Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Zach9889 said:

On a T-80 chassis this time. I've only seen them on T-72s before.

image.png

Previous picture that surfaced in 2021 had exactly the same vehicle.

If you speak about models/renders - Burlak turret was on several chassis, including T-90

Spoiler

Yec1X.jpg

This is from a video about a destroyed T-80 in Ukraine. The video doesn't show much else, or I'm not able to pick up enough data from the short video to determine if it's a BV or an U. 

9oSj6YF.jpeg

I think that it's a "newly" built T-80BV as in not a T-80B hull upgraded to the T-80BV: 

tBqWlH4.jpeg

Also, I've seen that video on a picture site called 9GAG where people think that Russians use WOOD! instead of "metal" in their tanks. I know that a person who isn't a tank enthusiast doesn't know about composites or textolite in this specoific case, but common, thinking that Soviets used wood as a armor filler.....I bet that some news sites will also report this is being wood. https://9gag.com/gag/ajVLNEQ#comment

Edited by Cheburashka

On 4/16/2023 at 5:52 PM, Serge said:

What is Burlak ?

an ERA ?

Its was a Universal turret program, turret could fit ,T72 ,T80 ,T90 , much-improved armor and cannon .

It had a dual cycle loader so it could load longer rounds from the turret bustle greatly increasing its firepower due to APFSDS with much longer penetrator core. No rounds outside the autoloader, which pose the main threat in case of armor penetration were stored in the tank. Overall “Burlak” project was a backup for a technically risky T-95 project.(Black Eagle). It seems both projects were cut in favor of Armata.

Unlike popular myth , the rounds in the autoloader are fairly well protected,its the spare rounds all over the tank that are most likely to blow up if tank is penetrated.

image017.jpg

On 5/3/2023 at 11:27 AM, LoooSeR said:

Southern part of Shikotan island - bunch of IS-3s and IS-2.

image.png

Reveal hidden contents

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

Are these from 1945? IS-3 production started in may and the Soviets landed in the Kuril islands in August, so the timeline makes sense. I'd guess that the cost of taking them back to western europe was greater than it was worth so they left them there after the Japanese surrender.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/16/2023 at 8:14 AM, Cheburashka said:

This is from a video about a destroyed T-80 in Ukraine. The video doesn't show much else, or I'm not able to pick up enough data from the short video to determine if it's a BV or an U. 

9oSj6YF.jpeg

I think that it's a "newly" built T-80BV as in not a T-80B hull upgraded to the T-80BV: 

tBqWlH4.jpeg

Also, I've seen that video on a picture site called 9GAG where people think that Russians use WOOD! instead of "metal" in their tanks. I know that a person who isn't a tank enthusiast doesn't know about composites or textolite in this specoific case, but common, thinking that Soviets used wood as a armor filler.....I bet that some news sites will also report this is being wood. https://9gag.com/gag/ajVLNEQ#comment

There was an article in a defence magazine in the late 70s that reported that the Soviets were experimenting with wood inserts, it was theorised that pressure treated wood could be quite effective against penetrators because the fibres would slow and bind it. The same article also mentioned the use of sand as an insert, given the filler in a T 72A, I wonder now how true it was?

• 2 weeks later...