Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

6 hours ago, Priory_of_Sion said:

UN-white Leclercs just look off

IIRC one of the veteran writers in a military forum who is very familiar with this incident and those involved, said there's quite a lot of misinformation there. I'll try to investigate. 

If anyone's interested, it's supposedly about a bunch of Spike missiles left in Lebanese territory that the IDF wanted to retrieve. The French didn't know why Israeli tanks were entering the territory, but then they backed off and announced that they will not interfere with a tech retrieval mission. 

3 minutes ago, Xoon said:

General question, has there ever been AFVs or tanks built for fighting in mountainous terrain? 

Wasn't the Chinese ZTQ designed for this (I see Serge posted about it before I finished typing)? I also believe much of Japan's modern AFVs considered the country's hilly terrain in their development. Wouldn't be surprised if the Swiss Panzer 61 and 68 also took this into account 

Define mountainous. Because it is possible to say that for the last 20-30 years any Israeli AFV of the types we discuss on this forum, was built for such places. Not for the ease of transport but for protection while driving in valleys surrounded by hills that are typical for the south lebanon region.

Other than that, probably not much. Though I guess the US M8 (or anything that wins the MPF but we all know it's going to be the M8) will be the first candidate to go to such places if required, and Russia recently put out a series of AFVs designed for the arctic climate that may be suitable for mountainous areas because of suitability for lower oxygen density environments (or so I've heard) and the mobility requirements that are probably harsher in the arctic environment. Light weight and great off road, all terrain mobility makes arctic vehicles suitable for mountainous areas. Now here's where I may be wrong, but the Armata family was or is planned to have arctic derivatives.

"Barys" and "Alan": new Kazakhstan armored cars.

- Recently, "Barys" has been tested at a test site in Spassk. What are the results?

- We are generally satisfied with the tests. The system is also able to fire at night, in contrast to the optical systems that are installed on previous samples. In the exercises you count the target on the principle of "hit-not hit", that is, from 10 shots it is enough to hit one shell so that you count this exercise as done. For today, for example, a low-flying helicopter target at night at a distance of 1300 meters, 6 out of 10 shells fell directly to the target. This result is very high.

https://informburo.kz/stati/barys-i-alan-novye-kazahstanskie-broneavtomobili-dlya-silovyh-struktur-fotoreportazh.html?_utl_t=fb

Photos of factory and vehicles in the link (a lot of them)

“Барыс” и “Алан”: новые казахстанские бронеавтомобили для силовых структур. Фоторепортаж - Informburo.kz

Barys 8x8

• Crew - 2 + 1 + 8;
  • Weight - 19 000 kg;
  • Clearance - 450 mm;
  • Wheelbase - 2 300 mm (in front), 2,550 mm (rear);
  • Combat weight - 28 000 kg;
  • The maximum speed is 100 km / h;
  • The diameter of the turn is 22-24 m;
  • Range - 800 km.

Armament:

1. 57-mm remote-controlled combat unit AU-220M;
  2. Remote-controlled combat module of the KAE company with a 30-mm cannon 2A42;

The engine - turbodiesel, 550 hp;
Transmission - automatic transmission
Brakes - pneumatic, disk with АBS;
Tires - 16.00 R20;
Air conditioning - 12 kW as standard with climate control system;
Electrical system - 24 V;
   Ballistic protection STANAG 4569 level 3 5.56 x 45 armor-piercing and incendiary (BBZ), 7.62 x 39 armor-piercing (BB), 7.62 x 51 (BBZ), 7.62 x 54 (BBZ), 12.7 x 9 9 NATO cartridge;
   Mine protection STANAG 4569 level 4 b Explosion protection 10 kg under the hull, 10 kg under each wheel and 50 kg from the side, at 5 m.

Options:

• Winch;
  • Systems of protection against nuclear, biological and chemical weapons;
  • Auxiliary power supply.

Новый боевой модуль для бронетранспортера “Барыс”, разработанный компанией "Казахстан Аселсан Инжиниринг"

Spoiler

Тепловизор, оптическая система и лазерный дальномер работают в комплексе

10.jpg

226.jpg

24.jpg

21.jpg

18.jpg

Barys 6x6

• Crew - 2 + 1 + 8;
  • Weight - 17 300 kg;
  • Clearance - 430 mm;
  • Wheelbase - 2 300 mm (in front), 2,240 mm (rear);
  • Combat weight - 22 500 kg;
  • Construction - bearing body (not based on the chassis);
  • The maximum speed is 110 km / h;
  • The diameter of the turn is 24.5 m;
  • Range - 1000 km;
  • The engine - turbodiesel (336 kW, 450 hp, 1627 N / m);
  • Transmission - automatic transmission;
  • Brakes - pneumatic discs with ABS;
  • Tires - 16.00 R20;
  • Air conditioning - 12 kW with climate control system;
  • Electrical system - 24V;
  1. Ballistic protection of the crew compartment - (standard) B7 Stanag level 3;
  2. Ballistic protection engine compartment (standard) 5.56 x 45 armor-piercing incendiary (BBZ), 7.62 x 39 piercing (BB), 7.62 x 51 piercing (BB) (except the grille), 7.62 x 54 armor-piercing incendiary (BBZ) (except radiator grille), 12.7 x 99 NATO cartridge (except the radiator grille);
  3. Mine protection - protection against explosion 10kg under the hull, 10 kg under each wheel.

