Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

ATGMs and RPGs for infantry - a thread for rebels around the world to choose their ATGM supplier.

LoooSeR

Yuri Lyamin on otvaga about new video of ISIS branch in Egypt:

Militants from the so-called "Velayat Sinai" of the terrorist organization "Islamic State", who continue to fight with Egypt in the north of the Sinai Peninsula, in another video of their activities showed footage of improvised grenade launchers that they themselves are doing there.

The most interesting thing is that the warhead of the shot was created from Mk.118 submunitions from Mk.20 Rockeye cluster bombs, which are used there by the Egyptian Air Force.

Spoiler

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

MARCH 9, 2021. The Balkan 40mm anti-personnel automatic grenade launcher has successfully passed state tests. Prior to this, the weapon underwent experimental operation in the troops.

“Based on the results of the tests, the 6S19 Balkan grenade launcher was recommended for adoption by the Armed Forces of the Russian Federation,” said Alexander Kochkin, executive director of the Engineering Technologies NPO, to TASS.

40 mm for this thing are caseless.

• 2 weeks later...

HJ-16, claimed specs:

-8-10 km range 
-entire system (launcher, missile, control unit) weighting 28kg together.
-dual mode guidance/launch modes: fire and forget, wireless datalink control, i.e. operator can steer the missile after launch, which enables it to be used as a suicide drone and attack targets hidden behind cover
-top-attack, impact at a 55 degree angle

• 2 weeks later...

One of the persistent mysteries I am trying to solve is why exactly the Swiss purchased the Dragon ATGM system, which was a pile of crap, when MILAN existed, which is only a few pounds heavier and also actually works.

I found this publication, which contains an article on Swiss bicycle troops.  As of 1994, the Swiss had three entire regiments of bicycle infantry.  I thought this might be an answer; even though MILAN is only a little heavier than Dragon, for a bicycle-borne infantryman, a few pounds could make the difference.  But no, this is not the explanation.  The article states that the antitank companies of the bicycle regiments were motorized.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Collimatrix said:

Not in what I have, but I don't have much anyway.

I did search the internet in french to see if anything would pop up.

Found a few photos, but quality isn't great and neither are the angles :

Cutaway from this site :

This drawing you most likely already know :

And a cutaway of what looks like to be a real missile (might be the most interesting one for you) :

Spoiler

https://64.media.tumblr.com/668b97c64baf13bc108fe1b7fb6dced0/tumblr_ngsc4iKSvb1txx6x7o9_1280.jpg