen or heard plans for full equip for GebPzBtl 8, since both active companies go to 363 in Hardheim. And the planned reserves would've been for the phase of upgrades to have more tanks at disposal

• 2 weeks later...

Leopard 3SL mod B studie, front mounted engine and transmission 

iAPOxKxAO4U.jpg

2sv3YuxxnTE.jpg

H-7QqIlBD-I.jpg

vehicle have protection level - 120mm APFSDS from 1km, 120mm HL, 110mm HESH, all at +-30 deg, but at which height this level was reached will look later, as for KE part i think only upper part 

rbqGHsg.jpeg

Btw @Molota_477 which report and variant of Leo3SL is this ?

wOe-F-HGsqk.jpg

btw one more variant of Leopard 3 hull 

45 minutes ago, Serge said:

So, closer to the Leclerc or Type-90.

Aside of the fact that there is no automatic loading. The loader (still the 4th crew member) selects the type of round, then the conveyor belt rotates until the correct round is aligned with the "port" and the round is ejected into the loader's waiting hands.