Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Post Election Thread: Democracy Dies In Darkness And You Can Help

T___A

I think the good thing about SH is that we all feel comfortable enough to disagree without worrying about people getting all stupid about it.  All the regulars here know when it's time to take a breath and step back.  It also helps that we all have a sense of humor.  

TBH, I think we get stupid here on a regular basis.

But the strength of SH is that if you do that, you get called out.

Fuck man. That's No Bueno. 

It says a lot about the fragility of certain individual's egos that they are not able to stand up to the vigors of political discourse. Especially if they hold a somewhat public position.

Isn't David Gerrold a friend of George Takei? If so, it doesn't really surprise me that he had that reaction. Takei decided that just being in the original Star Trek didn't get him enough attention, so he fostered a persona based entirely on his homosexuality, and channeled that into a Twitter account where he posts cringeworthy strawman gotchas in 140 characters or less.

Unfortunately, this kind of asininity appears to be contagious, so all his buddies have probably got it, too.

EDIT: Apparently Takei has been an asshole for a long time:

Shatner says he still doesn’t know the root of Takei’s ire or why he’s held a grudge for so long.

“I haven’t seen him in decades,” he said. “The mystery to me is that I don’t know the man. Years ago, I apparently did something that offended him. I don’t know what that is — and this thing has blackened my name for 50 years. That’s a little sick, isn’t it?”

As much as I love original Star Trek and Captain Kirk, I think it's pretty apparent that Shatner is a bit of a douche.  His saving grace is that as he has gotten older he realized that his only career option is playing the character of "Bill Shatner."  Anyhow, if anyone ever wants to waste two hours of their life, I dare them to suffer through Shatner's documentary film "The Captains" in which he interviews all the other actors that have played the lead character in the various star trek series.  My favorite part is Avery Brooks (Sisko is my favorite star trek captain in case you care) who pretty much refuses to take Shatner seriously, answering all his questions with jazz piano.

Once again, Walter derails a thread into talk of Star Trek.  Mission accomplished.

You know who I kind of feel sorry for in all this mess?  Melania.  She probably thought she had a fool proof plan.  Marry a billionaire, have his kid (anchorbaby!) and be young enough that he will die of old age before he gets around to upgrading to a new, younger trophy wife.  Then the crazy old coot gets the idea to run for president and somehow, against all probability and common sense, he actually wins.  It was probably bad enough that she had to get up in front of the nation and give a speech that her damn speech writers cribbed from Michelle Obama.  Even worse, she now has to move from New York to crappy Washington DC and interact with all sorts of politicians and their wives.  I'm sure it was much more fun for her to be married to the host of celebrity apprentice and hang out with New York glitterati.  Now, this poor girl from Slovenia has to act like she actually gives a crap about "Merica and anyone that would actually vote for her husband.  I'm sure she will have fun palling around with the wife of Mike Pence.  I mean, who wouldn't want to be around the glitz and glamour of the first lady of Indiana?  I'm sure she will be very interested in hearing about Karen Pence's business, "That's my Towel" Charms.

Help I've got salt poisoning:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmRc9N1WGjI

I love the guy who looks like his hair is made of pubes. You know, this guy:

8HVA0PB.png

"How could you elect Donald Trump? He's an idiot!" Big talk coming from someone who can't use "your" correctly.

Well, Trump must not be that stupid, since he won the presidency while spending like half what Hillary did.

Oh man, and "you don't elect a business man who says he's going to protect poor people. I mean, would you elect Bill Gates to protect poor people?"

LCpdQqC.png

You know who I kind of feel sorry for in all this mess?  Melania.  She probably thought she had a fool proof plan.  Marry a billionaire, have his kid (anchorbaby!) and be young enough that he will die of old age before he gets around to upgrading to a new, younger trophy wife.  Then the crazy old coot gets the idea to run for president and somehow, against all probability and common sense, he actually wins.  It was probably bad enough that she had to get up in front of the nation and give a speech that her damn speech writers cribbed from Michelle Obama.  Even worse, she now has to move from New York to crappy Washington DC and interact with all sorts of politicians and their wives.  I'm sure it was much more fun for her to be married to the host of celebrity apprentice and hang out with New York glitterati.  Now, this poor girl from Slovenia has to act like she actually gives a crap about "Merica and anyone that would actually vote for her husband.  I'm sure she will have fun palling around with the wife of Mike Pence.  I mean, who wouldn't want to be around the glitz and glamour of the first lady of Indiana?  I'm sure she will be very interested in hearing about Karen Pence's business, "That's my Towel" Charms.

That and being slut-shamed due to the fact that *gasp* she posed in the nude while working her way up through the modeling ranks.

Well. At least Americans don't vote for Presidents based on who they're married to.

Also Portland Police arrested two men in connection to a shooting that left a protester wounded in the leg. 

http://www.portlandoregon.gov/police/news/read.cfm?id=7711&ec=3&ch=twitter

Not to jump to any conclusions but judging by the names of the suspects and that they were wielding one ghetto TEC-9, they seem to fall more under the "Obama's Son" demographic as compared to a stereotypical Trump MAGA type.

http://katu.com/news/local/shooting-reported-on-morrison-bridge-during-protests

Also Portland Police arrested two men in connection to a shooting that left a protester wounded in the leg.

http://www.portlandoregon.gov/police/news/read.cfm?id=7711&ec=3&ch=twitter

Not to jump to any conclusions but judging by the names of the suspects and that they were wielding one ghetto TEC-9, they seem to fall more under the "Obama's Son" demographic as compared to a stereotypical Trump MAGA type.

http://katu.com/news/local/shooting-reported-on-morrison-bridge-during-protests

The shooters were fellow protesters/anarchists.

That's awesome. Mrs. The Captain is belly-laughing.

Joe Biden memes are the most I've seen of the guy in the past 8 years

As much as I love original Star Trek and Captain Kirk, I think it's pretty apparent that Shatner is a bit of a douche.  His saving grace is that as he has gotten older he realized that his only career option is playing the character of "Bill Shatner."  Anyhow, if anyone ever wants to waste two hours of their life, I dare them to suffer through Shatner's documentary film "The Captains" in which he interviews all the other actors that have played the lead character in the various star trek series.  My favorite part is Avery Brooks (Sisko is my favorite star trek captain in case you care) who pretty much refuses to take Shatner seriously, answering all his questions with jazz piano.

He wasn't bad narrating to nuclear bombs in Trinity and Beyond: The Atomic Bomb movie