Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Vehicles of the PLA: Now with refreshing new topic title!

Khand-e

3 hours ago, LoooSeR said:

What features makes VT-4P better than ZTZ-99A?

better turret armour layout, better era coverage, lower frontal profile (probably), a RCWS slaved to panoramic sight, modular design (customer can choose which ERA, which engine, and which gun they wnat to install regarding their financial status), and also it looks much more cooler that ZTZ-99A

The turrert of 99A is not the biggest issue,I think it is the conservative design of hull.99A has bigger enigne and transmission system than traditional Russian tank but remains setting its special armor in UFP.The result is the height of front hull and area of LFP are increased.

1 hour ago, TINDALOS said:

better turret armour layout, better era coverage, lower frontal profile (probably), a RCWS slaved to panoramic sight, modular design (customer can choose which ERA, which engine, and which gun they wnat to install regarding their financial status), and also it looks much more cooler that ZTZ-99A

On that i disagree :D

11 hours ago, TINDALOS said:

also it has an electromechanical stablizer similar to 2E58, while ZTZ-99A still uses a hydroelectrical stablizer

Getting rid of hydraulics is nice, and a certain safety feature. But it doesn't necessarily imply better performance - the very hydraulic stabilizer of the M1A2 was consistently called out for praise as the best stabilizer in the Greek trials (the electric system on Leo 2 improved being #2 ahead of the electric systems on LeClerc and CR2).

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

for some time I have been looking for information about the protection, transmission and the ZTZ99A engine, but, unfortunately, I have just started learning Chinese, so it is rather difficult for me to search for information in Chinese sources.

As far as I could understand, the engine-transmission part of the ZTZ99A consists, in fact, of two components: the 150HB-2 engine and the CH-1000 transmission unit?

For example, the question of the number of forward and reverse gears, as well as the maximum reverse speed, is still not clear? In particular, I found references to the presence of 3 (?) Reverse gears?

I have also come across some statements that the maximum speed when reversing can be in the range of 20-40 + km / h (40+ looks somewhat doubtful, but at 30 on R2 I am ready to believe)

Also, the operating modes remain unclear, at the moment, I assume that R provides a "safe" reverse gear for transportation (about 5-7 km / h, while R2 connection gives a "full" speed)

Or about a scheme similar to the Leopard, since, as far as I understand, when developing ZTZ99A, Chinese engineers looked at German MTU engines?

Spoiler

ZTZ99A, CH-1000 real.jpg

ZTZ99A, CH-1000.jpg

8 hours ago, DeXM said:

Hello,

for some time I have been looking for information about the protection, transmission and the ZTZ99A engine, but, unfortunately, I have just started learning Chinese, so it is rather difficult for me to search for information in Chinese sources.

As far as I could understand, the engine-transmission part of the ZTZ99A consists, in fact, of two components: the 150HB-2 engine and the CH-1000 transmission unit?

For example, the question of the number of forward and reverse gears, as well as the maximum reverse speed, is still not clear? In particular, I found references to the presence of 3 (?) Reverse gears?

I have also come across some statements that the maximum speed when reversing can be in the range of 20-40 + km / h (40+ looks somewhat doubtful, but at 30 on R2 I am ready to believe)

Also, the operating modes remain unclear, at the moment, I assume that R provides a "safe" reverse gear for transportation (about 5-7 km / h, while R2 connection gives a "full" speed)

Or about a scheme similar to the Leopard, since, as far as I understand, when developing ZTZ99A, Chinese engineers looked at German MTU engines?

Reveal hidden contents

ZTZ99A, CH-1000 real.jpg

ZTZ99A, CH-1000.jpg

These questions I have too but found no information other than mere forum speculations. Even on the Chinese 'side' of the internet. The Chinese are reluctant to share anything about their military engines, be it piston or turbine.

8 hours ago, DeXM said:

Hello,

Reveal hidden contents

ZTZ99A, CH-1000 real.jpg

ZTZ99A, CH-1000.jpg

Where did you get that second image from? 

5 hours ago, barbaria said:

The Chinese are reluctant to share anything about their military engines, be it piston or turbine.

Can’t be that hard, just find a YouTube video that doesn’t dub over it’s sound with a song or dialogue. If you hear a very annoying, high pitched whine: it’s a turbine. If you hear a rumbling sound: it’s a diesel. If you here both: it’s a turbo diesel. 

14 hours ago, alanch90 said:

Where did you get that second image from? 

Found it on one of the links in Baidu. The author of the message provided this clipping, may be from here:

However, I'm not sure I haven't seen this same clipping in other sources.

