Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

WoT v WT effort-thread

Toxn

The new base AAA buff in WT (essentially base AAA is now all radar-guided stuff from the 50s) has lead to a lot of matches where the losing team simply packs up and camps at home base until they can win on tickets.

This is annoying, as you can imagine. Especially when you don't have the time to sit around with your finger up your ass while the AI decides the match on the ground. Or when your 7:2 advantage, gained through excellent team-work and flying, now means nothing in the face of two tossers who park on runway and go AFK for the rest of the match.

The new base AAA buff in WT (essentially base AAA is now all radar-guided stuff from the 50s) has lead to a lot of matches where the losing team simply packs up and camps at home base until they can win on tickets.

This is annoying, as you can imagine. Especially when you don't have the time to sit around with your finger up your ass while the AI decides the match on the ground. Or when your 7:2 advantage, gained through excellent team-work and flying, now means nothing in the face of two tossers who park on runway and go AFK for the rest of the match.

the worst are the dickheads who circle above their base AAA so you can't even kill them easily compared to just parking there

An example from last night:

I flew out in my A6M2-N banana plane over that Chinese map that seems to be cropping up more frequently. I flew at mid altitude (2000m) and we had a bunch of Ki-43s and 44s on high. The opposing team (mainly Yak 7s) went in low to catch our bomber and Ki-45 (who went in fast and low, of course), and got down to trying to gang-bang two of our fighters who went in as well. I got in and targeted one of the 7s just as the Kis jumped them, and within about a minute we had eleminated them almost completely (2 kills, 3 assists for me). Then we spent the next 20 minutes strafing ground for lack of anything else to do.

Eventually I got so bored that I parked my plane on a river, at which point the remaining enemy team (a Mig-3 and Lagg-3) jumped me.

This one was actually borderline, as the enemy team was being pretty sneaky and waiting for us to disperse rather than just going AFK. Still, the fact that you can just wait out the opposing team like that (with, as I mentioned earlier, a 7:2 advantage thanks to good team work) under your impenetrable bubble of base AA grates a bit, as boring the enemy to death is one of the lowest exploits I can think of. 

This was also the final straw in a bad night for me, as my lag issues coincide damn near perfectly with WT having anyone to fight (last three matches ended with my connection spazzing out and my plane diving into the ground). The mornings, where my internet is better, generally see all of 15000 on the EU server. So 5+ min waits are common.

So yeah, no fun brigade wins again. Please advise on single-player flying games that I can enjoy.

AI any good? Or is the joy in just flying the things out?

It's called IL-2 Sturmovik, but there are a few hundred flyable planes and an absolute crapton of mods. And I do mean an absolute crapton of mods. It took years and years to crack the game to enable mods, but when they did it the community just exploded with mods. There's modpacks for WW1 stuff, early jets, late jets, maps, campaigns, basically everything.

I swore I'd never do it by I've been driving one of the rentals, the M46 Patton KR. I decided to finally give in since I wanted another good American tank at one point (not sure which one) and being able to grind a free crew at 100 percent and give them XP while also making bank in credits made me finally give in.

I'm currently rocking something like a 54 percent winrate in it which isn't great but there have been a few clunker games at Tier X last night that dropped it down a few percentage points. 

I kinda like the thing. It doesn't do that much damage a shot, but I'm more a fan of DPM and accuracy. And it's more than a match I feel to the Mutz which is also on Rental.

It's called IL-2 Sturmovik, but there are a few hundred flyable planes and an absolute crapton of mods. And I do mean an absolute crapton of mods. It took years and years to crack the game to enable mods, but when they did it the community just exploded with mods. There's modpacks for WW1 stuff, early jets, late jets, maps, campaigns, basically everything.

WT 's flight component is basically a mod of IL2.

I swore I'd never do it by I've been driving one of the rentals, the M46 Patton KR. I decided to finally give in since I wanted another good American tank at one point (not sure which one) and being able to grind a free crew at 100 percent and give them XP while also making bank in credits made me finally give in.

I'm currently rocking something like a 54 percent winrate in it which isn't great but there have been a few clunker games at Tier X last night that dropped it down a few percentage points. 

I kinda like the thing. It doesn't do that much damage a shot, but I'm more a fan of DPM and accuracy. And it's more than a match I feel to the Mutz which is also on Rental.

I bought the KR, cause of the cool Tiger paint scheme, but havn't played it much.  I've liked it when I do play play it though, it helps that I can run my best crew in it. 

WT 's flight component is basically a mod of IL2.

I never liked IL2, after playing Aceshigh, with its ability to move your simulated head around the cockpit, IL2's  fixed head positioning was a massive annoyance. As was the games mechanic that all A/C engines overheat is run at Military continuously.

I think Aceshigh had/has(havn't checked in some time to see if they were still around) better flight models as well. 

Edited by Jeeps_Guns_Tanks

Yeah, Aceshigh had that, plus, you could move your virtual head all over the cockpit, and it supported track IR. 

I bets its still around, and still looks like cutting edge for 1999!

http://www.hitechcreations.com/

They are in a beta for AcesHigh III but the site seems dead. 

I have real sticktime on an old Link simulator. So, just about anything past the Win 95 offerings is pretty good.

I have real sticktime on an old Link simulator. So, just about anything past the Win 95 offerings is pretty good.

That must have been pretty cool, I've only seen pictures of a Link. 

I just tried downloading Aceshigh, but it timed out, but I suppose that could be cause they banned me.   Their forum moderator/support guy was a dickhead. 

That must have been pretty cool, I've only seen pictures of a Link. 

I just tried downloading Aceshigh, but it timed out, but I suppose that could be cause they banned me.   Their forum moderator/support guy was a dickhead. 

aerobatics sucked. You'd "CLUNK" against the stops. A lot.  All you had was instruments, but if you'd flown before, you had an idea what to do to get results.

There's also the new Il-2 Sturmovik Battle of Stalingrad (which is also going to feature playable tanks someday)