Options:

• Tire inflation system;
  • Armored inserts for the continuation of traffic with flat tires;
  • Walkie-talkies, intercom;
  • Additional armor - active and passive;
  • The combat management system;
  • Cargo winch;
  • Towing rod of the NATO standard;
  • Loudspeeker system;
  • The system of fire-fighting equipment (engine and crew compartments, wheel arches, etc.);
  • A ceiling hatch and a variety of turret/RCWS gun systems;
  • Systems of protection against biological and chemical weapons;
  • Tracking system for the location of the vehicle;
  • Additional set of armor (for side mirrors, door hinges, windows);
  • A system of cameras installed at the rear and front, connected to the display on the driver's panel and showing the corresponding rear and front view;
  • Updated ballistic protection of the engine grille;
  • Interior lighting - LED centralized directional light with a choice of white, green / blue and red
  • Winter package to operate at temperature ranges from - 50 ° C to 50 ° C.

Alan is basically a SandCat

Spoiler

3.jpg

The main characteristics of the BKM "Alan":

• The crew is 6 + 2 + 1;
  • Weight - 6700 kg;
  • The weight of the combat vehicle is 8845 kg;
  • Wheelbase - 3429 mm;
  • Construction - frame chassis;
  • The maximum speed is -160 km / h (electronically limited - 120 km / h);
  • Turning radius is 6.9 meters;
  • Range - 500 (plus or minus 50 at steady movement of 80 km / h);
  • The engine - turbodiesel (220 kBt, 300 hp, 900 Nm at 1600 rpm);
  • Transmission - automatic transmission;
  • Distributing box - two-speed, electrically controlled;
  • Steering gear - with hydraulic booster;
  • Brakes - with ventilated discs on 4 wheels, with ABS blocking system;
  • Tires - 285/70 R19,5;
  • The payload is 2,000 kilograms;
  1. Ballistic protection - level 3 (STANAG) 7.62 mm x 54RAPIB32 V-854 (plus or minus 20 m / s);
  2. Mine protection - level 1 (STANAG) 2 hand grenades DM51.

Options

• The ventilation system of powder gases;
  • Frontal thermal camera;
  • Complex of internal lighting devices;
  • Rear View Camera;
  • Loud-speaker device;
  • Light-signaling device (LED lamps, built-in front, rear of the machine, blue and red);
  • A winch with a pulling force of at least 5 tons;
  • Metal grilles to protect the armored glass windshield and radiator of the power plant, in the side and rear armored windows, the front and rear lights;
  • Engine preheating;
  • Portholes for weapons;
  • Metal protection of vital machine systems;
  • Self-supporting rims to ensure the ability to continue driving after puncturing tires;
  • Protection of the radiator;
  • Nozzle for the exhaust system to protect against unauthorized access;
  • Protective cover on the car.

18 hours ago, Serge said:

Chinese last light tank. 

18 hours ago, Priory_of_Sion said:

Wasn't the Chinese ZTQ designed for this (I see Serge posted about it before I finished typing)? I also believe much of Japan's modern AFVs considered the country's hilly terrain in their development. Wouldn't be surprised if the Swiss Panzer 61 and 68 also took this into account 

I guess the Chinese ZTQ fits this.  And maybe the Type 10.  Though I can't really find anything extraordinary about the Panzer 61 or 68.

17 hours ago, Mighty_Zuk said:

Define mountainous. Because it is possible to say that for the last 20-30 years any Israeli AFV of the types we discuss on this forum, was built for such places. Not for the ease of transport but for protection while driving in valleys surrounded by hills that are typical for the south lebanon region.

Other than that, probably not much. Though I guess the US M8 (or anything that wins the MPF but we all know it's going to be the M8) will be the first candidate to go to such places if required, and Russia recently put out a series of AFVs designed for the arctic climate that may be suitable for mountainous areas because of suitability for lower oxygen density environments (or so I've heard) and the mobility requirements that are probably harsher in the arctic environment. Light weight and great off road, all terrain mobility makes arctic vehicles suitable for mountainous areas. Now here's where I may be wrong, but the Armata family was or is planned to have arctic derivatives.

47834711-trollstigeveien-meandering-road

Heddersfjell%20ved%20Gausta_Tinn_Telemar

aa3c8734-fb92-42f7-9b15-7ebbca4dc0e7.jpg

colourbox4718455.jpg

the-longs-peak-summit.jpg

585049e0b96c70375a9d8eda.jpeg?original=1

In short, a AFV capable of traversing rocky fields at a practical speed, capable of climbing steep slopes and driving at angles. It needs to preform well in swamps, mud or snow, being able to traverse terrain common MBTs can not. It needs to be small, it has to be able to use the old infrastructure and poor roads of the mountains.  This pretty much excludes all Israeli AFVs since they tend to be large and heavy, the opposite of what you want. 

Being amphibious or having the ability to ford small rivers on the move is advantageous. 

The idea is to have the mobility to outmaneuver and ambush enemy forces which are forced to use main roads and predictable paths. 

13 hours ago, Scolopax said:

I randomly recall the Romanian MLVM as a mountain-oriented vehicle.

ASVgt9e.jpg

What makes it stand out? 

31 minutes ago, Xoon said:

What makes it stand out? 

Not sure besides the fact that its supposed to be for special mountain troops.  I can't find too much info outside of wikipedia, which itself hardly says anything on the matter.  I imagine its weight of 9 tons plays a role. The roadwheels certainly appear to be light.

mlvm07.jpg