On 6/15/2021 at 6:05 PM, DeXM said:

Hello,

Hide contents

ZTZ99A, CH-1000 real.jpg

ZTZ99A, CH-1000.jpg

yes the Chinese do looked at the German MTU. At first (in the 80s) when ZTZ-99 was still under intense development they even considered AGT-1500, but for the reason we all knew AGT-1500 didn't become the egine of this chinese tank.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/16/2021 at 8:57 PM, TINDALOS said:

yes the Chinese do looked at the German MTU. At first (in the 80s) when ZTZ-99 was still under intense development they even considered AGT-1500, but for the reason we all knew AGT-1500 didn't become the egine of this chinese tank.

Thank you.

In general, I wanted to know if there are any details on this photo? Seemingly testing 125mm APFSDS. It's about 854mm LOS, which means 427mm/60, so it's getting closer to 829A3/A4 level,  but I don't have more detailed information (and I'm not even sure if it was about 125mm)

Spoiler

cZSPPn9GAgo.jpg?size=807x818&quality=96&

13 hours ago, DeXM said:

Thank you.

In general, I wanted to know if there are any details on this photo? Seemingly testing 125mm APFSDS. It's about 854mm LOS, which means 427mm/60, so it's getting closer to 829A3/A4 level,  but I don't have more detailed information (and I'm not even sure if it was about 125mm)

Reveal hidden contents

cZSPPn9GAgo.jpg?size=807x818&quality=96&

That was from HJ10 NLOS-ATGM

Edited by TINDALOS

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/16/2021 at 3:30 AM, DeXM said:

Found it on one of the links in Baidu. The author of the message provided this clipping, may be from here:

However, I'm not sure I haven't seen this same clipping in other sources.

In general, some Chinese weibo blogger such as Monochromelody (he is on SH), object 477 (he is also on SH), and 风味磁能原理样机 are well informed and have some quality information regarding Chinese and Russian AFVs. The rest of Chinese internet is just a huge garbage landfill filled with Chinese nationalists fanboy who tirelessly boasting about their "invincible wunderwaffe" and can't take any critics. They are... furious and ignorant for most of the time. Why did I know? Because I am a Chinese myself.

Here is 15's turret without composite armor module:

https://imgur.com/Qbtseue

For comparison, here is 99A's turret with out composite armor module

https://imgur.com/JcPJiMa

You can clearly see that 15 has a pretty pathetic armor, mainly due to the fact that it is not deigned to engage tanks such as T-90S.

The amour (composite plus era) was intended to defeat hand held anti tank weapons and medium caliber auto cannon rounds.

5 hours ago, TINDALOS said:

In general, some Chinese weibo blogger such as Monochromelody (he is on SH), object 477 (he is also on SH), and 风味磁能原理样机 are well informed and have some quality information regarding Chinese and Russian AFVs. The rest of Chinese internet is just a huge garbage landfill filled with Chinese nationalists fanboy who tirelessly boasting about their "invincible wunderwaffe" and can't take any critics. They are... furious and ignorant for most of the time. Why did I know? Because I am a Chinese myself.

I try to "filter" the information as much as my current awareness level allows.

I will give an example with a transmission: Yes, I found mention that 99a - three reversing transmission (what I wrote earlier), however, I did not find full-fledged documentary evidence (or I simply did not find the place where This could be done, due to the fact that I still can not fully read in Chinese). Therefore, you have to collect the information "on the grains".

P. S. wanted to ask what is the real limit on the length of the UPFSD used for autoloaders 99 and 99a? 740mm from after refinement, as on Soviet and Russian tanks, or will it be the opportunity to use the APFSDS even greater elongation? Also, I would like to ask if there are information about future projectiles that should replace the APFSDS Phase 3 (DTC10-125)?

1 hour ago, DeXM said:

I try to "filter" the information as much as my current awareness level allows.

I will give an example with a transmission: Yes, I found mention that 99a - three reversing transmission (what I wrote earlier), however, I did not find full-fledged documentary evidence (or I simply did not find the place where This could be done, due to the fact that I still can not fully read in Chinese). Therefore, you have to collect the information "on the grains".

P. S. wanted to ask what is the real limit on the length of the UPFSD used for autoloaders 99 and 99a? 740mm from after refinement, as on Soviet and Russian tanks, or will it be the opportunity to use the APFSDS even greater elongation? Also, I would like to ask if there are information about future projectiles that should replace the APFSDS Phase 3 (DTC10-125)?

For auto loaders, I'm afraid that 96 and 99 all have the same autoloader (at least dimension wise) because there are photos showing even the oldest 96 tank can still use the 125mm sabot phase 3. From a photo wich phase 2 and phase 3 been placed side by side we can see that 125mm sabot phase 3 don't have a significant improvement over phase 2 regarding their similar dimension, also from the official source we know that phase 3's penertration is 680mm around 2km at a initial speed of 1800m/s...